Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The thought is once there are 20 teams, each plays each of the others once per season.

So for a Melbourne team, it’s one trip each to wa sa nsw qld and one of the new teams. 5 in all. The other 5 played once at home when they visit.

That leaves 9 against Melbourne teams, split between “home” and “away” this season that category is 7 mcg 4 docklands

I’d say we end up with 9 mcg. 5 docklands 5 travel

Assuming Tassie is 19th and no folding of GC, where does that 20th team come from?

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t know just discussing hypotheticals.

Despite Victoria’s population growing the fastes I don’t think it would be here.

If you wanted to give a giant shot of juju to country football clubs and towns, a rep team from the 'Murray Riverina' that extended to the coast and included the ACT would be an interesting addition.....if they had priority access to local kids and clubs it would send bush footy back into overdrive.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
There will never be less than 22 games as neither the players nor the AFL would accept a drop in revenue. Would cost Gil his bonus.
Reckon they will have 19 teams for the duration of a TV deal (5/6 years), while they work out if another team is viable and where. I predict Canberra. The population is growing, it is a high earning demographic and pre-Raiders footy was actually more popular than the Rugby codes. Canberra RAMS playing eight games @ Manuka and three in Albury from 2030. By that time the GIANTS should be solid enough in Sydney to move all games there. Lock it in.

There will never be less than 22 games as neither the players nor the AFL would accept a drop in revenue. Would cost Gil his bonus.
Reckon they will have 19 teams for the duration of a TV deal (5/6 years), while they work out if another team is viable and where. I predict Canberra. The population is growing, it is a high earning demographic and pre-Raiders footy was actually more popular than the Rugby codes. Canberra RAMS playing eight games @ Manuka and three in Albury from 2030. By that time the GIANTS should be solid enough in Sydney to move all games there. Lock it in.

22 x 9 = 198 matches

If 20 teams and everyone plays everyone once then there's 190 games

That wouldn't by much of a difference in terms of games played

Assuming Tassie is 19th and no folding of GC, where does that 20th team come from?
Northern suburbs of Perth will get one within the next 15 years (my guess).

It’ll be based in Joondalup (about 25km north of CBD).

22 x 9 = 198 matches

No, that would be 171 games.

A loss of 27 matches, that's 3 rounds and roughly 15% dip in product/revenue.

20 teams - 19 rounds x 10 matches = 190

The general formula for any size league is:
“If there are X teams in a league and each team plays every other team once, then the total number of games (N) to be played is given by N=(x^2-x)/2.”

20 teams means 10 games a round
19 games to play each other team once
19x10 is 190?

Where are you getting 171 from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looking forward to when we leave, I would love for the club to take a real forward thinking view and build a boutique stadium out at Dingley, a stadium that could hold 40k, it would be brilliant for home support. No good geographically for me, however I would happily make the quest out to sit amongst other mad Hawks in a hostile atmosphere.

Looking forward to when we leave, I would love for the club to take a real forward thinking view and build a boutique stadium out at Dingley, a stadium that could hold 40k, it would be brilliant for home support. No good geographically for me, however I would happily make the quest out to sit amongst other mad Hawks in a hostile atmosphere.
That would cost more than double by itself than the current projected cost of Dingley stage one, assuming the ground would even support a stadium, then there is the issue of supporting infrastructure around PT and parking, not to mention the on going costs of maintaining a stadium.

As cool as it would be I don't think we'd be able to pull it off without major support from the state government and a joint ownership model, not to mention the AFL would have to be on board or we'd get no games there ever.

Oct 20, 2006
Manhattan, New York
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For what it's worth, in my opinion our public strategy should be to hold onto Tasmania for all that it is worth.

Privately, we structure our campaign that it is the AFL, who again, are running us out of another successful market that we've spent 15-20 years developing. You remember everybody, just like they did to us with Waverley Park and our business strategy to be the team of eastern Melbourne and Victoria. People of the AFL, first they let the Kanga's in and tried to white ant everything we have done by trying to undermine our long term strategy and commitment to be Tasmania's number 1 supported team. By God despite their lousy intentions and sneaky best, we've prevailed and think that as a football club we've done a really remarkable job. We have always been there for Tasmanian football. Will the AFL be there for us. Woe is me, woe is me, woe is me - what are we to do, the AFL is destroying us again with unrelenting aggression.

Then at the appropriate moment good old Jeff then says, "look Gill we understand what you're trying to do, we're not happy about it, we love Tasmania and our members down there but if you make it worth our while, we have a pretty big investment we're undertaking with our new Kennedy Community Centre. If you are able to give us a really nice drink on the way out, a very favourable fixture (on our terms) for the next 10-15 years and some more access to blockbuster games while we retool our marketing and business strategy then we will fall on our swords and help the AFL out again. We 're prepared to sacrifice for the greater good and so you can thank us by showing us the money."

Then in 10-15 years time when their Tasmania disaster folds because no kid aged 18-30 wants to play there, the AFL gets sick and tired of underwriting their operations to the tune of $30-50 million annually to keep the team viable, sponsors realise the demographic of Tasmania is largely over 60 and the inevitable internal Tasmanian politics envelops the whole show; we can be ready with our training base complete, stronger financially than ever and if we so chose pick up down there where we left off - on even better terms than we get today.

If we play this smartly we can absolutely clean up. I know it sounds quite cold, but with the sentiments of Steve Kernahan in my head I say "We are Hawthorn and f_ck the rest"

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That would cost more than double by itself than the current projected cost of Dingley stage one, assuming the ground would even support a stadium, then there is the issue of supporting infrastructure around PT and parking, not to mention the on going costs of maintaining a stadium.

As cool as it would be I don't think we'd be able to pull it off without major support from the state government and a joint ownership model, not to mention the AFL would have to be on board or we'd get no games there ever.

Yes 100% it would be a monumental project and we would need state and federal funding, however there's no reason why it couldn't happen. The possibilities are endless, the ground could be used for big bash games and/or expansion, AFL football of course, entertainment as well as a push for any Olympic games/international sports that come to the country/state.

I am sure if Wyndham shire along with the new football side for the A-League can do it then we could.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clubs that grow and sustain their membership and support base anchor themselves at the MCG (the largest stadium, with significant General Admission, AFL and MCC reserves, and importantly located close to the city for corporate hospitality and support).

It’s worked for Richmond (post 1965), Collingwood (1990s onwards) and it’s been a major driver in our significant growth post 2007.

The clubs that lose momentum and stagnant are those that leave the MCG (think Essendon post 2000).

Essendon was the biggest club in Australia in the mid to late 1990s, they are still big but like Carlton they haven’t had the rapid growth in club support, membership and attendances that Richmond, Hawthorn and Collingwood have enjoyed.

Sure on field success plays a role but the accessibility of the MCG is a huge factor in club growth.

Ian Dicker, our saviour, identified our move to the MCG as the major reason behind our off field resurgence 10 years ago...

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...dodge-ng-94bd42f93aa626c09c54243ea20b5894.amp

Look no further then Geelong. The Cats are a highly successful AFL club but they are a middling provincial club, locked into playing at a boutique stadium with a run of the mill club membership.

That should not be our model

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
22 x 9 = 198 matches

Yes but each player would earn less. Channel 7 will still have just four games. There would still be less overall revenue, shared between more people compared with 19 or 22 teams playing 22 games.

Yes but each player would earn less. Channel 7 will still have just four games. There would still be less overall revenue, shared between more people compared with 19 or 22 teams playing 22 games.

There's an interesting theory that less is more

If you knew that there was only one Collingwood v Carlton match every year then does it get a bigger crowd, more corporate sales and high ratings than either of the two Collingwood v Carlton matches that often happen (repeat for Hawks v Cats / showdown etc and every rivalry out there)

So if you have 190 rather than 198 games (not much difference) but less of the rivalry matches does that make them bigger?

Tassie has been awesome for our club but I feel the time is right to come home.
We will be set up well with Dingley and will have the best facilities in the country.
The club is so strong off field that I am sure we will continue to flourish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back