Preview Round 2: Sydney vs Adelaide, Friday @ SCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are suggesting we play the same old shite footy Tad? We don't have the players to play that hard grafting type of footy anymore. The reason we are in the s**t us because Longmire won't effing change. But you would play same old same old when the rest of the comp has moved on? You would have us try to play the was Crouch, Matthews, Williams, Goodes, Kirk and ROK did?

Have a look at the bodies those guys had. They were all built. Built for a different style of footy than the footy played today. If we continue to play like that with these new rules we are going to get annihilated. You can't play that footy today. The mids need change. Change of personnel. Change of tactics etc. We need to run a lot of different sets through there, not just Kennedy, Hewett and Parker and then their replacement player, Papley.

Mills, Heeney, Jones, Paps, Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, Blakey, Hewett and Florent need to go through there at different times. We need to be unpredictable. At the moment every side knows to shut down Kennedy and you shut down Swans. Because nearly all our mid tactics revolve around Kennedy being the centre player.

I don't agree re the talent. But the talent is young. I think Florent, McInnerney, Rowbottom, Blakey, Ling, McCartin, Ronke, Hayward, Hewett, Melican, Aliir, Mills, Heeney etc are all highly talented. I think there are others in the reserves that are too. It is just a matter of time. Apparently Reynolds was very good V Can Dees. Tucker could be anything but we won't know until his knee is ready. He would have been top 10 had he not done his knee. I think Thurlow could be a very good player.

There is nothing wrong with the talent so stop bagging it. There is a lot wrong with the coaches changing types of players but bringing the same game plan to the table every week. The thing about that is sooner or later the players stop listening because they no longer believe.

Belief is everything.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

The real talented ones are a few years away but we have scrapped a few others together. The game between Cats & Pies last week was an in close hard contest. That is still how the tough finals will need to be played IMO. Forget the odd free flowing game where teams get a hold of the opposirion.
Last year's GF wasn't a open free flowing game either WW.

That's all I was saying. Our team is not full of talent & the most talented we have just stood in a 50 m area for his last two games because of his lack of fitness.
COR in is a positive inclusion as he represents what I am talking about.
Of I could be wrong WW but just an observation I have been making over the last few years when we've played poorly.

I don't smell a rat Wolfgang. I did last year when he was dropped and was proven to be red-faced, but I think if Horse was gonna drop either key defender after last week it would 100% be Melican, since Grundy looked pretty rock-solid (if as glacial as ever) and Horse even called on him to do some swingman stuff late in the game. I genuinely think Grundy must be injured as I don't think Horse would drop him, at least not on last week's effort where he was far from our worst of the key defenders.

Seeing him in the ruck last week only further typified his status of Warrior at this Footy Club. Has been the ultimate rock who has been robbed of All Australian Accolades more than once which would have been much deserving on his CV come the end. Anyway hope you are right.

Seeing him in the ruck last week only further typified his status of Warrior at this Footy Club. Has been the ultimate rock who has been robbed of All Australian Accolades more than once which would have been much deserving on his CV come the end. Anyway hope you are right.

Especially in 2016!!

I don't smell a rat Wolfgang. I did last year when he was dropped and was proven to be red-faced, but I think if Horse was gonna drop either key defender after last week it would 100% be Melican, since Grundy looked pretty rock-solid (if as glacial as ever) and Horse even called on him to do some swingman stuff late in the game. I genuinely think Grundy must be injured as I don't think Horse would drop him, at least not on last week's effort where he was far from our worst of the key defenders.

I don’t think he is injured.

I reckon when he signed last year he would have been told if fit, the club will prioritise Melican as he is the future.

Most here think we will miss the finals. Why play Grundy who will likely retire this year over the 22 year old version who maybe not quite as good right now (he isn’t far off current Grundy) but is the one that will be part of any future premiership? I can’t see how almost anyone here can argue otherwise given almost no one here thinks we will come near the flag.

Sentimentality doesn’t come into it, particularly given he would have almost certainly been told not to ‘expect’ to be selected for seniors in 2019.

Good changes. Happy Clarke wasn't dropped, despite what most were saying here. Played a better game than Dawson, and there's sadly currently no real role for Dawson in the side. That may change by the end of the season, but not sure right now.

Would have personally preferred Thurlow to COR, but happy to see COR get a crack.

Good changes. Happy Clarke wasn't dropped, despite what most were saying here. Played a better game than Dawson, and there's sadly currently no real role for Dawson in the side. That may change by the end of the season, but not sure right now.

Would have personally preferred Thurlow to COR, but happy to see COR get a crack.

Ideally I’d have played both Thurlow and COR

I don’t think he is injured.

I reckon when he signed last year he would have been told if fit, the club will prioritise Melican as he is the future.

Most here think we will miss the finals. Why play Grundy who will likely retire this year over the 22 year old version who maybe not quite as good right now (he isn’t far off current Grundy) but is the one that will be part of any future premiership? I can’t see how almost anyone here can argue otherwise given almost no one here thinks we will come near the flag.

Sentimentality doesn’t come into it, particularly given he would have almost certainly been told not to ‘expect’ to be selected for seniors in 2019.

Do not agree at all there Mase.

If we're going on that logic, why bother playing JPK when we could play Rowbottom? Why play Buddy when we could play Blakey and McCartin at CHF? Why bother playing McVeigh when we could've had COR from the beginning?

You are given Horse far too much credit if you think sentimentality doesn't come into his decision-making. He's one of the worst ones for it (bracing myself for the "but ROK!" counter-arguments.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting game for the defence coming up. The matchups for the last few years have tended to be Rampe - Walker, Smith - Betts, Grundy - Jenkins and Mills - Lynch.

Smith and Grundy are absent so changes will be needed. If Melican goes to Walker and Aliir goes to Jenkins, that leaves Rampe to take Betts which I'd be pretty interested in seeing and Mills to take Lynch.

If Rampe is sent to Walker, Melican would then go to Jenkins and Aliir to Lynch but then who goes to Betts? I'm not loving any other of Lloyd, McVeigh or O'Riordan to do the job. I think it's gotta be Rampe.

So you are suggesting we play the same old shite footy Tad? We don't have the players to play that hard grafting type of footy anymore. The reason we are in the s**t us because Longmire won't effing change. But you would play same old same old when the rest of the comp has moved on? You would have us try to play the was Crouch, Matthews, Williams, Goodes, Kirk and ROK did?

Have a look at the bodies those guys had. They were all built. Built for a different style of footy than the footy played today. If we continue to play like that with these new rules we are going to get annihilated. You can't play that footy today. The mids need change. Change of personnel. Change of tactics etc. We need to run a lot of different sets through there, not just Kennedy, Hewett and Parker and then their replacement player, Papley.

Mills, Heeney, Jones, Paps, Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, Blakey, Hewett and Florent need to go through there at different times. We need to be unpredictable. At the moment every side knows to shut down Kennedy and you shut down Swans. Because nearly all our mid tactics revolve around Kennedy being the centre player.

I don't agree re the talent. But the talent is young. I think Florent, McInnerney, Rowbottom, Blakey, Ling, McCartin, Ronke, Hayward, Hewett, Melican, Aliir, Mills, Heeney etc are all highly talented. I think there are others in the reserves that are too. It is just a matter of time. Apparently Reynolds was very good V Can Dees. Tucker could be anything but we won't know until his knee is ready. He would have been top 10 had he not done his knee. I think Thurlow could be a very good player.

There is nothing wrong with the talent so stop bagging it. There is a lot wrong with the coaches changing types of players but bringing the same game plan to the table every week. The thing about that is sooner or later the players stop listening because they no longer believe.

Belief is everything.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
So half the players you mentioned have yet to break into the team and are young as you admitted. Yet you're absolutely rinsing the coaches for not playing the style they might eventually be capable of playing? You're saying it's a matter of time for those players but you're not prepared to give the same time to the coaches...

Whether you like it or not the current starting squad isn't capable of playing the progressive style you are begging for. Instead of being naive maybe notice that we are in the middle of a transition. Half the team is from that hard edged era. Clearly the coaching staff and list management have realised what we need to progress hence why we've drafted those types you mentioned. Suck it up, this is 2009 all over again, and you know what happened after that... Not only does horse need a few more years before we decide his future, but he also deserves it as well as our respect and support as fans for what he has treated us to for a frckn decade. Stop being a bunch of spoilt shits.

Do not agree at all there Mase.

If we're going on that logic, why bother playing JPK when we could play Rowbottom? Why play Buddy when we could play Blakey and McCartin at CHF? Why bother playing McVeigh when we could've had COR from the beginning?

You are given Horse far too much credit if you think sentimentality doesn't come into his decision-making. He's one of the worst ones for it (bracing myself for the "but ROK!" counter-arguments.)

Because Melican and Grundy will give us close to similar output in the same position.

Your examples are a bit silly imo. The gap in performance between those is much larger as well as, with the exception of McVeigh, have longevity beyond 2019.

I also made the point I believe Grundy would have been told last year that he will be behind Melican when fit.

There is much more to list management and even selection than just “Horse”.

Very interesting game for the defence coming up. The matchups for the last few years have tended to be Rampe - Walker, Smith - Betts, Grundy - Jenkins and Mills - Lynch.

Smith and Grundy are absent so changes will be needed. If Melican goes to Walker and Aliir goes to Jenkins, that leaves Rampe to take Betts which I'd be pretty interested in seeing and Mills to take Lynch.

If Rampe is sent to Walker, Melican would then go to Jenkins and Aliir to Lynch but then who goes to Betts? I'm not loving any other of Lloyd, McVeigh or O'Riordan to do the job. I think it's gotta be Rampe.

I hope Harry gets first crack. Has the speed and agility to go with Eddie.

I hope Harry gets first crack. Has the speed and agility to go with Eddie.

Hadn't considered it, but I doubt it'll happen. I think the coaches really like being able to rely on Cunningham to hold down a wing now and can see him playing on Paul Seedsman all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back