Past #27: Will Walker - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/4 NM goals - go well Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

Unbelievable! I know it's sounds simplistic after a crap start to the season, but the way I look at it right now, seems like there is incompetence on every level at the club at present.

I am sure I read somewhere the redevelopment was meant to be complete by the start of the season? It's nowhere near complete and can't be ideal.
Our memberships mailout was clearly botched. I got an sms the other day to renew in time for the first home game. My membership packs arrived over a month ago. Now I am waiting to see if my bloody barcodes actually work on Sunday.
Our medical issues have way too many question marks. Sure we don't know everything but given what we do know, Jacobs had surgery which was meant to have fixed his issue. Anderson did a minor hammy in the intraclub, still no timeline, Walker wasted 6 months on recovery only to have a surgery now, half the list go down with calf injuries in the middle of the preseason FFS
Our gameplan seems to be miles off from where it needs to be given the evidence so far of what's required to win games under the current rules, our round 1 readiness has once again been not good enough, and even our basic desire to compete wasn't there this time.

What have we gotten right lately?

Unbelievable! I know it's sounds simplistic after a crap start to the season, but the way I look at it right now, seems like there is incompetence on every level at the club at present.

I am sure I read somewhere the redevelopment was meant to be complete by the start of the season? It's nowhere near complete and can't be ideal.
Our memberships mailout was clearly botched. I got an sms the other day to renew in time for the first home game. My membership packs arrived over a month ago. Now I am waiting to see if my bloody barcodes actually work on Sunday.
Our medical issues have way too many question marks. Sure we don't know everything but given what we do know, Jacobs had surgery which was meant to have fixed his issue. Anderson did a minor hammy in the intraclub, still no timeline, Walker wasted 6 months on recovery only to have a surgery now, half the list go down with calf injuries in the middle of the preseason FFS
Our gameplan seems to be miles off from where it needs to be given the evidence so far of what's required to win games under the current rules, our round 1 readiness has once again been not good enough, and even our basic desire to compete wasn't there this time.

Anderson will be back in 2-3 weeks, it's on the club's website since Tuesday.

Anderson will be back in 2-3 weeks, it's on the club's website since Tuesday.
Let's hope it's not the North "2 weeks", as I am sure we have seen 2-3 weeks prior to JLT, only to be changed to TBC without admission that he has reinjured it.

I'm feeling the same way. I have a lot of negative feelings around the club at the moment, not happy with memberships, not happy with the team selection, not happy with all the injuries, not happy with the media work (videos and interviews have slowed down, Mitch Jones' interviews are a snore fest), not happy with Brad and his transparency around selection (shying away from the Ahern question)

I'm feeling the same way. I have a lot of negative feelings around the club at the moment, not happy with memberships, not happy with the team selection, not happy with all the injuries, not happy with the media work (videos and interviews have slowed down, Mitch Jones' interviews are a snore fest), not happy with Brad and his transparency around selection (shying away from the Ahern question)
That "unhappyness" would have gone away if we were winning games. That's the ultimate criteria in sport. But when you have lost all your preseason games, and got absolutely smashed by a mediocre side in round 1, all those questions all of a sudden start to build up. That feeling will only get worse if we go down on Sunday. I understand Brisbane is much improved, but where are we heading if we can't beat Brisbane at home? We were supposed to have improved our list considerably adding the new players from other clubs. Where are we at, if we lose this?

Let's hope it's not the North "2 weeks", as I am sure we have seen 2-3 weeks prior to JLT, only to be changed to TBC without admission that he has reinjured it.
So how many weeks is that in total for something that was described as "a bit of soreness" when it happened at the intraclub?

if we had won the first game of the season, would have posted all this? or are you just emotional....

also since when did WW have surgery until now?

because surgery is typically the last resort. It's not ideal but with surgery the risk of re-injury is significantly higher. If it can heal naturally it's the correct course of action and the sensible one too. One players prefer when given the option too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah players getting injured, who would have thought

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Internal definitions of success for the club have changed a lot in the past 10-15 years - making grand finals and winning them is simply not one of them anymore.

The club will say they have been uniquely successful recently

1. the AFL(w) side introduced itself to the comp and acquitted itself well

2. we now have 4 games in Hobart to give our partners a 'more fuller season to enjoy'

3. we have own reserves side

4. we now have lights and changerooms at Arden St

5. our coach represents us well in the media

This is where the club is at now - and it will be that way until a renewed ruthlessness and singular focus to achieve our 5th flag is brought into the club.

The current personnel are not equipped and are not interested in doing this - they are too busy with these other important matters.

We need a fresh group of off field people (Board, CEO and coach) and we need them quickly if we think we can compete for our 5th flag anytime soon.

Internal definitions of success for the club have changed a lot in the past 10-15 years - making grand finals and winning them is simply not one of them anymore.

2. we now have 4 games in Hobart to give our partners a 'more fuller season to enjoy'

This is where the club is at now - and it will be that way until a renewed ruthlessness and singular focus to achieve our 5th flag is brought into the club.

The current personnel are not equipped and are not interested in doing this - they are too busy with these other important matters.

We need a fresh group of off field people (Board, CEO and coach) and we need them quickly if we think we can compete for our 5th flag anytime soon.

A - ****ING - MEN!

Its very clear the club itself is spread thin from the rapid expansion and is ill prepared for to the point where its affecting the on-field.

It takes a long time to even build a successful VFL team, and let's not forget its usually when the VFL team does well, so does the seniors, Richmond won both the VFL/AFL premierships in the same year. So, its alot of focus to divert across all areas for the club, and thats not even counting the AFLW and this obsessiion the club has with keeping up appearances off field.

The mindset is anything but on premierships, and if you ask me. Why ******* bother if that's the case.

The mindset is anything but on premierships, and if you ask me. Why ******* bother if that's the case.

Believe me, I have been having that discussion with myself regularly over the past 6 months. Why bother indeed.

Believe me, I have been having that discussion with myself regularly over the past 6 months. Why bother indeed.

Of all years, our 150th year, 20+ years since a premiership, what is it; 4 since the last prelim. The club needs to ask itself; what are we.

Are we a football club here to win? Winning = members, members = revenue

Or are we just the small local club that's charitable to the community but are honourable losers who are the scrappy-doo type figures of the AFL.

This is the kind of conversation the Bulldogs had, who are in a similar boat. I think we know what choice they made, and they're still pursuing that choice, its evident with where Beveridge is taking them.

if we had won the first game of the season, would have posted all this? or are you just emotional....

also since when did WW have surgery until now?

I have noticed all those things a while ago. It’s not overnight. And the result on the weekend was not merely a round 1 loss.

Regarding WW, he obviously should have had surgery. It’s a PCL injury that shouldn’t take 12 months to recover from.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on.

I have noticed all those things a while ago. It’s not overnight. And the result on the weekend was not merely a round 1 loss.

Regarding WW, he obviously should have had surgery. It’s a PCL injury that shouldn’t take 12 months to recover from.

Obviously? I think you are reaching here. It's sport, sometimes people get injured.

images.jpeg-1.jpeg

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back