Remove this Banner Ad

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Planning on just rocking up on the day and buying a general admission pass at the gate so I can walk around.
Will that work?
Went to the Thursday at Monte Carlo in 2017 because my assets don't include a super yacht.

General admission at Monaco is only a rocky hill opposite the pit lane entry. As far as I was aware you can't wander around the track as you would at Albert Park.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do your mates come over to “visit” your mum or “do” your Mum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is lots of good advice given in this thread and it's usually in good spirits.

You can't "do" a city or country, they are not people. You can visit them and have great experiences.

:think:

Sep 4, 2007
Melbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United, New York Knicks
Then I'd go Wroclaw or Gdansk mate.

Torun is amazing too, and Malbork is near it.

If you're set on Warsaw, I'd try and spend a night in Poznan as well; beautiful place.

As I said, Warsaw is a great place to live, and very cool city, but it was destroyed during WWII, so it isn't as authentic or interesting as the old towns.
I've spent the last 2.5 years living in Poland. Wroclaw is an absolute must imo. Second best city to visit behind Krakow.

Lodz is worth mentioning too. Everyone seems to s**t on it, but imo worth a visit.

Warsaw is honestly quite average imo. Some nice museums etc, but many, many better cities to see if Poland as you mentioned.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've spent the last 2.5 years living in Poland. Wroclaw is an absolute must imo. Second best city to visit behind Krakow.

Lodz is worth mentioning too. Everyone seems to s**t on it, but imo worth a visit.

Warsaw is honestly quite average imo. Some nice museums etc, but many, many better cities to see if Poland as you mentioned.

You’re in Warsaw mate?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Yes would like to hear this. Currently booking with the GF for early July. Leaving it late but had to wait for something to happen or not to book.

Also, am going to be in Bulgaria for 4 nights after this we have maybe 5 days to finish off before flying out of Paris. Would love some recommendations of nearby countries to conclude our tour, havent seen much if at all any of these countries.

Romania is simply stunning. Especially Brasov, Sibiu and Sighisoara.

Going in 3 weeks actually, to explore the Emilia Romanga region.
Yeh me too we leave on Monday...5 nights Bologna, doing a day trip to Ravenna
Then to Parma,
Giro d ‘Italia starts while we are there which should be interesting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Off tomorrow. Rome, Vernazza, Florence, Santroini, Budapest, Kotor and Budva. Can't ******* wait.

Kotor is beautiful. My girlfriend and I did a trip last year and only had 4 days in Montenegro, we were meant to spend 2 in Kotor and 2 in Budva. Once we got to Kotor we just cancelled Budva. Kotor was everything I wanted Dubrovnik to be, and while not quite as beautiful or big it was much more quiet and quaint without all the tourist shops (obviously there is still some) and GoT walking tours clogging the joint up. Make sure you walk up the hill for sunset, breathtaking figuratively and literally.

Off tomorrow. Rome, Vernazza, Florence, Santroini, Budapest, Kotor and Budva. Can't ******* wait.
Rome is an awesome place as far as the history and monuments go but isvreally dodgy away from the main areas.

Santorini is pretty but super boring and over rated imo

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hello,

I’m looking for some travel advice. If you could be so kind and humour me, that would be great. I’m not after the smart arsed responses. Just a few genuine questions I can head back to my family with.

The family and I are looking at spreading our wings and we want to travel to London and Europe sometime in the next 6 to 18 months. We have extensively done America and now it is time to head West to the mother country and look around some of Europe.

I have a few questions if some well adverse travellers could help answer for me

1) what is the cost of food like? Is it relatively cheaper, more expensive or on par with America?

2) what about the quality of food?

3) I’ve heard petrol in the UK is very expensive, is this correct?

4) should we self drive, train or bus it with public transport.

5) does the UK have good shopping with excellent outlet malls like in America. Are clothes, make-up, designer clothes and sports shoes and handbag quite cheap like They are in America or are they over priced items like we have here in Australia.

And any must see places you would recommend to a first time European traveler?

I think we want to do the Christmas markets in Germany. That’s a must.

So, please be kind.

Thank you in advance.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Hello,

I’m looking for some travel advice. If you could be so kind and humour me, that would be great. I’m not after the smart arsed responses. Just a few genuine questions I can head back to my family with.

The family and I are looking at spreading our wings and we want to travel to London and Europe sometime in the next 6 to 18 months. We have extensively done America and now it is time to head West to the mother country and look around some of Europe.

1) what is the cost of food like? Is it relatively cheaper, more expensive or on par with America?

5) does the UK have good shopping with excellent outlet malls like in America. Are clothes, make-up, designer clothes and sports shoes and handbag quite cheap like They are in America or are they over priced items like we have here in Australia.

So, please be kind.

Thank you in advance.

I’ll answer what I can

2) food quality is always dependent on location, but as long as you eat in the busy parts of town you can’t really go wrong - most things will be fresh and good quality

3) in Germany we pay €1,50/L on average for 98 octane petrol

4) public transport in the cities, train or drive between. Trains are super efficient and take you to the centre of town. Also you see more countryside on trains

What to see - Switzerland. Place is expensive but the landscapes are absolutely amazing. Barcelona is an incredible place and still warmish in the winter months. The basque region is incredible for food and beaches. Scotland for scenery, whiskey and good food. Germany has nice architecture and depending on where you are, beautiful village feeling cities. Berlin is cool but overwhelming - great for war history. Hamburg is a really cool place to hang out. So to Munich.

Christmas markets - if you’re coming from London, hanburg is the easiest/best. If you’re further south, Nuremberg or Munich are even better.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
2) food quality is always dependent on location, but as long as you eat in the busy parts of town you can’t really go wrong - most things will be fresh and good quality
Really?

In my experience, food right in the middle of touristy areas is pretty basic (toasted sandwiches, coffee) and pretty expensive. Places like Rome and Paris and let's say beach front restaurants in Spain, that's where you'll get stung. Overpriced and just okay. You're better off going to an inner suburb where the price goes down a lot, the service is friendlier, and there's less of a vultury way of serving people.

Food in the UK is pretty difficult. In the last couple of years it's become hugely inspired by Australian cafés. Lots of old buildings with exposed pipes and that sort of thing, lots of coffees and café style lunches. If you've ever gone to a trendy café in Australia, that's what you'll get. That or you'll end up at a Nero or Costa.

Eating kebabs, fried chicken, peas and fish and chips is pretty cheap and vibey but you get tired of that quickly. It's really hard to get cheap or easy Vietnamese, Japanese like we have in Australia. It's either franchised or really expensive.

The UK is sick but food isn't the strong suit.

Then again it's probably comparable to the UK in that way.

Hello,

So, please be kind.

Thank you in advance.

London is much more expensive than America.

Food quality is somewhere between the expensive high quality food in America and the cheap buffet crap in the US

You will not get the outlet malls like in America. No where is like them

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Really?

In my experience, food right in the middle of touristy areas is pretty basic (toasted sandwiches, coffee) and pretty expensive. Places like Rome and Paris and let's say beach front restaurants in Spain, that's where you'll get stung. Overpriced and just okay. You're better off going to an inner suburb where the price goes down a lot, the service is friendlier, and there's less of a vultury way of serving people.

Food in the UK is pretty difficult. In the last couple of years it's become hugely inspired by Australian cafés. Lots of old buildings with exposed pipes and that sort of thing, lots of coffees and café style lunches. If you've ever gone to a trendy café in Australia, that's what you'll get. That or you'll end up at a Nero or Costa.

Eating kebabs, fried chicken, peas and fish and chips is pretty cheap and vibey but you get tired of that quickly. It's really hard to get cheap or easy Vietnamese, Japanese like we have in Australia. It's either franchised or really expensive.

The UK is sick but food isn't the strong suit.

Then again it's probably comparable to the UK in that way.

Yes I should have specified - not tourist areas. Local inner city suburbs.

Eg - in Barcelona, avoid la rambla like the plague - walk through el born, el raval or el gotico and listen for packed restaurants/hordes of people

SAN Sebastian you don’t have that problem in the old town because everything is amazing

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

Can be more expensive or on par, just depends on where you are at the time. The quality will generally be better however most of the time. Just don't expect the same serving sizes.

Never driven in Europe so can't help in this regard.

Mainland Europe and London you should certainly use train and public transport. Rest of the UK, look at hiring a car for a few days. But seriously travelling by train in Europe is so simple and relaxing

Better priced than here, but no outlet malls and not as cheap as the US. Its just normal retail shopping.

Austria is a place I love, so any of Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna I would recommend. I also love Paris but I know that can be different for others. Also look at what sporting events you can attend while there. I managed to get to many different Soccer match across different leagues, Rugby union and even Ski jumping. A good way to spend time mixing with the locals.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone ever spent like six weeks in the UK? With just short-term, like three day Ryanair trips to the continent?

Ie based yourself in a certain city and got like two weeks of accommodation or whatever?

Was it cheaper? Was it boring?

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Anyone ever spent like six weeks in the UK? With just short-term, like three day Ryanair trips to the continent?

Ie based yourself in a certain city and got like two weeks of accommodation or whatever?

Was it cheaper? Was it boring?

You’ll save up to 50% by booking a month or more at the same place on Airbnb

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Rome is way to busy these days. I'll never go back there again.

Was there December 21-24 and it was much quieter than I'd imagine any other time of the year. Breezed through airport security on the 24th in under a minute, colosseum queue was all of 2 people in front of me and the public transport wasn't nearly as full as I was expecting. It's all about finding the right times to visit busy places.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back