List Mgmt. Current Contract Status (Updated list in OP)

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not sure if it factors in with bargaining position...
I'd rather go into a negotiation knowing I could 'technically' hold on to them if the offered deal was atrocious.

And, for sure, in the past there's been overpaying as a part of these early extensions but in our particular circumstance (ie back to square one) I'd have no issue overpaying Rankine and Lukosius — solely if it gives us slightly more breathing room and flexibility to retain. I'm not sure we improve enough in the next 12 months to feel entirely comfortable about keeping players with huge offers being whispered in their ears.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After re-signing Sexton, the free agents that remain this year are Day, Nicholls, Rischitelli and Thompson. You'd have to think Thompson will re-sign given he won't be playing this year and Day has already indicated he wants to stay. Rischitelli will likely retire and I'd guess Nicholls will be delisted. Probably the only free agency concern this year was Sexton and that's sorted now.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
After re-signing Sexton, the free agents that remain this year are Day, Nicholls, Rischitelli and Thompson. You'd have to think Thompson will re-sign given he won't be playing this year and Day has already indicated he wants to stay. Rischitelli will likely retire and I'd guess Nicholls will be delisted. Probably the only free agency concern this year was Sexton and that's sorted now.
Of the free agents you are right. Still of re-signing, Martin and Wright as well as the new recruits, I will feel a lot better when they are signed up.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Prior to looking at the list I was that it would be hard to clear spots but it may actually be plenty of spots up for grabs:

Day
Nicholls
Leslie
Possibly Ah Chee as he's not established himself in the best 22 yet
Rischatelli
Nutting
Heron
Martin may not re-sign
Schonefeld may be asked to go on the rookie list

On CPH1725 using BigFooty.com mobile app

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
i guess the long contracts for these guys were because we could guarantee to have a cost priced long term contract on the list for someone that may go on and be a highly valuable player.. could be great value of corbett.. the major downside, are we stuck with 4 year for a sub AFL standard player in Burgess.. time will tell.

Brenton87

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Hopefully Burgess can step up to the intensity of AFL footy see looked out of place the last few weeks but looked better as a defender than a forward
i guess the long contracts for these guys were because we could guarantee to have a cost priced long term contract on the list for someone that may go on and be a highly valuable player.. could be great value of corbett.. the major downside, are we stuck with 4 year for a sub AFL standard player in Burgess.. time will tell.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Genuinely surprised to hear about Thompson re signing. He is gold coast thru and thru, our best defender when he is up and running and out of contract... So I guess it was always going to happen?

Going to be an interesting 4 years.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Genuinely surprised to hear about Thompson re signing. He is gold coast thru and thru, our best defender when he is up and running and out of contract... So I guess it was always going to happen?

Going to be an interesting 4 years.
Only on 103 games thanks to injury
I'd be stoked if we got get him to at least 175 games.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I'm pretty sure Corbett and Burgess signed extensions for the 4 years but Sam is only for 2 years if my memory serves me correctly. If so he deserves an extension for the 4 years aswell, in great form.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ahhh that’s right, thanks for clearing that up

Back