MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Imma be completely honest here - I actually had a dream last night I was watching the doggies and Tom Boyd came steaming out on a lead and... dropped a chest mark. And I thought oh geez here we go again, it was quite gutting.

So I wake up and console myself it was only a dream, but still somewhat disquietened. Then I log into the bigfooties and happen on this masterful essay which has got me all excited again.

It's probably a reasonable indicator of how much we've got riding on this though. I haven't had any nightmares about Shane Biggs shanking kicks off the half back flank.
If you hadn’t woken up then you would have foreseen the rest of the GF! Inc the Shiggsy magic segment :)

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My expectations aren’t high for him (Leigh Brown?), but the thing is, at his size and with his number of games played, he still has plenty of room for improvement.

At the end of the same age season that Tom is this year, Charlie Dixon had played 49 games, kicked 53 goals and taken 52 contested marks.

Tom’s at 61 games, 50 goals and 56 contested marks right now.

The sad thing for Tom is that under most other coaches he would have been given a few seasons to learn how to play as a KPF. Looking at development alone, I think he would have been better off at another club.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I don't think he needs to improve, just needs to play forward which he hasn't done a whole lot in the past couple of years. From memory he only played two games as a forward last year: First game he kicked 2 goals, second he kicked 1.3. Needs to work on accuracy but besides that he was doing all the right things. After that he was sent back into the ruck and looked pretty average, but if he can play second fiddle to English or Trengove I think he'll be a pretty good forward option.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
When I was a toddler my Mum had to take me to the Doctor because I was getting these awful, throbbing headaches constantly. They did and MRI and then a couple of weeks later called us in to discuss the results. The Doctor said I have an abnormally large brain which was putting pressure on my skull. He said that my brain is 33% larger than a normal person. They had to drill a hole in my skull to drain some of the protective liquid around my brain to release the pressure. The Doctor said that my skull will grow to accommodate my brain and it did.

Just as I developed an abnormally large brain, I think for some reason or another Boyd's hands didn't develop to the size they were supposed to and as a result he has a lot of trouble marking the ball.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Boyd at training this morning. Just got told he has the all clear to play next week.

Untitled.png

Northern Dogs

All Australian
Jul 9, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When I was a toddler my Mum had to take me to the Doctor because I was getting these awful, throbbing headaches constantly. They did and MRI and then a couple of weeks later called us in to discuss the results. The Doctor said I have an abnormally large brain which was putting pressure on my skull. He said that my brain is 33% larger than a normal person. They had to drill a hole in my skull to drain some of the protective liquid around my brain to release the pressure. The Doctor said that my skull will grow to accommodate my brain and it did.

Just as I developed an abnormally large brain, I think for some reason or another Boyd's hands didn't develop to the size they were supposed to and as a result he has a lot of trouble marking the ball.

Did the larger brain inhibit the ability to think clearly?;):D

How did the drilling procedure go - no complications?

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This thread is setting up perfectly for Boyd to come back and forge out a great career. And the narrative will turn to how great it was we looked after our own and supported mental health as genuinely as a shattered leg would be. Conveniently ignoring the sniping.

The club offered Boyd the contract. Zero signs the club has any financial problems from it.

Boyd played a fantastic finals series and dominated the GF. The only premiership I've been alive for.

Boyd has openly acknowledged he's been suffering from major mental health problems. And more recently difficult back issues.

Awesomely Boyd appears to recovering.

Boyd is 23 and is a very big unit.

Boyd's in-game decision making and skills are good. He's got a footy brain and generally good execution. His ruck and midfield abilities are surprisingly good and were unexpected.

Boyd does have a weakness with holding marks to date. He gets hands to it but they dont stick often enough. He could also play with more aggression and confidence. Not hard to see a potential connection between these problems and major mental health issues. The impact of confidence (or lack of) has such a huge bearing on sporting performance but most people ignore cause it's fluffy.

The only thing I'm rooting for with Boyd is to get well and do his best. Just like I did for Clay and his knees.

He's one of us. He came to us in our darkest hour (Griff walking out). He's a fallen premiership hero with a massive chance of recovering at only 23.

I get sick of the sniping and the passive digs at him. It's poor taste and scummy.

AJARWA

All Australian
Mar 2, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
"
This thread is setting up perfectly for Boyd to come back and forge out a great career. And the narrative will turn to how great it was we looked after our own and supported mental health as genuinely as a shattered leg would be. Conveniently ignoring the sniping.

The club offered Boyd the contract. Zero signs the club has any financial problems from it.

Boyd played a fantastic finals series and dominated the GF. The only premiership I've been alive for.

Boyd has openly acknowledged he's been suffering from major mental health problems. And more recently difficult back issues.

Boyd's in-game decision making and skills are good. He's got a footy brain and generally good execution. His ruck and midfield abilities are surprisingly good and were unexpected.

Boyd does have a weakness with holding marks to date. He gets hands to it but they dont stick often enough. He could also play with more aggression and confidence. Not hard to see a potential connection between these problems and major mental health issues. The impact of confidence (or lack of) has such a huge bearing on sporting performance but most people ignore cause it's fluffy.

The only thing I'm rooting for with Boyd is to get well and do his best. Just like I did for Clay and his knees.

He's one of us. He came to us in our darkest hour (Griff walking out). He's a fallen premiership hero with a massive chance of recovering at only 23.

I get sick of the sniping and the passive digs at him. It's poor taste and scummy.
Just about anyone who'd only played a handful of games and was offered $7,000,000 over seven years would have come to us at the end of 2014.

There's a few posters that get a bit sensitive over the Boyd criticisms. Fact is he's one of the highest paid players on our list and has underperformed for various reasons, since the GF. It's not unreasonable for supporters to be losing patience.

Last edited:

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Brilliant post mate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

"

Just about anyone who'd only played a handful of games and was offered $7,000,000 over seven years would have come to us at the end of 2014.

There's a few posters that get a bit sensitive over the Boyd criticisms. Fact is he's one of the highest paid players on our list and has underperformed for various reasons, since the GF. It's not unreasonable for supporters to be losing patience.
Once we start moving away from the old-fashioned "oh we should PAY players what they DESERVE" and put things through the analysis of "what's the best way to use our salary cap, in combination with the draft, moving forward as a form of list strategy" the contract is nowhere near as bad. Also, it's a daft way way to look at list management. The former's an old-fashioned way of looking at the game and it doesn't win you premierships. The latter wins you flags as a better strategy of, you know, winning games.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Mason Cox is twice the footballer as Boyd. Easily. Think about that for a second.

Tom did his job, got paid and we are very thankful for it.

If he stays he should be on minimum $ otherwise move on... Quickly
This comment is highly inaccurate and factually wrong. TBoyd anytime for Cox. No Premiership BECAUSE HE CANNOT WIN BBBBIIIIIGGGGG GAMES! TBOYD WON THAT GAME FOR US! PERIOD

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan

Post of the year nomination already, the most common sense post I have ever read. And say Boyd does overcomes his issues and goes on to be a very solid player, wonder how many of those potting him will owe up to being wrong in the sometimes over the top cheap shots? Probably only a couple.

People are judging him too much purely because of the size of his pay slip, even if he was a solid player kicking a few goals, people will still sook that he isn't playing like a million dollar man. He wasn't the one who offered or negotiated the deal. The club was desperate for a key forward, the only way to pry one from another club was to offer big money and a good trade deal. Boyd would be a freaking idiot if he didn't accept that once in a lifetime deal. Many seem to think we would have been fine without him, but the reality is, no Boyd, no Premiership in 2016 full stop.

After all, aren't we supposed to be more invested in team things like Premierships? Or are people more obsessed with individuals having a good ten year career and stuff all to show for? I'm happy to sign another ten Boyd like deals in a row if it means another ten flags, even if the individual doesn't play like a million dollars.

I've always rated Boyd, he has the size to really bully defenders in this league. Confidence and marking (something I've repeatedly brought up), is the only thing holding him back aside from injuries and not getting continuity in one position. Now that Bevo has finally moved on from 2016 and admitted its now about the future, hopefully Boyd can get a full season in as a forward. Get him to spend time with Barry Hall, minus the king hits.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors

I think that as you developed as a child, your cranium over expanded, thus creating a lot of space for your brain. This causes your brain to bounce all over inside your cranium. That is the reason why you woffle so much and talk so much nonsense, which at times is funny. :D:D:D:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors

Well said. Kudos to you House of Dhal.

Back