2018 Grand Finalists - West Coast vs Collingwood ##Optus Stadium Friday 12th July## Round 17, 2019 ( Edited page 15 current discussion )

Who wins the rematch of the 2018 Grand Final between the Black and White Army and the Eagles

• Collingwood - They'll be too hungry with an added chip on their shoulder - Blowout Victory

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • West Coast - Dom Sheed will have a blinder and break their hearts at the death again

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Pies in a close one

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Eagles to roll at the G winning comprehensively

Votes: 38 19.7%

• Total voters

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm tipping us. Really quite surprised how little faith people have been showing in WCE since the grandy. We were the best team in the finals and neck and neck with Richmond all last year. We beat Collingwood twice at the MCG. We played well last night. Cwood certainly aren't s**t but yeah, there's no real reason why we can't beat them. Should be a good game either way :thumbsu:

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood Easy. They will have fire in them.

West Coast remind me a bit like Richmond structurally... They have an excellent spine - McGovern, Yeo, down to Darling and Kennedy. Stop these overhead marking players and they can be beaten. We should win the midfield battle and having Elliot down forward and Roughead down back gives us more overhead marking options to compete with the McGovern/Kennedy types. And Beams makes a huge difference to our side too.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Collingwood Easy. They will have fire in them.

West Coast remind me a bit like Richmond structurally... They have an excellent spine - McGovern, Yeo, down to Darling and Kennedy. Stop these overhead marking players and they can be beaten. We should win the midfield battle and having Elliot down forward and Roughead down back gives us more overhead marking options to compete with the McGovern/Kennedy types. And Beams makes a huge difference to our side too.
As does gaff to ours

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
West Coast deserve to be favourites, I think mentally it's a super important game for Collingwood. Win this and our players will gain enormous belief.
Funny how seasons can be built on the back of a game.

2006 beating geelong at the cattery for us after being miles behind set our season up with self belief.

I think last year our season was set up on the back of beating your mob at the g for the first time in 20+ years.

That self belief gets forged in the crucible of an important game and a stong mentality ensues from then on.

Very important game for both teams - a blowout either way would be damaging for the loser - a close win for either side very positive for the winner

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
What's interesting as was pretty evident was the similar styles in play. WC have certainly upped their pressure to turnover and then spread to out transition on the ball win.

The giants did a lot right but just didn't convert I50 (which they had more of!)but they were never going to win that game.

Collingwood slightly different, it's evident their transition game has gone up a notch but they haven't lost any of the "swarm" they're noted for.

WC should win this comfortably if you look at both games on face value, 3-4 goal win.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
What's scary when you consider these numbers is the margin at the end........... check the I50 difference and then the margin the other way!

1553995623060.png

Then you consider these around the ball domination figures and the margin is not as much as WC's win.

1553995745734.png

We have a clear competition winning contender then Collingwood and then a step back to Geelong ......... at the minute.

I changed my mind - if we can get within 5 goals that'll be a win.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
What's scary when you consider these numbers is the margin at the end........... check the I50 difference and then the margin the other way!

View attachment 645237

Then you consider these around the ball domination figures and the margin is not as much as WC's win.

View attachment 645243

We have a clear competition winning contender then Collingwood and then a step back to Geelong ......... at the minute.

I changed my mind - if we can get within 5 goals that'll be a win.
Comes down to your midfield.

The first half the giants absolutely dominated our mids - thats where the i50 difference was

They just kept bombing it in though - and mcgov and barrass laughed and said cheers.

Second half our mids broke even then got on top.

Thats when we started thrashing them.

But they had significant outs - kelly for one - and hutch really stopped conigs

I dont see collingwoods mids being as easy to stop nor do i see their forwards as easy to outmark.

Also i dont see your mids being as dumb and bombing like they did - feel welcome to by all means.

Be interesting to see if shuey or yeo gets the tag this time - i think shuey gets his 30+ tagged or not so bucks might try frustrate yeo again.

Hope this is an epic game!!

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
Looking forward to this a lot.

Interesting to consider how these teams will have changed on paper since the GF. The most likely line up for west coast will be something like-

Out: Lycett, Lecras, Rioli, Schofield, Venables
In: Hickey, Gaff, Petruccelle, Sheppard, Allen

Assuming Cox gets off, and no other changes the pies would be- I think?-

Out: Sier, Hoskin-Elliot, Goldsack, Adams
In: Beams, Roughead, Elliott, Moore

I would say the pies are marginally stronger on paper, and west coast are about the same as the GF, with the addition of Gaff cancelling out the loss of Rioli and Lycett.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Comes down to your midfield.

The first half the giants absolutely dominated our mids - thats where the i50 difference was

They just kept bombing it in though - and mcgov and barrass laughed and said cheers.

Second half our mids broke even then got on top.

Thats when we started thrashing them.

But they had significant outs - kelly for one - and hutch really stopped conigs

I dont see collingwoods mids being as easy to stop nor do i see their forwards as easy to outmark.

Also i dont see your mids being as dumb and bombing like they did - feel welcome to by all means.

Be interesting to see if shuey or yeo gets the tag this time - i think shuey gets his 30+ tagged or not so bucks might try frustrate yeo again.

Hope this is an epic game!!

It'll be epic alright!

Just seem to think the "swarm" and "spread" and transition game is similar............. just that bit cleaner from WC than the Pies but.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
It's unfortunate we only play Richmond once this year. 8 points would've been handy.
If you beat richmond twice in a year shouldnt you really get 9 points in honour of .... you know... 9+hmond

You had your time in the sun tiges - back to being the butt of the joke again ;)

SuperSteele22

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Both played great footy this weekend. Should be a cracker. This is why you dont play GF rematches in round 1. Both teams needed to warm up and the game will be better for it.
I have been known to say that the GF rematch should be first up but it is hard to disagree with this point.

Will be interesting to see what we’ve learnt from round one against the Cats and how we go against a good side after beating up a softer opponent on Thursday. Tipping a pretty fierce contest.

Back