Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I can't believe how much he looks like Eddie Betts. o_O

They obviously changed the later editions to reflect the Crows win. They couldn't resist making a Crows win into front page news could they. Not sure which I prefer.

To make matters worse this morning's Monopoly Times followed on from Seven showing footage of Bruce Abernethy and Darren Smith playing in Crow jumpers last night. First Abba and Smithy then Kutch wearing the enemy colours, all in the same weekend. Very hard to take. :(

Last edited:

scotty13

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Adelaidenow... 1 tiny Port Adelaide article on the main page this morning in the 'exclusive suscriber' section that in itself is tiny... there is
1 Crows move to North Adelaide article
2 Patrick Dangerfield articles
5 other crow articles (between afl, sanfl and aflw teams)
2 sanfl articles
bombers article and
a wce/gws article...

muppets the lot of them... where can I go (not the afl site cause I hate it) to get footy news? ABC?

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Adelaidenow... 1 tiny Port Adelaide article on the main page this morning in the 'exclusive suscriber' section that in itself is tiny... there is
1 Crows move to North Adelaide article
2 Patrick Dangerfield articles
5 other crow articles (between afl, sanfl and aflw teams)
2 sanfl articles
bombers article and
a wce/gws article...

muppets the lot of them... where can I go (not the afl site cause I hate it) to get footy news? ABC?
Just follow the links posted in Big Footy or listen to SEN SA or Port Fan Radio

Our fans breakdowns of the games in the post-match thread are always better than the advertisers take on anything

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
Who the f*** writes these articles?

1553999876825.png

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Who the f*** writes these articles?

View attachment 645283
You cut out the pic of Scott Lycett being tackled that accompanies that. Not sure if that is supposed to be Jack Watts being tackled, Steven Motlop kicking a goal or Justin Westhoff celebrating a win in his 200th game. o_O

That entire article by Richard Earle is amateurish.

Point 2 is about Connor Rozee kicking a couple of goals but the accompanying pic is of Lycett celebrating a goal with SPP.

1554001804896.png

Ten of Lycett's 17 contested possessions were contested.:rolleyes:

1554001898404.png

For some reasons he brings the Camry Crows into our drafting of Rozee.:think:

1554002005550.png

Maybe Ports had identified Rozee as a talent and didn't just draft him because the Camry Crows were keen on him.

Shakes head and accepts that journalistic standards are pretty much non-existent in #cringelaide

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Today's Monopoly Times is totally vomit worthy.

If those running the PAFC do not see why they should have gone 1000% for a women's team today's paper should give them a good idea. The PAFC has dropped the ball imo as they are more interested in a warm and fuzzy community profile than concentrating on what should be our core business- football.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?

If those running the PAFC do not see why they should have gone 1000% for a women's team today's paper should give them a good idea. The PAFC has dropped the ball imo as they are more interested in a warm and fuzzy community profile than concentrating on what should be our core business- football.
We were never going to get the first W team.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You should stop buying The Advertiser/Adelaidenow/Monopoly Times. It triggers you way too much.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I too am mighty pissed we once again play second fiddle to that cunning mob.
They got a massive advantage by being the first SA AFL men’s team and now repeat it with their women’s team.
They do nothing altruistic, only stuff to bring in the big bucks.
They got Erin, who should have been ours too ( a bit like they picked off Phil Walsh)

We appear amateurish.

I doubt we will get the benefit of literally years of free entry to see our womens team, including to AO, or a sponsor like BHP.

Plus they will rake in the money for their so- called of Excellence at North Adelaide, including a new home for their E-Sports Team ( how that helps the community and warrants any Fed funding I have no idea) while we have to beg, borrow and steal for our Aboriginal Centre of Excellence which could have massive community benefits.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
You should stop buying The Advertiser/Adelaidenow/Monopoly Times. It triggers you way too much.

Sound advice but when you are forced to operate in a monopoly market you do not have much choice. In any case if I did I would have less to whinge about.;)

I used to listen to AA and phone in quite often but I gave up when they broadcast a Crows trial game in Alice Springs in deference to a Port Ansett Cup game in Sydney. Cornes gave some lame excuse that the Crows had more supporters so AA was simply catering to the market. In the case of AA I had other SA based options but in the case of the Monoply Times there are no other local options.

Jul 11, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You realise that we were never in for a shot at a women's team before crows right?
The AFL also were not gonna allow 2 SA teams at the start, it was always gonna be a few years in between.

Ide say within 2 years we will be in the AFLW, along with the other clubs currently not involved.

Cheesey Mac

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Sox, Patriots
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, because it is the sports media making a good point about how bad the sports media is... Not about Eddie McGuire in isolation, but the broader decline of sports commentary.

To me it feels like sports commentary in this country has been bad and steadily getting worse for years now, a steady march to the bottom. Ex-players who are not skilled callers butchering games and moments, getting players names wrong, resorting to hyperbole instead of just describing what they're seeing and/or analysing for the benefit of the people who have tuned in to watch/listen. Going on air and playing up to in-jokes and the massive boys club mentality that serves their egos and not the people they're broadcasting to... Brian Taylor is the biggest offender to me, but Fox Footy is packed full of them as well... Some of them just need to park their egos at the door and call the bloody game.

Some people enjoy this and that's fine, it is an interesting read anyway

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04...ion-sports-commentary-cynthia-banham/10957316

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I dont know why you and others keep blaming the club. It's a fact that the AFL didnt even want to allow ONE team from SA to enter. The Crows had to convince them it was viable, and we were then told only one license would be issued to the Crows. So we focused on China and developing the woman's game at more grass-roots level, with a view to entering at a future time.

Adelaide's success has clearly shown that a second team is viable sooner, rather than later. Maybe the club can fast-track it, but from what I have read, that might not be allowed by the AFL as they work years in advance.

Stop blaming the club, we are a victim of circumstances. When Port finally gets to enter a team in the AFLW, it will be something special, and will reflect the quality and passion of this great club.

LukeSA

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, because it is the sports media making a good point about how bad the sports media is... Not about Eddie McGuire in isolation, but the broader decline of sports commentary.

To me it feels like sports commentary in this country has been bad and steadily getting worse for years now, a steady march to the bottom. Ex-players who are not skilled callers butchering games and moments, getting players names wrong, resorting to hyperbole instead of just describing what they're seeing and/or analysing for the benefit of the people who have tuned in to watch/listen. Going on air and playing up to in-jokes and the massive boys club mentality that serves their egos and not the people they're broadcasting to... Brian Taylor is the biggest offender to me, but Fox Footy is packed full of them as well... Some of them just need to park their egos at the door and call the bloody game.

Some people enjoy this and that's fine, it is an interesting read anyway

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04...ion-sports-commentary-cynthia-banham/10957316

Or giving jobs to genuinely s**t people, in what world does Wayne Carey deserve a cushy media job?

LukeSA

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oh my god i think im going to be sick, someone put the crows team song to a dance beat. :sick:

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sound advice but when you are forced to operate in a monopoly market you do not have much choice. In any case if I did I would have less to whinge about.;)

I used to listen to AA and phone in quite often but I gave up when they broadcast a Crows trial game in Alice Springs in deference to a Port Ansett Cup game in Sydney. Cornes gave some lame excuse that the Crows had more supporters so AA was simply catering to the market. In the case of AA I had other SA based options but in the case of the Monoply Times there are no other local options.

It's a national comp, there's football articles everywhere and anywhere to read why would anyone need to buy or read the student newspaper level crap of The Advertiser?

You can argue the toss whichever way you like as to whether we dropped the ball by not going hard for an AFLW team or whether we were never going to get one anyway. All I know is that by not having one, we've copped yet another handicap in terms of the way we're represented by the media and seen by potential sponsors and potential supporters compared to our cross town rivals.

The amount of attention an 8 week competition receives just doesn't sit well with me.

Just spare a thought for those women involved in other national sports that are afforded a fraction of the level of coverage for competitions that run for 4 or 5 months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back