Review Dees v Handbaggers @ Handbag Park: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing that I woke up at 3am for that. Decided to hit the gym aswell, it's now 1 pm I slept 4 hours an I'm contemplating whether I just don't wake up for it next time

I went to bed at 11:30pm and I was pretty amped for the game. As a result ended up waking up at 1am and couldn’t get back to sleep. Been awake ever since and cursing the Dees since about 5am.

Crazy, but I actually thought we played better this weekend than last weekend, but against better opposition.

It is the same problems as last year, absolutely no system going forward and getting punished on the turnover due to the all out kamikaze attack. I know we are trying to play on and move it quickly but it honestly doesn't matter when we constantly just play on into trouble and end up hack kicking it forward 25m off the shin.

It’s concerning that we seem to get beaten comfortably when contested ball is merely close. Good teams adapt when plan A isn’t working, we roll over and die.

The system has collapsed so it seems moot to blame individuals but so many players look sub-AFL standard. I’m particularly disappointed with Petracca he just waddles around the forwardline snatching at and fumbling the ball while offering no defensive pressure. Poor.

At least Hogan is back next week!
Wait a minute, tomorrow is next week WST and he’s playing in purple. Oh well!
Thanks for the timely reminder that no matter how bad it gets for us this year, at least we don’t support Fremantle. There’s always somebody who has it worse.

we dished up absolute trash down at the Geelong community centre last night.

Goodwin and the coaching staff need to cop the majority of this one.

We were competitive enough around the contests but our structure forward of the ball was non existent- is Troy Chaplin our "offensive coordinator"? sack him now. Where the * were Weid and Tmac felt like they didn't present inside 50 at all.
Trac tried hard, and was often like 1 v 2 or 3, but he had an absolute shocker. needs a spell until he gets his fitness levels up.

Geelong looked like they were playing with a dry ball, we looked like we were playing with a block of soap.
It was so easy for the Cats to defend our shitty forward entries until they could find a way through our shitty press, and move it up the ground quickly to score, at that point the defenders were hung out to dry, but once the ball hit the deck in D50 they were ******* deplorable.

No point singling out 2 players playing their first games for the club but im going to do it anyway.
Cant recall one bit of cats play that May disrupted while he was on the ground.
and no idea why we felt like we had to rush KK into the team after playing * all footy in 3 years- its not like he was a star of the competition when he was at the Suns, he was nothing more than a good young player- AND THAT WAS THREE ******* YEARS AGO. Should have been made to earn his spot.

Oliver was awesome.
Brayshaw was really good too.
Lockhart looks like a player.

If we lose to Essendon thatll be it for me. Over to you Goody.

Stuff reviewing this steaming turd.

The real question is who actually types ‘campaigner’ as opposed to the swear word?
I do. I can't stop myself now. I also call random people campaigners all the time too.

As a Port fan, can confirm that sacking Troy Chaplin took us from the worst period we've ever heard as a football club to a prelim final within two years. Sacking Troy Chaplin later led to Richmond immediately winning their first premiership since 1980. I highly recommend sacking Troy Chaplin, sacking Troy Chaplin offers proven results.

Can confirm

An absolutely deplorable display by many last night, but Petracca needs to be made an example of. It's not that he is just incredibly fumbly, its that he exhibits near no intensity when the going gets tough. He routinely squibs, shirks and amazingly seems to point fingers and yell directions at others. For every silky thing he does, his errors due to pure lack of intensity and concentration make him dead set liability. He's not someone I'd want to be in the trenches with. Drop him back to Casey, play him out of the midfield against some s**t-fighting taggers until he learns how to play in the clinches.

4 pages that's it? If we were to lose by 80 points with an advantage of 72 to 48 I50s there would be 10 pages at least criticising our players, the umpire and the AFL 'anti-Geelong conspiracy' and another 10 pages attacking our coach. Perhaps it was just an aberration and you'll win every game for the rest of the year!

Collingwood had 170 odd marks against Geelong, we have had 120 for the season.

Very good chance we will be last for marks around the ground at the end of the round. I think that perfectly somes up how s**t how kicking is an how little effort we have put into spreading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 pages that's it? If we were to lose by 80 points with an advantage of 72 to 48 I50s there would be 10 pages at least criticising our players, the umpire and the AFL 'anti-Geelong conspiracy' and another 10 pages attacking our coach. Perhaps it was just an aberration and you'll win every game for the rest of the year!

I do blame the umpires, if they had just given us 15 free kicks in the goalsquare we could have won. Despicable home crowd bullshit

Watching Collingwood Thursday and us last night as a comparison, the pies had a game plan for that game to spread and tire Richmond with uncontested marks.

They showed something we desperately lack - an ability to execute more than 1 game plan.

If Gawn isn't winning the taps or we are losing the contested ball stats we are basically ****ed. Far too 1 dimensional.

Too many players on the inside again. The reason Geelong were so much more efficient than us is because they outnumbered us in our F50 AND D50.

Pressure needs to mount on Goodwin to improve tactically.

The positive is that we can improve a lot and quickly. The real negative is that if we pull the same "10 blokes go for the same ball" s**t then Essendon and they're front running outside pussies will score heavily against us.

Question? Love Brayshaw as a player and think he's a genuine gun that could be a future Brownlow medalist, but what the hell is wrong with Petracca? Brayshaw was taken one pick later in the 2014 draft and he looks like he's a superstar. In contrast, Petracca is a bull who can play mid/forward and has all the tools, but just looks like he doesn't care. Any reasons why there's just a lack of effort there? Does he need some time in the two's or is the problem more deep-seeded. Reminds me of De Goey before he got banned and got his s**t together. Maybe Petracca needs to do some community work?

Not being condescending or sarcastic here, genuinely curious about this

Question? Love Brayshaw as a player and think he's a genuine gun that could be a future Brownlow medalist, but what the hell is wrong with Petracca? Brayshaw was taken one pick later in the 2014 draft and he looks like he's a superstar. In contrast, Petracca is a bull who can play mid/forward and has all the tools, but just looks like he doesn't care. Any reasons why there's just a lack of effort there? Does he need some time in the two's or is the problem more deep-seeded. Reminds me of De Goey before he got banned and got his s**t together. Maybe Petracca needs to do some community work?

Not being condescending or sarcastic here, genuinely curious about this

Quick response
We have no idea where to play him. Not enough of a tank for midfield an not enough tricks to play forward all game.

He has both extreme confidence an incredible self doubt. He tries to an often pulls off incredible plays, but if he misses a couple he completely falls in a hole.

He tries to make something magic happen with every play, he needs to concentrate on helping the team as best as he can for a full game an then worry about the party tricks later

Last edited:
Quick response
We have no idea where to play him. Not enough of a tank for midfield an not enough tricks to play forward all game.

He has both extreme concentration an incredible self doubt. He tries to an often pulls off incredible plays, but if he misses a couple he completely falls in a hole.

He tries to make something magic happen with every play, he needs to concentrate on helping the team as best as he can for a full game an then worry about the party tricks later

Solid response. Sounds a bit like Motlop in that respect - all flair but no solid grunt work

Solid response. Sounds a bit like Motlop in that respect - all flair but no solid grunt work
There’s a reason he is Dusty 2.0. I wouldn’t expect his body to still hit peak for another year or 2.

Kind of but different players of course. Motlop has game breaking speed an excellent goal sense while Petracca can win a contested footy with incredible strength.

But yeah I'd say both too often lack substance in their game

As an American i could use an official definition of the word.
It's a Bigfooty word - the site changes certain words to other words that it deems 'bad' words. Basically a swear filter. So some words that you might start with an "f" just get changed to ****, and a certain word that you might start with a "c" automatically changes to campaigner.

Collingwood had 170 odd marks against Geelong, we have had 120 for the season.

Very good chance we will be last for marks around the ground at the end of the round. I think that perfectly somes up how s**t how kicking is an how little effort we have put into spreading.

In a nut shell, our problems are:
  • Poor skills / most players can't hit targets
  • Too many players get sucked in to the contest / go for the same ball
  • Lack players with speed and fitness to exploit open spaces on the field
  • A lot of players don't track their opponent and/or can't defend / tackle
  • No structure around the ground
Other than that, we're good.

As an American i could use an official definition of the word.

Type See You (in the) NT and post it and see what it gets replaced with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back