Caleb Daniel's (absolutely enormous) Bandwagon led by the Giant Clydesdales of Glory

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When can we expect Jake to come out of his trough? On Marngrook a good point was made that Picko gave Jake a lesson on how to play the medium forward role.
Different types though, Picken can play in the air better and at his best Stringer is unbeatable at ground level.

There's nothing wrong with his tackling technique, or his application - it was just that bigger players were brushing him off. By the time he's 23 he'll be a ball of steel :)

Just thought I’d quote myself from a few seasons back. His tackles stick now - he sometimes runs through bigger blokes and knocks them over. And his timing and leap for the spoil are exemplary.

I think he’ll win a Brownlow or go close

Just thought I’d quote myself from a few seasons back. His tackles stick now - he sometimes runs through bigger blokes and knocks them over. And his timing and leap for the spoil are exemplary.

So do I.

My son talked me out of having $20 on him for the Charlie before the season, might go back and put it on now!

Don't know about the Brownlow but agreed about the tackling. He seems to have gotten a lot stronger through the core and he doesn't get brushed away as easily. It was my only knock on him previously.

Don't think he'll win a Brownlow this year but when he's in the 25 - 30 year age group I can see it happening. He's still only 22. I imagine he'll go to the late vintage Matty Boyd 'quarterback' role at some stage where he will excel

Will be exposed defensively at times. We knew that would happen.

But in form he’s one of the best creators in the game. Rarely fumbles, hits targets with either foot. Reads the game so well

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
Don't think he'll win a Brownlow this year but when he's in the 25 - 30 year age group I can see it happening. He's still only 22. I imagine he'll go to the late vintage Matty Boyd 'quarterback' role at some stage where he will excel

Sort of the role he's already playing isn't it?:think:

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
This bloke is great to watch! My fear is that opposition coaches will move to tag him. He's creativity won't have gone unnoticed by them.
But I guess that then leaves JJ free so either way at least you now have 2 very damaging/creative ball uses coming from hb.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
yeah, id guess his lack of size and speed make him pretty taggable. But in a way being worth tagging is a nice problem to have.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that having the inexperienced Young in the team coincided with Daniel ending up at FB when he shouldnt have been? And no Morris to direct traffic.

yeah, id guess his lack of size and speed make him pretty taggable. But in a way being worth tagging is a nice problem to have.

I wonder if it is a coincidence that having the inexperienced Young in the team coincided with Daniel ending up at FB when he shouldnt have been? And no Morris to direct traffic.
No, it's not a coincidence in my book.
I'm pretty sure the defence coach will be giving the video a good workout this week to show them where they are getting caught out. Lewis and others should learn a bit from the match footage.

No, it's not a coincidence in my book.
I'm pretty sure the defence coach will be giving the video a good workout this week to show them where they are getting caught out. Lewis and others should learn a bit from the match footage.
As pointed out elsewhere, perhaps Caleb is a victim of his own ability to cover ground?

He scored one of the highest beep test results in draft history, it may be just his ability to constantly get to contests which is making the mismatches look bad as otherwise some of those contests would be uncontested, over the top kicks.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On July 29th last year, after our Round 19 loss to Port, I questioned CDs place on the list and said we should put him up for trade.

The very next week (round 20) Bevo moved him down back to his 1/4 back roll and we've won 5 of 6 since.

You're welcome.

I think he'll be All-Australian this year or go close. The way he opens up the ground going 45 or inboard from either wing off his right is incredible, he's fast becoming our Shannon Hurn.
You were only a year too soon. Shannon Hurn pffft 😀

As pointed out elsewhere, perhaps Caleb is a victim of his own ability to cover ground?

He scored one of the highest beep test results in draft history, it may be just his ability to constantly get to contests which is making the mismatches look bad as otherwise some of those contests would be uncontested, over the top kicks.

It must make him a very difficult tag. He’s not speedy but he never stands still he jogs along constantly , sprints, jogs.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It must make him a very difficult tag. He’s not speedy but he never stands still he jogs along constantly , sprints, jogs.

In every match, quite a number of the players are almost completely spent by about 5 minutes into the last quarter, it is obvious to the anyone watching. And this is when the ones with the stamina cash in heavily. Daniel is definitely one of these types of players. Think of his recent goals. Yeah, he's a bit one paced but he's moving at the same speed at the end of the game as at the start while plenty around him are just standing around heads bowed, hands on hips, trying desperately to suck some air into their lungs.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown

The other thing is his ability to cut angles. He's able to prop and move in a completely different direction extremely quickly, a forward manning him might be faster but they need to be able to prop and turn easily in order to stay with him which is a big ask.

The other thing is his ability to cut angles. He's able to prop and move in a completely different direction extremely quickly, a forward manning him might be faster but they need to be able to prop and turn easily in order to stay with him which is a big ask.
Also can shape up for a kick or handball and in a split second change his mind about a target and hit another one, completely discombobulating the opposition. He often throws them off balance with handball feints too.

I love him to bits

When Matt Boyd and Murph retired I was waiting for someone else to come, but he was already here.

Not the same, and not necessarily better - but better in many ways. He's almost the best player in the competition, he's so different and exceptional.

This will be the last time I ever mention his height on this forum.

He probably has the best change of direction of any defender in the competition.
Harbrow is very good at this, and others get by with speed (JJ, Saad) but Ceb is genuinely evasive. Combine that with the best kick under pressure in the AFL and a high footy IQ and you have someone who is invaluable to us.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
caleb_tw.jpg

Back