Society/Culture Feminism - 2017 Thread - Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gadsby has declared the dominance of the white male comedian to be over. How racist must she be if she thinks white men have dominated comedy? Any conversation about great comedians includes a long list of non-whites. Just because she doesn't know who they are, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I don't think being racist is her intent, I'd argue she is ill informed, ignorant and naive.

If anything she claims to be anti racist, labeling white male comedians as "dominant" and painting them as toxic is ok in her view because they're white males. You know the oppressors of the world.

I don't think being racist is her intent, I'd argue she is ill informed, ignorant and naive.

If anything she claims to be anti racist, labeling white male comedians as "dominant" and painting them as toxic is ok in her view because they're white males. You know the oppressors of the world.

i know it's not her intent. She's trying to appear anti-racist with that statement, but it's revealing IMO. In 2018, 3 of the top 6 earning comedians were black and one was Latino. Richard Pryor is regularly named the greatest stand up comedian of all time. You would have to be deliberately avoiding black comedians to reach a conclusion like Gadsby's. Then again, I'm not sure Gadbsy even understands what a comedian is.

"I believe there is a revolution in comedy about to happen — a real, big global revolution," she said at today's festival launch.

"It's a revolution where a joke is not the only tool in a comedian's kit."

Errr, what?

Perhaps she'll wear a beard?

Iliza Schlesinger
Nikki Glaser
Whitney Cummings though she does get a bit one dimensional

They're attractive though so I'm a pig for liking them.

Tina Fey is good in 30 Rock, Amy Poehler has her moments in Parks & Rec. Locally don't mind Celia Pacquola, Kitty Flanagan is pretty good. Gina Riley and Jane Turner are good also though don't so active these days. Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Joanna Lumley were good in the day. Don't think I have seen a full stand up routine from any of these women though.

I find a lot of female stand up comedians are very limited in their material/target audience. It's not that they can't tell a joke but that they tell the same joke over and over. Someone harmless like Michael McIntyre appeals to all kinds of people, someone like Jim Jefferies or Bill Burr only to those who are fine with crass language, bad taste jokes etc. A lot of the female comics are funny to a small section of people and no one else. If a male comic stood there for two hours and just said 'women are stupid, I have a penis, women are stupid, I have a penis' it would be pretty unfunny and that's pretty much the MO of many female comics. There's a limited market for that.

Please, in future, do not put Jim Jefferies in the same sentence as Bill Burr.

Iliza Schlesinger
Nikki Glaser
Whitney Cummings though she does get a bit one dimensional

They're attractive though so I'm a pig for liking them.

Tina Fey is good in 30 Rock, Amy Poehler has her moments in Parks & Rec. Locally don't mind Celia Pacquola, Kitty Flanagan is pretty good. Gina Riley and Jane Turner are good also though don't so active these days. Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Joanna Lumley were good in the day. Don't think I have seen a full stand up routine from any of these women though.

I find a lot of female stand up comedians are very limited in their material/target audience. It's not that they can't tell a joke but that they tell the same joke over and over. Someone harmless like Michael McIntyre appeals to all kinds of people, someone like Jim Jefferies or Bill Burr only to those who are fine with crass language, bad taste jokes etc. A lot of the female comics are funny to a small section of people and no one else. If a male comic stood there for two hours and just said 'women are stupid, I have a penis, women are stupid, I have a penis' it would be pretty unfunny and that's pretty much the MO of many female comics. There's a limited market for that.

To be fair, most stand up comedians are very limited in their appeal and longetivity. Michael McIntyre is one of the very few who can fill a stadium on his own, and you’re bang on about his appeal being very wide due to his content.

As soon as you try to delve in to controversial areas; gender relations, profanity etc... you’re going to limit your audience.

To be fair, most stand up comedians are very limited in their appeal and longetivity. Michael McIntyre is one of the very few who can fill a stadium on his own, and you’re bang on about his appeal being very wide due to his content.

As soon as you try to delve in to controversial areas; gender relations, profanity etc... you’re going to limit your audience.

Since when did popularity have anything to do with quality?

Gadsby has declared the dominance of the white male comedian to be over. How racist must she be if she thinks white men have dominated comedy? Any conversation about great comedians includes a long list of non-whites. Just because she doesn't know who they are, doesn't mean they don't exist.
Gadsby started her career as a comedian in Australia around the time the biggest comedy vehicle was Kath and Kim, a comedy created, written, directed and starring three women.

She is full of s**t.

The outright narcissism of the present day is amazing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends what you’re looking for, generally long-term popularity is indicative of some level of quality. But yes, most ‘popular’ things these days are very transient.

Madonna? Lady Gaga? Friends? Jason Statham? McDonalds?

Gadsby started her career as a comedian in Australia around the time the biggest comedy vehicle was Kath and Kim, a comedy created, written, directed and starring three women.

She is full of s**t.

The outright narcissism of the present day is amazing.

Gadsby is your basic Misandrist, who has found herself in a time where it is okay to hate on men and she has been able to work it into her act and call it comedy.

Madonna? Lady Gaga? Friends? Jason Statham? McDonalds?

You don’t believe Madonna and Gaga are talented singers?

Friends (and Seinfeld) have both endured the progress of time remarkably well in their appeal.

Statham is what he is, an action movie actor. I don’t think he’ll be someone to look back on in a generation and remember however. But for what he does he’s quite good.

McDonald’s isn’t my cup of tea, but their ability to change and adapt to meet the demands of the modern consumer have been fairly successful compared to things like say Pizza Hut. They also have fairly well regarded internal training procedures and processes to ensure consistency of product from country to country. There’s far worse run companies out there.

Friends (and Seinfeld) have both endured the progress of time remarkably well in their appeal.

Statham is what he is, an action movie actor. I don’t think he’ll be someone to look back on in a generation and remember however. But for what he does he’s quite good.

McDonald’s isn’t my cup of tea, but their ability to change and adapt to meet the demands of the modern consumer have been fairly successful compared to things like say Pizza Hut. They also have fairly well regarded internal training procedures and processes to ensure consistency of product from country to country. There’s far worse run companies out there.
McDonald's is a fascinating and remarkably brilliant business as far as their innovation and adaptability goes. Food aside, the business itself is amazing.

Like I stated, popular.

Janice Fiamengo and episode 100

She expands on the reasons why she is more abti feminist than she ever has been

What a strange ad

The usual virtue signalling by Andrews.

Females often don't work by the logic presented in the ad. I was on the loop in Melbourne one time and there was an nice young lady sitting opposite so I glanced over a couple of times. Sensing some discomfort I averted my gaze. Then an even more attractive woman sat next to her so I was discretely checking her out. I could tell the first woman got the hump when I was checking out the other woman rather than her.

Similar female 'logic'. Wear revealing clothes then spend the whole day pulling their shirt over their breasts and their skirt up whilst giving dirty looks to guys who look them over.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back