Is Caleb the KPD we've been looking for?

Yes, it's a tongue in cheek thread title but it's a serious question on which we seem to have strong opinions on either side so it's worth a thread of its own to discuss.

Is playing Daniel in defence going to work? Why does he get isolated against 200cm KPFs and what can be done about it? Does the good outweigh the bad or will this end up in disaster as opposition coaches figure out ways of capitalising on his lack of height?

Here's my take:
  • His composure, vision and distribution are elite. Can't think of anybody who does it better in our side, except perhaps Bontempelli.
  • Those release kicks are instrumental in setting up our attacks and relieving d50 pressure from opposition forwards.
  • His ball handling is sure and being a shortarse he is particularly good with finding the loose ball in traffic. He can also go on valuable 20m gallops before passing the ball.
  • He seldom gets caught with the ball (but it did happen late in the game today)
  • So far this season (including JLT) he is getting isolated once or twice a match at the top of the goalsquare with a high incoming ball against a monster KPD or resting ruck. These usually result in an easy set shot but he has (perhaps surprisingly) been known to spoil them as well, especially if he can get a run at the contest.
  • The ledger is very much in his favour in my view. The good significantly outweighs the bad.
  • We just have to get smarter at opposition tactics that try to create these mismatches. They aren't his fault. They are part of the zone defence and the coach and team have to take responsibility for fixing it. It'll be a fascinating ongoing tactical battle to watch, but I'm pretty sure two things won't change - (1) Caleb's height and (2) his exquisite ball handling and distribution skills.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A supplementary question for those who are against playing Daniel in defence: where would you play him? Or would you leave him out of the side?

He is easily best 22 but I still stand by him not being able to play back 6 against the best teams or in finals.

His distribution is elite so I’d have him as the plus 1 but how we manufacture that is hard because I we won’t drop a wingman back because it destroys our structure.

He has had 6 goals directly kicked on him and I just don’t think you can contend with a player giving up that many every week regardless how many they get.

Also it’s hard to judge who we have played so far coz are either contenders? I think not

Good kick and decison making normally but good teams will get him one out. It triggered me today I have to admit.

Granted the two libba play ons or poor kicking midfeild help that situation unfold

Contador

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know someone who has fairly frequent convos with Peter Gordon about the Dogs. Towards the end of last year after we'd finally won a couple of games, Peter mentioned that Bevo had found the answer and solved a lot of our problems in a simple way, and that we wouldn't be losing games anymore. This was around the time Caleb had started playing in defence and creating all of our play. Caleb Daniel was the answer to all of our problems.

I know someone who has fairly frequent convos with Peter Gordon about the Dogs. Towards the end of last year after we'd finally won a couple of games, Peter mentioned that Bevo had found the answer and solved a lot of our problems in a simple way, and that we wouldn't be losing games anymore. This was around the time Caleb had started playing in defence and creating all of our play. Caleb Daniel was the answer to all of our problems.
Not saying you're wrong but ... if he's The Answer to Everything shouldn't he be wearing #42?

On a more serious note, it's plausible but I can't see how Bevo/PG could be so confident given that many defensive possessions don't end up in Caleb's hands (and of course he could get injured, tagged, etc).

I'm just trying to think what else happened around then that could have been The Answer ... perhaps Dahlhaus was no longer in the side?

Not saying you're wrong but ... if he's The Answer to Everything shouldn't he be wearing #42?

On a more serious note, it's plausible but I can't see how Bevo/PG could be so confident given that many defensive possessions don't end up in Caleb's hands (and of course he could get injured, tagged, etc).

I'm just trying to think what else happened around then that could have been The Answer ... perhaps Dahlhaus was no longer in the side?

That was so funny when he climbed on Roughead’s back and rode for a couple of steps :D. Even Rough had a bit of a smile.
qz1w9e.png

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo explained why it happens sometimes in his presser and made a good point that it doesn't make much difference if it's Roughly vs Daniel or Roughy vs Duryea/Suckling/JJ etc. He is still gonna have an easy mark there. Just looks more absurd and hopeless when it's Daniel.

Don't agree with that whatsoever.
Suckling would definitely have a chance to spoil Roughy or Gunston.

F3000

Senior List
Aug 27, 2014
Norf
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
West Ham
If he's going to stay down there, he can't be the only person in 50 to be left in one on ones with key forwards.
Was so frustrating to watch over and over yesterday.
You can't just give up goals like that, and no decent team would allow that to be a regular part of their game.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Don't agree with that whatsoever.
Suckling would definitely have a chance to spoil Roughy or Gunston.
Yep, even JJ has made timely interceptions over the years

End of the day Wood or Crozier are the guys who have to get down there and man these 2nd/3rd bananas up

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching the replay right now for the first time and Daniel halves a one on one with Roughy 3 minutes into the first quarter. Id back him in in the air over JJ and Suckling any day

Tell me you're joking....

I was sitting near the goal square in the third qtr and he had a 5% chance of impacting the two contests where he was outmarked.

Its not his fault mind you, but its obviously a huge risk moving fwd.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tell me you're joking....

I was sitting near the goal square in the third qtr and he had a 5% chance of impacting the two contests where he was outmarked.

Its not his fault mind you, but its obviously a huge risk moving fwd.
Hes consistently better aerially than JJ and Suckling, no doubt in my mind.

Im not saying we want him one out, obviously we dont. But im backing him in to make more of a contest in aerial situations over those two every day of the week. He actually very rarely loses them unless when its on a genuine key tall, and both Suckling and JJ lose those two contests 9 times out of 10 too it just doesnt look as ridiculous

Back