The Official Bigfooty NBA Week 25 Thread #Build a team around Devin Booker?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Harden should win it easy.

10 extra points per game + more assists, breaking historic records, Bucks have a far better roster and coaching is the main reason they are the number 1 seed rather than Giannis by himself. I can say Harden is the reason the Rockets are the third seed by himself.

I'm no fan of James Harden, however he is on track for
- the most 3-pt field goal attempts ever in a season,
- the 2nd most 3-pt field goals ever in a season,
- the 6th most free throws ever in a season,
- the 7th most points ever in a season,
- the 7th best ever points per game in a season

He deserves to win the MVP and he would be a very worthy winner.

Having the most 3 point attempts in a season is hardly an item to put on an accomplishment list. Particularly because he'll hold the record for most takes by over 100, and not own the most 3s made in a season.

Anyway. Scoring a lot of points doesn't historically lead to MVPs.

Here's the list of players that have scored over 35ppg in a season.

1. Wilt Chamberlain* 50.36 1961-62
2. Wilt Chamberlain* 44.83 1962-63
3. Wilt Chamberlain* 38.39 1960-61
4. Wilt Chamberlain* 37.60 1959-60
5. Michael Jordan* 37.09 1986-87
6. Wilt Chamberlain* 36.85 1963-64
7. James Harden 36.38 2018-19
8. Rick Barry* 35.58 1966-67
9. Kobe Bryant 35.40 2005-06

Number of MVPs won by that list is 1. Wilt in 1960.

Scoring points doesn't mean MVP.

I mean Wilt finished third in the voting in the year he averaged 50.

Wow, the Bucks rest Giannis and on the road they score 43 in the 1st period
up by as much as 23 in the 1st period yet the Buck managed to lose 135-136.

Atlanta have scored 129+ in three of their last four games.

If Giannis wins the MVP, Harden will have lost two MVP awards for two direct contradictory reasons.

In 2016 he lost because Westbrook made history no one thought was going to happen again (Harden this year) while carrying an underachieving team to the playoffs (Harden this year, but doing it better). Harden was the better player on the better team in 2016 but it didn't matter.

This year, Harden is on the same course as Westbrook but might lose because there was a better player on a better team.

That's why I am annoyed. Harden could/should be a 3-time MVP at this point which is monumentally important, but may only have 1 to show for it.

If Giannis wins the MVP, Harden will have lost two MVP awards for two direct contradictory reasons.

In 2016 he lost because Westbrook made history no one thought was going to happen again (Harden this year) while carrying an underachieving team to the playoffs (Harden this year, but doing it better). Harden was the better player on the better team in 2016 but it didn't matter.

This year, Harden is on the same course as Westbrook but might lose because there was a better player on a better team.

That's why I am annoyed. Harden could/should be a 3-time MVP at this point which is monumentally important, but may only have 1 to show for it.

I thought Harden should have won it against Russ, so I'm being consistent :p

Tim Frazier racked up 53 minutes in Milwaukee’s OT loss this morning. Every single minute of the game! Don’t think I’ve seen that before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Booker ain’t a player you build a team around

Had 48 points and 11 assists at 65%. He’s practically unguardable at this point. He’s 22 years old and arguably 4 years from his prime and under contract for another 4 years. He’s exactly the player you build around. He’s putting up Harden like numbers post ASB.

Better stick to the ref bashing.

What is actually wrong with OKC?... i honestly thought they were equal with us as far as threat to the warriors...

They dont even have injuries to blame, theyve just simply fallen off a cliff since the ASB. Very strange stuff.

Regardless, GSW vs OKC first round could be juicy

I'm guessing the Lakers (72) is because of the 69 wins and the names on the team (Chamberlain, West, Baylor). And I think GOAT teams usually have a fair bit of success around that individual season. I think that reinforces the one off season wasn't a fluke.

Bucks did make the finals thee seasons later, but didn't really win anything outside that season.

They won 56, 66, 63, 60 & 59 games in successive years! About as consistently good as it gets. Kareem, Oscar & Dandridge is a pretty sexy line-up too.

Maybe I'm not remembering articles correctly, but I feel that the other teams you mentioned get a similar treatment to the Bucks on all time lists.

edit - I just checked 3 all time lists and all 3 have that Bucks team in their top 10 :p

I guess it depends on who is making the list,

I remember reading lists made in the 1990s - so without the last 20 years - that still didn't have them in the top 15 teams of all time. Weird, but true.

Think Harden should win it easy.

10 extra points per game + more assists, breaking historic records, Bucks have a far better roster and coaching is the main reason they are the number 1 seed rather than Giannis by himself. I can say Harden is the reason the Rockets are the third seed by himself.

Nah.

You're way underplaying Giannis' season. The guy's a freak.

Nah.

You're way underplaying Giannis' season. The guy's a freak.

And Harden isnt a freak?

You can hate the guy as much as you like and spit the same old "oh but fts, oh but defense" crap over and over, but there is no denying Harden is absolutely amazing. No he isnt the best perimeter defender, but he is 2nd in the league in both deflections and steals and also a top 5 post defender. You can no longer say he is a terrible defender, because he simply isnt.

Not downplaying Giannis' season (i love him), but Harden's year has simply been historic......if LeBron or Steph was doing what Harden is doing, everyone would be falling over themselves to make sure he was unanimous MVP. It is simply the hate he receives that will stop him winning it.

Also, the Bucks have had one of the easiest schedules in the league this season plus had very good health up until recently. If we had the same luxury we would almost certainly be battling for the #1 seed (only 3.5 games behind the warriors and denver).

And Harden isnt a freak?

Didn't say he wasn't. I didn't say anything about Harden actually.

You can hate the guy as much as you like and spit the same old "oh but fts, oh but defense" crap over and over, but there is no denying Harden is absolutely amazing. No he isnt the best perimeter defender, but he is 2nd in the league in both deflections and steals and also a top 5 post defender. You can no longer say he is a terrible defender, because he simply isnt.

I didn't say anything about Harden. You've just invented a discussion that I've never had.

Not downplaying Giannis' season (i love him),

If you are implying that Giannis would not be a worthy MVP winner then yes, you ARE downplaying his season.

but Harden's year has simply been historic......if LeBron or Steph was doing what Harden is doing, everyone would be falling over themselves to make sure he was unanimous MVP. It is simply the hate he receives that will stop him winning it.

So if Giannis wins MVP, it'll be because of "Harden Haters"? Sounds legit.

Also, the Bucks have had one of the easiest schedules in the league this season plus had very good health up until recently. If we had the same luxury we would almost certainly be battling for the #1 seed (only 3.5 games behind the warriors and denver).

The Bucks have destroyed teams all season long. Giannis would be a worthy MVP. Any claims to the contrary are nonsense.

Didn't say he wasn't. I didn't say anything about Harden actually.

I didn't say anything about Harden. You've just invented a discussion that I've never had.

If you are implying that Giannis would not be a worthy MVP winner then yes, you ARE downplaying his season.

So if Giannis wins MVP, it'll be because of "Harden Haters"? Sounds legit.

The Bucks have destroyed teams all season long. Giannis would be a worthy MVP. Any claims to the contrary are nonsense.

You go on about me making up a discussion because you "didnt say anything about Harden" and then go on to claim that i said Giannis isnt a worthy winner when i didnt say anything close to that lollll

you funny

You go on about me making up a discussion because you "didnt say anything about Harden" and then go on to claim that i said Giannis isnt a worthy winner when i didnt say anything close to that lollll

you funny

You literally just said:

if LeBron or Steph was doing what Harden is doing, everyone would be falling over themselves to make sure he was unanimous MVP. It is simply the hate he receives that will stop him winning it.

It is only the hate Harden receives that will stop him winning MVP. Not Giannis' outstanding season, just 'hate'. You are implying that Giannis would not be a worthy winner, anyone can see that.

This sounds an awful lot like you're downplaying Milwaukee's, and Giannis' season too.

Now either Giannis would be a worthy MVP, without any asterix , or he wouldn't - which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back