Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. Holland has played his Tests in Asia and failed. So your logic is rubbish. And he plays the same State competition with a lesser record.

Try again.
I’m not advocating Holland, said above I’d not pick a spinner as back up.

Just no idea what you see in SOK. Seem to see that everyone else is inadequate. Yet stats blind you to the same fate with SOK.

I’m not advocating Holland, said above I’d not pick a spinner as back up.

Just no idea what you see in SOK. Seem to see that everyone else is inadequate. Yet stats blind you to the same fate with SOK.
We're likely arguing for no reason then, as I wouldn't select a second spinner the same as you.

But O'Keefe has been the better bowler of the two. I guess that's my contention.

The frustration for me is Agar's failure to develop. He could have been an excellent long term player for Aus. At the moment he's an all rounder who is merely mediocre at everything.

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Imagine the outrage if Pattinson isn’t lined up in the first test of the ashes and we lose. I think the consensus is from everyone that he’s the best bowler Australia got IF fit.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Imagine the outrage if Pattinson isn’t lined up in the first test of the ashes and we lose. I think the consensus is from everyone that he’s the best bowler Australia got IF fit.

He would be the best of the current crop, Cummins included if he were fit for the past 6 years. Injury has curtailed what would have been a generation of Australian fast bowlers.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Feel we may only take the one spinner to England anyways. With the success of the Duke ball in First Class cricket, the need for a back up spinner should be eradicated by the success of our quicks.

My rolling Ashes squad is;

1. Marcus Harris
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steve Smith
5. Kurtis Patterson
6. Travis Head
7. Tim Paine
8. Pat Cummins
9. James Pattinson
10. Mitch Starc
11. Nathan Lyon

12. Peter Handscomb
13. Will Puckovski
14. Matthew Wade
15. Josh Hazelwood

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Feel we may only take the one spinner to England anyways. With the success of the Duke ball in First Class cricket, the need for a back up spinner should be eradicated by the success of our quicks.

1. Marcus Harris
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steve Smith
5. Kurtis Patterson
6. Travis Head
7. Tim Paine
8. Pat Cummins
9. James Pattinson
10. Mitch Starc
11. Nathan Lyon

12. Peter Handscomb
13. Will Puckovski
14. Matthew Wade
15. Josh Hazelwood

More will be revealed when the A squad tour England plus the Australian's playing county cricket play.Still would have Maxwell in that squad before Patterson /Head/Handscomb which gives you an option of an additional spinner plus he is one of the best fieldsman in the world cricket

Bats: Warner, Harris, Burns, Khawaja, Smith, Head, Patterson, Pucovski
Keepers: Paine, Wade
Bowlers: Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Richardson, Pattinson, Lyon, Holland

That's what I think it will be. What I think it should be is out Starc, Hazlewood, and in Neser, Bird.

Sippa

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Langer commenting that Maxwell only averages 32 is like saying a midfielder doesn’t kick enough goals compared to a full time forward ...

Maxis batted his whole career 5 or lower , I would imagine a high percentage coming in in the last 20-15 overs, only batting higher when told to accelerate .. and he goes out and bats for the team score every time giving no regard to his average ...

Langer is so focused on stats all the time with no consideration to the circumstances surrounding it.. I would suggest if maxi batted his career 4 of higher he’d average 40+

IMO his best batting is the longer format because he’s natural talent takes over as opposed to being asked to score fast .

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Langer commenting that Maxwell only averages 32 is like saying a midfielder doesn’t kick enough goals compared to a full time forward ...

Maxis batted his whole career 5 or lower , I would imagine a high percentage coming in in the last 20-15 overs, only batting higher when told to accelerate .. and he goes out and bats for the team score every time giving no regard to his average ...

Langer is so focused on stats all the time with no consideration to the circumstances surrounding it.. I would suggest if maxi batted his career 4 of higher he’d average 40+

IMO his best batting is the longer format because he’s natural talent takes over as opposed to being asked to score fast .

Similar thoughts.Time to give him a good go in the test team before it is to late.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

1. Marcus Harris
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steve Smith
5. Kurtis Patterson
6. Travis Head
7. Tim Paine
8. Pat Cummins
9. James Pattinson
10. Mitch Starc
11. Nathan Lyon

12. Peter Handscomb
13. Will Puckovski
14. Matthew Wade
15. Josh Hazelwood
Don't think they will take both Wade and Handscomb and don't think they should take Pucovski yet. I think Bancroft will get one of those spots. And as much as I don't think we have an obvious spinning candidate, it would be dangerous not to at least have one over there in case Lyon injures himself minutes before a match.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
The key thing to remember is unlike the WC squad, there is no limit to how many players they take

You would expect a backup keeper and a backup spinner no doubt. Carey probably gets the keepers spot just because he is there anyway and they don't rate Wade

They may be better off playing 4 quicks if Lyon gets injured, but you'd still want the option

Sippa

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Similar thoughts.Time to give him a good go in the test team before it is to late.

It’ll just never happen when the coaches and selectors keep making public comments about his average or how many hundreds he’s made .. despite playing like 2 shield games a season ... the time to give him an extended run was after his ton in India .. should have started that home summer and they botched it

Been treated terribly

It’ll just never happen when the coaches and selectors keep making public comments about his average or how many hundreds he’s made .. despite playing like 2 shield games a season ... the time to give him an extended run was after his ton in India .. should have started that home summer and they botched it

Been treated terribly

Might be so but he needs to use those games whether it's 1, 2 or 10 Shield games to get runs. He made a couple of half decent scores, but lets not pretend he went Harris style and made huge hundreds.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Our bowling lineup could be awesome if there aren't any injuries. My preferred lineup would be:

Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Starc is devastating when on song but that is rare. So often, especially at the start of an innings he is unable to control the swining ball, often being too wide to trouble the batsman of allowing easy boundaries.

Cummins, Patto, Hoff all control it really well and are at the batsman all the time. There is not let up, even when the spinner comes on.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Might be so but he needs to use those games whether it's 1, 2 or 10 Shield games to get runs. He made a couple of half decent scores, but lets not pretend he went Harris style and made huge hundreds.

Oh for goodness sake he has been restricted to T20 and 1 day cricket since October,no chance to push his test claims because the selectors want him to focus on the shorter version of the game,Has had to few chances to push his test claims this shield season.How about Patterson and Burns batting performaces in the last 4 shield games,do you really think that warrants selection in the ashes squad.

Oh for goodness sake he has been restricted to T20 and 1 day cricket since October,no chance to push his test claims because the selectors want him to focus on the shorter version of the game,Has had to few chances to push his test claims this shield season.How about Patterson and Burns batting performaces in the last 4 shield games,do you really think that warrants selection in the ashes squad.

Patterson played a lone hand for NSW, and got 75 odd in the final. He'd have liked some more runs, but considering the rest of them were utter donkeys he batted well. Burns would be only just in my squad anyway as I have Warner straight in and opening the batting where he averages close to 50 at test level.

Maxwell hasn't made the most of the chances he did get in Shield, sure only 2 games, but he should have been getting a big ton to push his case, he did;t, he got a middling 70 odd, and that's about it.

The squad I'd pick is changing a bit, but right now I'm not taking Maxwell.

So a middling 70 odd where he was run out at the non strikers end unluckily isn’t good enough, but a 70 after 4 games of failures is perfectly fine...

I said Patterson would have wanted more runs...but he's the incumbent and he's made a test ton in his last test. He's done enough to be on the Ashes tour, albeit he'd want runs early on.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I said Patterson would have wanted more runs...but he's the incumbent and he's made a test ton in his last test. He's done enough to be on the Ashes tour, albeit he'd want runs early on.

Made a test ton against a weakened Sri Lanka attack.Done little since in the shield.He has had the chances to consolidate his spot in the ashes squad similar to Harris.He has not done that,Harris has and Maxwell well he has had" no chance" because he has played only the shorter version of the game for the last 6 months.Maxwell should never been dropped after his ton in India and should have been given the opportunity on his return to play a test on Australian wickets which he has never done.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Made a test ton against a weakened Sri Lanka attack.Done little since in the shield.He has had the chances to consolidate his spot in the ashes squad similar to Harris.He has not done that,Harris has and Maxwell well he has had" no chance" because he has played only the shorter version of the game for the last 6 months.Maxwell should never been dropped after his ton in India and should have been given the opportunity on his return to play a test on Australian wickets which he has never done.

Interesting, last 4 matches Maxwell averages 64.5, playing ODIs

Patterson averages 20.5 playing Shield cricket

A ton is a ton, if it was so easy everyone would have made it...and that poor SL side then smacked SA in SA. They weren't that bad. Maxwell isn't coming in anytime soon, the quicker you realise it the better. Next summer is a possibility. We are already struggling to fit players in and we have Smith and Warner back, not to mention Bancroft. Patterson is in my squad but like anyone would need runs.

They are unlikely to drop someone who scored a ton in his last Test. Unless it's Burns and someone the calibre of Warner is the one taking his place.

This. So much this.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
A ton is a ton, if it was so easy everyone would have made it...and that poor SL side then smacked SA in SA. They weren't that bad. Maxwell isn't coming in anytime soon, the quicker you realise it the better. Next summer is a possibility. We are already struggling to fit players in and we have Smith and Warner back, not to mention Bancroft. Patterson is in my squad but like anyone would need runs.

A lot will depend on what Maxwell does in county cricket in the lead up to the ashes,gets runs he must be in the ashes squad.

A lot will depend on what Maxwell does in county cricket in the lead up to the ashes,gets runs he must be in the ashes squad.

They aren't taking too many reserve bats. He has a better chance of next summer. They will keep the side fairly similar to allow the combinations to settle. Warner and Smith one in and that is a better side. We don't need Maxwell. Actually think the squad will be fairly predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back