Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Isaac had a great year but next year its time to step up...anything other than an AA jumper will be an underachievement
I'm backing him to win the 2019 brownlow as soon as the betting opens! Next year is going to be really really good for us, I reckon... The odds of us having three injury ridden seasons in a row have got to be long... (yes I know, I know, swansfan51)

The odds of us having three injury ridden seasons in a row have got to be long... (yes I know, I know, swansfan51)
If you call this season "injury ridden" then the odds of an injury ridden season are almost 100%

If you call this season "injury ridden" then the odds of an injury ridden season are almost 100%
You just have to say it, don't you! It's the type and situation of the injury, but I'm refusing to get into it again... o_O

Jimbo OZ

Team Captain
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Isaac quietly putting together a nice preseason. 2nd in the yoyo is no mean feat. I seem to only remember him having interrupted preseasons with glandular fever and minor surgeries. Perhaps I'm talking through my pocket as I have backed him at $81 to win the brownlow but I have high hopes for our midfield this year with him and Mills stepping up.

Isaac quietly putting together a nice preseason. 2nd in the yoyo is no mean feat. I seem to only remember him having interrupted preseasons with glandular fever and minor surgeries. Perhaps I'm talking through my pocket as I have backed him at $81 to win the brownlow but I have high hopes for our midfield this year with him and Mills stepping up.
Easily my favourite player in the comp, and from all reports , a ripping young bloke.
He demonstrates everything good about footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty disappointing first two games after the hype of the pre-season.

Starting to get a bit worried considering this is now his fifth season and he's basically plateaued after his third season.
I agree..however imo he would flourish of he was let off the leash a bit.. at this point he really should be pushing for all australian selections

I agree..however imo he would flourish of he was let off the leash a bit.. at this point he really should be pushing for all australian selections

Heeney is not alone. Our boys young and old always look absolutely stuffed mid-way through each quarter. I don’t know what the **** is going on at training at our club since 2016.

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty disappointing first two games after the hype of the pre-season.

Starting to get a bit worried considering this is now his fifth season and he's basically plateaued after his third season.

He injured his ankle in JLT and is playing through with strapping. Can't expect the same performance following injury. How did Buddy perform in 2016 GF after rolling his ankle in first quarter?

Some context may help to ease your concerns. Watch him bounce back when fully fit.

Jun 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
He injured his ankle in JLT and is playing through with strapping. Can't expect the same performance following injury. How did Buddy perform in 2016 GF after rolling his ankle in first quarter?

Some context may help to ease your concerns. Watch him bounce back when fully fit.

Too many reactionary muppets in the world for that. In Horses post game he even stated the ankle is hampering Heeney and stopped him being in the midfield so they had to play him forward.

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Sure, I get that, but the fact is we haven't seen much improvement for awhile now. Of course he's a victim of high expectations - we all thought he could challenge for a Brownlow one day, but at the current rate he'll struggle to get an All Australian.

Of course nothing would make me happier than for him to come out and prove me wrong. I will gladly eat all the crow in the world.

Sure, I get that, but the fact is we haven't seen much improvement for awhile now. Of course he's a victim of high expectations - we all thought he could challenge for a Brownlow one day, but at the current rate he'll struggle to get an All Australian.

Of course nothing would make me happier than for him to come out and prove me wrong. I will gladly eat all the crow in the world.

As I said look at the whole team though. No one’s playing well at all. Senior blokes collectively hit a wall after 2016, none have looked the same since. And youngsters look flat and void of confidence, playing in preservation mode as the team around them wilts. It’s a hot mess and I think when you have issues with the entire playing group like this it’s a bit of a pointless exercise isolating individuals for criticism.

Senior players might look stale because they carry the team.
The much lauded younger brigade haven't stepped up (yet).
Lloyd, Heeney, Mills, Florent, Melican...to a lesser extent Hewett, Hayward...should be driving the fortunes of the team but they all have one thing in common...they rely on JPK or Bud or Macca to lead the way.

Heeney hasnt lived up to the hype yet really if we are honest, nor has Mills

Plenty of time left, but i mean Heeney should play his 100th game this season, that could half a decent career, he isnt elite or close yet

Heeney hasnt lived up to the hype yet really if we are honest, nor has Mills

Plenty of time left, but i mean Heeney should play his 100th game this season, that could half a decent career, he isnt elite or close yet

Not his fault he’s been stuffed around with.

Not his fault he’s been stuffed around with.

Hes been selected almost 90 times and put on AFL field

He has been very good, but hes supposedly superstar potential.

Adam Goodes won a brownlow in his 5th season, now he is an all time great, but Heeney was hyped up to be a superstar as well so if you hold him to account to a star level he misses the mark thus far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back