AFL AFL Futures 2019

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
I am of the belief that no team is ever certainties in pre-season to make the top 8, let alone top 4. But I am guilty of thinking that Melbourne would be a key beneficiary of the rule changes. That has been far from it in the first 2 rounds. It seems like a lot of their young players who showed a lot of promise have simply failed to take it to the next level. And teams like Brisbane have surpassed them. I think The biggest problem for Melbourne is they are just too easy to score against. They have big holes in their defence. Perhaps this is personnel and structure but you can’t concede 20 goals to a team that only has 48 i50’s. that’s crazy. Will be interesting to see where they go from now.

mookieb

Oct 4, 2006
These new rules really suiting Melbourne to a tee ;)

Anyone willing to put up their hand and admit they were wrong yet?
It's not unusual for teams to string together a couple of shockers, but there are some warning signs flashing. McDonald's been poor and Weideman hasn't stepped up so the Hogan loss is starting to look a bit of a worry for scoring power. Backline has always been a bit shaky if you're running Frost and McDonald (May been injured) together. Midfield has good contested ball winners but lacks spread. Gawn might struggle against double teams ala Port.

The fact that teams such as Melb, Syd, Ade and Rich (obv. Rance missing is a killer) have struggled leads me to believe that Coll and WC sit a fair way ahead in the rankings as clearly the best 2 teams. Coll dismantled a weakened Rich but if Moore continues to be outstanding, Cox takes a step up and Wells, Hoskin-Elliott and Adams slot in then they're team looks fantastic.

mookieb

Oct 4, 2006
Shocked that most books have WC 3rd fav for the flag. Very hard to beat in Perth so will win a heap of home games. They now play the MCG pretty well and are good on the road. No real weaknesses and have good enough depth to cover for injuries.

I had Coll my highest rated side but they got dismantled after a good start (again) so it seems like WC structure has got them sorted out.

Obviously Coll have a good team and Geel has got off to a flyer but I wouldn't be backing Geel over WC with a 3 game sample size.

Most of the other contenders look shot - Rich, Melb, Ess, Ade.

I doubt GWS has the depth or can win consistently on the road.

Nic Nat potentially to come back mid season...

Surely WC shortens over the course of the season?

Melbourne still paying $2.15 to make the 8 after last night. Lever and may back mid season. Good value there

Yeah nah - over hyped all year as seen by the terrible start and beat a bottom 4 team last night who could have put them away completely in the first half.

Just face it mate you have HUGELY overrated them.

How much you got on them to not make the 8? iluvparis

I have zero futures bets but would be happy to lay them at 2.15 and have been on here all year saying they are HUGELY overrated (except for last night when I said they were a good bet ;) )

chrisdon16

@AFLsystembet
Mar 20, 2013
Launceston, TAS
They'll most likely beat the saints returning from Perth next week, then have a massively undermanned Richmond. If they win those two they're into $1.60ish. I'm chucking a few units on them to make it.

Yeah and Geelong were supposed to be 0 and 3 to start the year so you could wait to back them to make the 8

CarterS

Jun 14, 2001
Lions
Like St Kilda to make the 8 at $4.80 and to a lesser extent Gold Coast spoon at $7 though that one will be tight with their start (worth remembering they were 3-2 last year and finished on 4 wins though their draw was abnormal).

footy75

Jun 4, 2008
Like St Kilda to make the 8 at $4.80 and to a lesser extent Gold Coast spoon at $7 though that one will be tight with their start (worth remembering they were 3-2 last year and finished on 4 wins though their draw was abnormal).

getting a bit excited about saints...maybe next year.

we got the spoon cuz.

SterlingArcher

May 16, 2014
Boak just came in from $81 to $26 on Sportsbet for the Brownlow. Still $67 on BetEasy. $126 on Lads!

Had an =5th and a 14th place finish before. 12th for current player votes.

Worth a tenner.