VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

He was terrible. We gave him a 2 year deal off half a dozen good games. Lo and behold he's reverted back to the usual dogshit he was now that he has some security.

Bellchambers, Langford, Fantasia and McKenna were all better than he was and they were pretty bad.

I must have dreamed the contested marks, pack crashing and ruck impact that got us back into the game.

I must have dreamed the contested marks, pack crashing and ruck impact that got us back into the game.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh God Bruno, ruck impact? He was awful in there! The bloke is a bona fide spud.

He did not get us back into the game. He would have played an OK game if he had kicked the 2 easy goals from set shots.

He only took 4 marks for the game and 2 of them resulted in his set shots which he missed so its not like his contested marking was breaking the game open for us.

I don't think 12 touches and 1 goal is anything to write home about, you must be a massive fan if you feel differently from that game.

He did not get us back into the game. He would have played an OK game if he had kicked the 2 easy goals from set shots.

He only took 4 marks for the game and 2 of them resulted in his set shots which he missed so its not like his contested marking was breaking the game open for us.

I don't think 12 touches and 1 goal is anything to write home about, you must be a massive fan if you feel differently from that game.

I've overstated the impact of his ruck work. I thought that he was in the middle during a period in which we had the ascendancy and thought that he was pretty good in the middle. Never meant to say that it was his work that got us back into the game.

I'm not much of a fan. He's serviceable - I'd be playing Stewart alongside Daniher.

Like I said, if he converted two simple set shots he'd have played a good game and would have been one of our best.

Last edited:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh God Bruno, ruck impact? He was awful in there! The bloke is a bona fide spud.
The faux capitalised outrage is pretty misplaced considering what Bruno is actually arguing here.

Showed glimpses and is one that is understandable taking a week or 2 to get back into it after a significant injury.

Needs to find that spark and aggression again. Hopefully it clicks for him next Friday.

He was terrible. We gave him a 2 year deal off half a dozen good games. Lo and behold he's reverted back to the usual dogshit he was now that he has some security.

Bellchambers, Langford, Fantasia and McKenna were all better than he was and they were pretty bad.
This just isnā€™t right. Smack was ok other than missing a couple he should have kicked.

Plus with JD and Hooker out he has to play.

Brown is the concern. Would prefer to play two rucks or shift Francis forward than persist with Mitch....heā€™s decent but not what we need.

He shouldn't be our number 1 target up forward. While crashing a few packs, taking a mark inside 50, his kicking for goal left a lot to be desired

McKernan has survived to have a 10 year career because the combination of his instincts and raw athletic ability make him relevant as an AFL player.

I bring this up because he's the sort of player that doesn't need a goal kicking routine. He literally just needs to walk back far enough to kick over the mark, turn around, balance and kick. His range would still be 55-60m and it will go through every time.

Don't think, McKernan, just do...act.

McKernan has survived to have a 10 year career because the combination of his instincts and raw athletic ability make him relevant as an AFL player.

I bring this up because he's the sort of player that doesn't need a goal kicking routine. He literally just needs to walk back far enough to kick over the mark, turn around, balance and kick. His range would still be 55-60m and it will go through every time.

Don't think, McKernan, just do...act.

Sorry Bruno but you giving off a real he got the vibeĆØeee so he can kick goals type attitude.

He has survived 10 years due to Essendon failure to find a few geniune forwards.

Sorry Bruno but you giving off a real he got the vibeĆØeee so he can kick goals type attitude.

He has survived 10 years due to Essendon failure to find a few geniune forwards.

He regularly snaps a goal from the pocket from a boundary throw-in in the middle of a pack with a ruckman hanging off him.

Just saying that he's good when playing on instinct. Not so good when he has to think about the game.

Adam McPhee was similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. None of the mentioned where better. The issue was he missed two goals he should have kicked. He was one who presented all night and one of a few who actually took a couple of contested marks. He is not a star but he was far from the worst out there. At least he does make a contest and does not fall over all the time like Bellchambers.

This just isnā€™t right. Smack was ok other than missing a couple he should have kicked.

Plus with JD and Hooker out he has to play.

Brown is the concern. Would prefer to play two rucks or shift Francis forward than persist with Mitch....heā€™s decent but not what we need.

Brown is a concern because he is playing a role as a marking key forward that does not suit him and in general he is a better defender than forward. He works hard up and down the ground but he is just not strong as far as contested marking in one on one contests. If he is to do okay as a forward he needs to be the third forward and not the key man.

If Shaun McKernan was a current Aussie cricketer he would be Usman Khawaja. Tries hard and looks a million bucks when he is Ć³n' but is out of his depth when the going gets tough. Tries hard and has a crack but little to no impact when this occurs.
One averages over 40 in test and ODI cricket, with 10 international tons. The other has averaged over 1 goal a game once in his 10 year career. A more apt description would be Jon Holland. Dominates the level below but really hasn't done enough at the top.

haven't we been here before?

arguing with eth about smack

im sure we have been here before
Yes, and if you look at his career, and what he's done so far this year, I'm right 95% of the time.

The bloke is a spud. Half a dozen good games and we give him a 2 year deal. 51 goals in 64 games. 10 times with multiple goals. 28 goalless games. After 10 years of being on an AFL list.

Quoting 28 goalless games is a bit of furphy given he played in defence at the crows a bit and was first ruck in some games.
He was a free rookie pick. Not sure what people expect. Simon Madden?

Yes, and if you look at his career, and what he's done so far this year, I'm right 95% of the time.

The bloke is a spud. Half a dozen good games and we give him a 2 year deal. 51 goals in 64 games. 10 times with multiple goals. 28 goalless games. After 10 years of being on an AFL list.

His talent (or lack thereof) is disproportionate to your hate for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back