Harness Racing

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure exactly why, could only be a short-term thing, but at a meeting at Redcliffe last week the mobile arms failed to come back in and they hit a young boy and 2yo girl who were on the outside fence watching. I think the kids are going to be ok in the end but copped some big injuries.

Yeah banned as unsafe by the integrity unit

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
has anyone in here been involved with any good horses past or present?
Not really any good horses but family had the following 3 'good' ones in my time:
- 2nd in a 2yo Vicbred Sires Group1 running the short priced fave to a neck who won something like 18/20 that season and went on to Inters etc - fave ran out 4 or 5 horses in the home straight should have protested
- 3 time Harold Park winning mare incl feature race on Miracle Mile night
- Foal of the first mare mentioned, one time Australian middle distance record holding 2yo, won a few at Melton and Menangle.

onebillsdrive

All Australian
Jul 11, 2007
orchard park
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Not really any good horses but family had the following 3 'good' ones in my time:
- 2nd in a 2yo Vicbred Sires Group1 running the short priced fave to a neck who won something like 18/20 that season and went on to Inters etc - fave ran out 4 or 5 horses in the home straight should have protested
- Foal of the first mare mentioned, one time Australian middle distance record holding 2yo, won a few at Melton and Menangle.
Names?

Tiger man12

Debutant
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

very nice. Names? My family has had some nice horses over the journey too. No absolute stars but some nice horses that have won a few races

1554255510188.png

Harness racing has been rocked by an integrity investigation involving alleged race-day treatment and a well-known clerk of the course.
Jenny Douglas, who is clerk of the course at several major tracks as well as being a licensed trainer, is embroiled in the incident.
Her father, Keith, is alleged to have been privy to suspected race-day treatment at Bendigo last week.
Jenny Douglas has been stood down for seven days from clerking duties, pending submissions to Harness Racing Victoria.
HRV stewards ordered the scratching of her horse Hanging On A Dream only hours before it was due to run at Bendigo last Wednesday.
Stewards said the “scratching relates to a race-day stable inspection being performed … and concerns held that Hanging On A Dream had either been stomach tubed, or attempted to be stomach tubed. Stewards further held concerns that Brocks Best may also have been treated in breach of the rules.”
Brocks Best is trained by Keith Douglas.
The investigation continues.
The Herald Sun is not suggesting the allegations are true, only that they are being investigated.

This sport always finds a way to shoot itself in the foot.

Tiger man12

Debutant
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry guys not willing to name names, like my anonymity on the forum!

Thats fair enough. Happy for an inbox if you like? My family has had a few nice ones.
Pacer in the 90s and 2000s that won 32 races including a Group 3, another couple of pacers that won 19,16 and 22 races respectively and a couple of trotters that won 22,19 and 19 races each. Theres a few others but these were the most prolific

Last edited:
May 13, 2006
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ford Cortina
Thats fair enough. Happy for an inbox if you like? My family has had a few nice ones.
Pacer in the 90s and 2000s that won 32 races including a Group 3, another couple of pacers that won 19,16 and 22 races respectively and a couple of trotters that won 22,19 and 19 races each. all from SA. Theres a few others but these were the most prolific

Must have been with one of the better trainers for that amount of wins.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
View attachment 647245
Harness racing has been rocked by an integrity investigation involving alleged race-day treatment and a well-known clerk of the course.
Jenny Douglas, who is clerk of the course at several major tracks as well as being a licensed trainer, is embroiled in the incident.
Her father, Keith, is alleged to have been privy to suspected race-day treatment at Bendigo last week.
Jenny Douglas has been stood down for seven days from clerking duties, pending submissions to Harness Racing Victoria.
HRV stewards ordered the scratching of her horse Hanging On A Dream only hours before it was due to run at Bendigo last Wednesday.
Stewards said the “scratching relates to a race-day stable inspection being performed … and concerns held that Hanging On A Dream had either been stomach tubed, or attempted to be stomach tubed. Stewards further held concerns that Brocks Best may also have been treated in breach of the rules.”
Brocks Best is trained by Keith Douglas.
The investigation continues.
The Herald Sun is not suggesting the allegations are true, only that they are being investigated.

This sport always finds a way to shoot itself in the foot.
A quick google of news searches brings up more stories on this no-namer than a well known gallops trainer who is accused of basically an identical thing on the 2nd favourite in a Gp3 race from Sydney on the weekend. Therein lies your problem. Sweep sweep thoroughbreds

Tiger man12

Debutant
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Was just going through some of the races one of the horses my family had-
won Group 3 Sunshine Sprint in QLD, beating some good horses
3rd in SA cup, the winner being a Champion racehorse and stallion
2nd in Clipsal cup behind another star horse, 3rd in the race the following year behind another Champion
raced in an Interdominion
Was probably a notch below the really good ones but was competitive in big races

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Was just going through some of the races one of the horses my family had-
won Group 3 Sunshine Sprint in QLD, beating some good horses
3rd in SA cup, the winner being a Champion racehorse and stallion
2nd in Clipsal cup behind another star horse, 3rd in the race the following year behind another Champion
raced in an Interdominion
Was probably a notch below the really good ones but was competitive in big races
Found the horse in question and looked through some of its starts - would have been a great career to follow! Raced competitively against some champions and 30 wins!

Tiger man12

Debutant
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Found the horse in question and looked through some of its starts - would have been a great career to follow! Raced competitively against some champions and 30 wins!

funny how racing works. They had another one at the same time, who they rated a lot better, but in the end wouldnt get anywhere near it.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
funny how racing works. They had another one at the same time, who they rated a lot better, but in the end wouldnt get anywhere near it.
This has happened to my uncle twice now about 15 years apart: Had 2x 2yos who were going alright, but one was superior in training. Debuted them together, plunged who they thought was the superior horse, but the other horse won and went on to have better careers.

Tiger man12

Debutant
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
This has happened to my uncle twice now about 15 years apart: Had 2x 2yos who were going alright, but one was superior in training. Debuted them together, plunged who they thought was the superior horse, but the other horse won and went on to have better careers.

its amazing how often it happens. Happened again with the same training and two 2yo's he had. One was better in training yet hit the racetrack and it was completely different. It couldnt win a race and the other one won a fair few and would of been more if not for injury.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Interdom series kicks off in Auckland this Friday night with the first round of heats. They are two hours ahead for those wishing to tune in so first heat is 6.04PM AEDST.

Fields here:

In the trotters Australia are represented by McLovin and Tough Monarch. Both are big chances for the series after running the quinella in the big trot race on NZ Cup Day. Kiwi hopes Marcoola and Habibti look to the two main picks though at this stage.

In the pacers we have a good representation with San Carlo, My Kiwi Mate and Sicario from Vic, Colt 31 from QLD, Conviction, Atomic Red, Bling It On, Our Uncle Sam from NSW. Bling and San Carlo are my pick of the Aussies at this stage. Few ex Kiwis among them but we will claim if they win.

Purdon/Rasmussen have TheFixer, Cruz Bromac, Ultimate Sniper, Chase Auckland, Ashley Locaz and Another Masterpeice.

Not much else is given a chance in the series.

I will provide my power rankings each week after the heats.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
McLovin scratched from round 1 of heats but free to continue racing into heat 2 and heat 3. Would have to run top 3 in both but is a good chance at doing that.

Early tip is Chase Auckland. First horse home from the running line in the NZ Cup and then won the FFA. Really open series though, Thefixer would have brained them 6 months ago but doesn't seem to be going as well.

Ashley Locaz my smokie - was probably going better than Chase Auckland 6 months ago but probably hasn't quite taken the next step. Mach Shard the best 100-1 pop with his Auckland form fantastic.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Tonights heats:
Trotters. Marcoola and Habibi Inta will s**t in.

Pacers. I'll go Chase Auckland to beat Ashley Locaz, San Carlo and Ultimate Sniper. in the 1st heat. Triple Eight to win from Cruz Bromac, Bling it On and Thefixer in the 2nd heat.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Chase Auckland sensational but Ultimate Sniper gets him on the line. My best 100/1 pop Mach Shard got up for 3rd! Ashley Locaz blew the start but gets up for 4th!

Caller calling Ultimate Sniper Thefixer throughout. Ordinary.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Now Purdon wins a trotters heat with Winterfell. Marcoola good run. Temporale good run. Majestic Man absolutely flew home. Tough Monarch got a big stitch, was probably asked too much of.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Chase Auckland sensational but Ultimate Sniper gets him on the line. My best 100/1 pop Mach Shard got up for 3rd! Ashley Locaz blew the start but gets up for 4th!

Caller calling Ultimate Sniper Thefixer throughout. Ordinary.
Ashley Locaz actually 4th - I was going off the caller. He is bloody ordinary

Back