Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a great crowd. Hopefully almost doubled for the game against Carlton in a fortnights time.

I reckon after the thrashing freo gave north people were hesitant in going especially after the constant negative media and vfl experts continually saying how bad we are!
Hopefully people will see how we’ve been playing and come out, another 5/8k would be nice

Which is why next week against Footscray is a big opportunity for our club.

I’ll be there definitely

I reckon after the thrashing freo gave north people were hesitant in going especially after the constant negative media and vfl experts continually saying how bad we are!
Hopefully people will see how we’ve been playing and come out, another 5/8k would be nice

I’ll be there definitely
Yep i'll be there Sunday and i'm heading up for my first home game the week after.

Fremantle is not a sexy team to begin the campaign against, one of the lowest drawing teams we could start a season against sans GWS. Hopefully a home win and a traditional club coming to town should raise those crowds a bit to around 15k.

I enjoyed the rare dynamic of us home fans being well and truly in the majority.
Was good for the souls of all of us. There may have been some families there for the first time given the kids come free deal that will now be hell keen to go. Hence with a good result against Footscray (big opportunity boys) then we could get say 15k of our fans and 5k non-community Carlton imbeciles that live here and go to one game a year to hate on their own community which would weather permitting give us a chance of breaking the 20k mark, especially given the Titans sadly are a train wreck.

I enjoyed the rare dynamic of us home fans being well and truly in the majority.
Was good for the souls of all of us. There may have been some families there for the first time given the kids come free deal that will now be hell keen to go. Hence with a good result against Footscray (big opportunity boys) then we could get say 15k of our fans and 5k non-community Carlton imbeciles that live here and go to one game a year to hate on their own community which would weather permitting give us a chance of breaking the 20k mark, especially given the Titans sadly are a train wreck.
I reckon may get about 17k at the next game as long as we keep it competitive against the Bulldogs (a win would be great). People will just want to turn up to see a contest. If the Suns can compete people will want to turn up.

I reckon may get about 17k at the next game as long as we keep it competitive against the Bulldogs (a win would be great). People will just want to turn up to see a contest. If the Suns can compete people will want to turn up.

Agreed. That’s what I meant by “a good result” rather than saying “a win”.

Not a great crowd. Hopefully almost doubled for the game against Carlton in a fortnights time.
Fremantle have never drawn big numbers on the Gold Coast and probably never will. If we're to sell out a game like that, it will have to be 90% Gold Coast fans in the stands. It seems fairly automatic that we can pull a minimum of 10k to every home game so we just need to work on increasing that number by 10-15k and we'll be selling out games regularly, regardless of opposition.

It gives me no pleasure to say this because I’m also a Titans member but The Titans again were truly putrid tonight.
If The Suns come away with a good result on Sunday then what an opportunity to build crowds and support they/we would have.

Last edited:
It gives me no pleasure to say this because I’m also a Titans member but The Titans again were truly putrid tonight.
If The Suns come away with a good result on Sunday then what an opportunity to build crowds and support they/we would have.
No doubt it's a big opportunity for us to make some headway in a city which a lot of people still consider 'league heartland'. We've never seen how our beautiful city reacts when the Suns are successful on field, let alone in a year where the Titans are really underperforming. I'd guess we'll draw close to 20k next week if we can take down the Bulldogs tomorrow and it is certainly a very winnable game for us with the way Carlton are playing.

No doubt it's a big opportunity for us to make some headway in a city which a lot of people still consider 'league heartland'. We've never seen how our beautiful city reacts when the Suns are successful on field, let alone in a year where the Titans are really underperforming. I'd guess we'll draw close to 20k next week if we can take down the Bulldogs tomorrow and it is certainly a very winnable game for us with the way Carlton are playing.

I saw what you did there GC. It brought a tear to my eye brother.

I saw what you did there GC. It brought a tear to my eye brother.
Sorry mate. I know you're a big Titans fan but I feel it's inaccurate to describe the Gold Coast as 'league heartland' in 2019, even though I've seen some in the media still make that claim. In decades gone by it certainly was true but Aussie rules has really grown a tremendous amount on the Gold Coast over the last 25 years and the Suns have really done a great job of giving back to the community throughout their existence. Unfortunately both teams suffer from the transient nature of our city because most Aussie rules and rugby league fans based on the GC support a team that's not based here. This is why it will be a generational change for both teams to build strong supporter bases. I don't wish anything bad for the Titans but I also understand them performing poorly on field is advantageous for us in our current circumstance. It is what it is.

Anyway. The Titans are hosting Penrith this coming Friday so we'll see what kind of crowd they can pull in a favourable time slot. Then we host Carlton at Metricon two days later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry mate. I know you're a big Titans fan but I feel it's inaccurate to describe the Gold Coast as 'league heartland' in 2019, even though I've seen some in the media still make that claim. In decades gone by it certainly was true but Aussie rules has really grown a tremendous amount on the Gold Coast over the last 25 years and the Suns have really done a great job of giving back to the community throughout their existence. Unfortunately both teams suffer from the transient nature of our city because most Aussie rules and rugby league fans based on the GC support a team that's not based here. This is why it will be a generational change for both teams to build strong supporter bases. I don't wish anything bad for the Titans but I also understand them performing poorly on field is advantageous for us in our current circumstance. It is what it is.

Anyway. The Titans are hosting Penrith this coming Friday so we'll see what kind of crowd they can pull in a favourable time slot. Then we host Carlton at Metricon two days later.

No no no man-you bought a tear to my eye by saying “beautiful city”.
Have to disagree with you though about Friday night because they are playing at 6pm in the early game which I think is not good at all for getting a crowd.

No no no man-you bought a tear to my eye by saying “beautiful city”.
Have to disagree with you though about Friday night because they are playing at 6pm in the early game which I think is not good at all for getting a crowd.
I hadn't taken into account daylight savings so you make a fair point. Having said that, it's school holidays so that probably evens it out a bit. My understanding is that Penrith don't have a huge supporter base in south east QLD and are sitting outside the top 8 so it'll be interesting to see how many GC locals show up for that fixture with everything considered. On our side of things, Carlton do have a strong following in SEQLD so that will certainly boost numbers when the Blues run out onto the Metricon turf.

The Titans are odds on to pick up the wooden spoon this season

Hopefully there's a good turn out this weekend to show the boys how much their effort is appreciated. Could be a really good game and there's a few Carlton fans around. I was really hoping the q-clash in a couple of weeks would be my young fellas first game (he's two in May) but we went to the practice match vs the Lions and it was a nightmare. Too young to stay put, just wants to go everywhere. Maybe next year will be a better time. I was hoping to make him a Lions fan considering they should be in a good window when he's old enough to care but who knows, the suns may just be there too!

Looks like the media are trying to death ride the Titans again by suggesting they could be relocated. I hate that both factions of Australian sports media do this to Gold Coast teams when they have a bad season.

I’ve not seen that suggestion at all in the media lately but having said that it sure creates a lot of anxiety and drama for fans/players/admin that people from other clubs don’t have to live through when going through a slump. They just have to work on getting back into form, we have to justify our very existence.
It sucks.

I’ve not seen that suggestion at all in the media lately but having said that it sure creates a lot of anxiety and drama for fans/players/admin that people from other clubs don’t have to live through when going through a slump. They just have to work on getting back into form, we have to justify our very existence.
It sucks.

Garth Brennan reveals reason why the NRL cannot relocate the Gold Coast Titans
Garth Brennan has defended the Gold Coast Titans amid renewed talk over expansion and relocation in the NRL by saying the game would be deserting “phenomenal” junior players if it chose to move the club.

Are Gold Coast Titans at risk of relocation
As talk of expansion and relocation continues to make its way around NRL circles, questions are being asked of those clubs potentially at risk.

While the Wests Tigers and Manlys of the world have been discussed, another one of the competition's recent also-rans has largely avoided the speculation.

But with three finals appearances in the past 10 seasons and a track record of poor attendance, are the Titans at risk of facing the axe?

I really do despise the media's desire to death ride both GC clubs.

Just enjoyed a great Titans win
Crowd was poor though as you’d expect with such putrid showings

Reinforces what an opportunity Sunday is except for those who want to look ahead already and manage players

Dear Oh Dear
I still can’t believe cockiness has crept in to of all Boards are own

I’m flabbergasted

Just enjoyed a great Titans win
Crowd was poor though as you’d expect with such putrid showings

Reinforces what an opportunity Sunday is except for those who want to look ahead already and manage players

Dear Oh Dear
I still can’t believe cockiness has crept in to of all Boards are own

I’m flabbergasted
bodsy?
im curious as a primary AFL supporter what your thoughts are on the differences between watching an NRL game V AFL game Live? i assume considering your seats at metricon that you have decent seats at CBUS. ive been to 1 NRL game in my life and was bored out of my mind atmosphere was terrible and titans got flogged. it also seems that its a very 1 dimemsional sport which translates better to TV viewing as apposed to the 360 degree nature of AFL where its interesting to watch whats happening of the ball.

just interested after seeing highlights from the titans win and seeing a very bored looking crowd in the background.

bodsy?
im curious as a primary AFL supporter what your thoughts are on the differences between watching an NRL game V AFL game Live? i assume considering your seats at metricon that you have decent seats at CBUS. ive been to 1 NRL game in my life and was bored out of my mind atmosphere was terrible and titans got flogged. it also seems that its a very 1 dimemsional sport which translates better to TV viewing as apposed to the 360 degree nature of AFL where its interesting to watch whats happening of the ball.

just interested after seeing highlights from the titans win and seeing a very bored looking crowd in the background.

Yeah?? The Crowd were quite engaged where I was, particularly in the second half when it got spiteful.
You are right about NRL being suited to TV. You can see both sets of teams except the fullback at all times pretty much.
I’m not going to try and sell NRL to you, it’s all to do with passion for me.
Put a Gold Coast team in any national competition and I’m all in regardless of aesthetics.
In my case I grew up playing and watching Rugby League so it’s intrinsically in my DNA.
But while I’m at it for those imbeciles on our board who troll me (most of whom I have ignored) I played 3 Seasons of First Grade AFL in a Southern NSW Team in a League That had mainly Victorian Teams In it, so those condescending pricks who treat me like I know nothing about AFL well for three years I lined up against hardened men playing your sport.
Have a good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back