Review Round 2, 2019 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The major issue from yesterday was the lack of a leading forward, we can't have Hipwood, McStay and Cameron just leading back expecting the mids to kick it 60 metres over the top everytime. Big O showed what happens when you lead for the ball.

Definitely something the coaches need to work on in getting the structure and running patterns right.

The interesting part of all of that is all three are very good on a lead. Hipwood and Cameron have outstanding pace and McStay regularly takes marks on the lead as well. It certainly seems to be a coaching/ application thing.

I think we need to acknowledge Stephs centre taps to Neale in that last quarter. It was the reason I put him in my top 5.
I voted for both of them. Steph had a great ruckman's game.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So after a little wi fi blunder on the beautiful Pacific Dawn I was able to watch the game. Geez was I stressing. Well the * done boys. Last year we would of last that by 7 points or less. Not this year. Not this lions outfit. So bloody happy. Now to Port. Not an easy game. But our first 2 have been tough so no more excuses.

Ps. How does 2nd on the ladder feel.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I get what is being said about hippy n mcstay, they both have the pace to break away and lead up to the ball and i would like to see more of it. Would they really benefit from a cpl of weeks in the neafl when it kicks off to work on it, or would they be better staying in the firsts working on it as they go and continue to provide the positive things they are doing in the role thats asked of them. Are ballenden, wooler, fullarton, at a stage in their development where they could come in and provide more. Hippy is still very young and mcstay has probably only received decent coaching in the last two years. They will improve im sure and in time both will be very potent. I guess when adams is fit and has got some games under his belt we could send walker fwd if needed. We dont have anyone with hodge like experience in the fwd 50 so this group will have to learn, grow and develop together. Its our next area of focus i think now our defense and midfield seem settled.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just watched the first quarter for the first time. We were clearly the better team just couldn’t get any space in the forward line. Also had a rough run with the umps. Thought McStay played quite well apart from one dropped chest mark. Seemed to be judged quite harshly especially compared to someone like Cameron who had a pretty average game until his opponent got injured and clearly shouldn’t have been playing.

berrylicious

Rookie
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Even though i did cast my votes for individual players, could we add the box to tick for "team effort"?

My mate is a Pies supporter who keeps a close eye on us, as he has seen the pain and frustration i have been through over the years gone by. His only comment was "You have a real team there, enjoy it mate".

I cannot judge our players by stats alone anymore, but by their simple individual efforts and belief that we are a TEAM. This feeling as a supporter has not happened for a while, and i am tipping the players are feeling the exact same thing. You can almost feel the passion they have for each other on the field, and with some small skill improvements, i can feel and see a real upside to this mighty team called the "Lions".

If we can get to the Pies game with 4 wins, get on board and feel the love!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
AFL 2019: What every AFL club’s Round Two performance told us
It’s only Round Two, but …

The Lions look like they could be finals-bound. Chris Fagan’s team shocked the footy world when they soundly accounted for last year’s premiers in Round One. And a gutsy come from behind victory against North Melbourne on Sunday showed the young cubs have something much more valuable than talent - and that’s belief. Most punters surmised Brisbane would spend another year out of the eight before making some serious movement in September. But from their early season form, the Lions are every chance to play finals in 2019.

Nov 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm a bit confused on Witherden - but happy to be corrected if I'm missing something obvious. He was great at one point deep in the backline when he won the ball, rode a strong bump and cleared accurately out of the danger zone. But otherwsie around the ground, what's his strenghts? Just wondering.

And PS - like the way Hippy never gives up - seems to work his way in to a good contribution by Qtr 4

But otherwsie around the ground, what's his strenghts?

Great disposal. Better than Rich IMO, though I'd give Witherden another year or so to choose the best option each time. Rich gives brilliant straight bullet passes but Witherden can do those as well as having a bigger bag of tricks.

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
R2.JPG

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watching the replay and I really don't understand all the negative comments about Hipwood and McStay. I thought they played their role adequately and despite only kicking one each they played their part in us kicking over 100 points again.

Definitely wouldn't be messing around with the group that has made us the highest scoring team so far this year.

Watching the replay and I really don't understand all the negative comments about Hipwood and McStay. I thought they played their role adequately and despite only kicking one each they played their part in us kicking over 100 points again.

Definitely wouldn't be messing around with the group that has made us the highest scoring team so far this year.

Their main issues were leading patterns but that goes for all of our forwards. Could also be playing Etihad being a factor too. Definitely don't see them being quiet due to lack of effort.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do worry Hippy and McStay are focusing too much on bringing the ball to the front instead of going for the mark

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really glad I didn’t watch that second quarter live. Incredibly frustrating.

I wonder if the 2 50m penalties had anything to do with the late cheap shots the Eagles gave us after marking contests. Not much consistency there with the umpiring.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really glad I didn’t watch that second quarter live. Incredibly frustrating.

I wonder if the 2 50m penalties had anything to do with the late cheap shots the Eagles gave us after marking contests. Not much consistency there with the umpiring.

The second quarter was an awful watch - we misused it so badly at times, and despite that managed to get level through dominating general play through much of the quarter. And then we promptly gave up 2 cheap goals to undo all that hard work.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I don't think there are any negative comments. I brought it up initially as they are our 2 key forwards and they only have 1 goal each for the season. You would expect more from them now considering their age and experience. I think partly it is due to their leading patterns (leading towards goal rather than kicker) and partly because we have gun smalls now that they think they should bring it do ground rather than mark. They are doing a lot of other stuff really well but they do still need to kick goals.

Back