Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I eat and drink before and after the game. I refuse to purchase any of the overpriced products at Adelaide Oval. For the price of 4 beers at AO you can purchase a carton. Consumers need to start talking with their wallets, which is by boycotting.
My mates and I made the decision to not buy beer at the Carlton game. Usually we would spend several hundred dollars between us (there was 12 of us this week). All that was bought on Saturday was the odd water and chips. I only bought a water. The SMA can * off with their prices and bold face lying.

I eat and drink before and after the game. I refuse to purchase any of the overpriced products at Adelaide Oval. For the price of 4 beers at AO you can purchase a carton. Consumers need to start talking with their wallets, which is by boycotting.

I agree, but convincing people to unionise for their own benefit like that can be a struggle at the best of times

So how would the finances for a day like today work.

Free tickets for the Aflw final, and an apparent capacity crowd - I imagine that means staffing needed to be at full capacity ..... would the SMA make their money to cover that from food and beverege sale, are they sending the crows/AFL a bill or are they wearing it (which really means we/the crows subsidise it)?

On another subject, how after five years can they still not know how to manage a high volume bar in the members stand. I see they have taken the exit tolls out meaning each transaction required a staff member to individually poor the drink then process the transaction.

What ever happened to bulk pooring of beverage and having extra staff on the exit tills rather than taking orders ?

Surely it’s in their interests to speed up the processing to turn over more.

My mates and I made the decision to not buy beer at the Carlton game. Usually we would spend several hundred dollars between us (there was 12 of us this week). All that was bought on Saturday was the odd water and chips. I only bought a water. The SMA can **** off with their prices and bold face lying.

Buying water is dumb at the best of times, but especially so at a football game. It's 5 bucks for probably less than a cent's worth of water. Just bring your own bottle.

Free tickets for the Aflw final, and an apparent capacity crowd - I imagine that means staffing needed to be at full capacity ..... would the SMA make their money to cover that from food and beverege sale, are they sending the crows/AFL a bill or are they wearing it (which really means we/the crows subsidise it)?

On another subject, how after five years can they still not know how to manage a high volume bar in the members stand. I see they have taken the exit tolls out meaning each transaction required a staff member to individually poor the drink then process the transaction.

What ever happened to bulk pooring of beverage and having extra staff on the exit tills rather than taking orders ?

AFL would have paid a rent to hire the ground which would have covered a lot of the costs, but not all.

There would have been pre game functions and all the catering for corporate boxes.

From the info from the SMA's submission to the parliamentary Select Committee and the fact that in 2018 about 1.8m people attended footy and cricket game day events and catering revenue averaged about $12/attendee (net of GST) then the following revenue was probably made.

So given the true figure today was probably 43k not 53k, as smokers and anyone else going outside the stadium were double and triple counted, clicking over the turnstiles coming back in, thats about $500k revenue from the general public and maybe $300k to $500k done at corporate boxes and functions mentioned above.

1552288178878-png.633217

View attachment 633217

According to people I know that worked there, they were woefully understaffed for the crowd size.
Nicole Livingstone (CEO AFLW) said they expected at least 20k but were hoping for 25k.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
It's better to have an AFL GF guaranteed ticket and have your membership count for reals.

Are they allowed to oversell?
Whose gonna stop them? The AFL who sell 56k memberships for 23k seat AFL members enclosure at the MCG? The SANFL did it at Footy park. Over selling general venue memberships ( not the $5k per year ones), when less than 50% of the seats are reserved seats in that area, is stock standard stuff around oz.
Some Brazilian clubs have adopted a check-in system. You can go and try to get in just before the match, but there's no certainty that there will be available seats. Besides, if seats are not checked in, they become available to the general public.

Some Brazilian clubs have adopted a check-in system. You can go and try to get in just before the match, but there's no certainty that there will be available seats. Besides, if seats are not checked in, they become available to the general public.
Port oversell their general admin (GA) memberships.

They used to leave 7,000 seats as GA area seats and that covered about 11,000 members who had GA rights ie 11 gamer GA membership, 5 game country memberships, 3 game memberships, interstate members get rights to games in their home state and one or two game at AO get rights to those seats. Those 7,000 seats either in 2017 or 2018 became 5,000 as they transferred 2,000 seats to reserved membership seats as there was a reserved seat waiting list of about 4,000. The general public can buy tickets for these area seats.

There also is the 3,500 standing tickets on the hill which is for GA members or the public can buy GA tickets for the hill.

When it looks being over 50,000 crowd the club warn GA members to get their early because entrance is subject to capacity and you might not be let in.

We have sold games out, but we have never had a genuine lock out game where they wont let anymore people into the stadium.

The Port home showdown in 2015 a few weeks after Phil Walsh was murdered, there was a massive demand for the tickets and the SMA agreed to the clubs request that as all tickets were sold, to test the ground's capacity and let in as many people as possible. I don't think they officially locked anyone out, but they got close.

The crowd for that game was 53,518. The ground capacity in 2014 when the redeveloped ground reopened, the official capacity was 53,585 which includes standing area, but they made modification to seats with obscured views and realigned some and lost about 150 seats. there have been 2 games since then with marginally more people. 53,698 Port's home showdown in April 2017 and the 2017 crows v geelong Preliminary final 53,817. See

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/vn_adelaide_oval.html

They used to leave 7,000 seats as GA area seats and that covered about 11,000 members who had GA rights ie 11 gamer GA membership, 5 game country memberships, 3 game memberships, interstate members get rights to games in their home state and one or two game at AO get rights to those seats. Those 7,000 seats either in 2017 or 2018 became 5,000 as they transferred 2,000 seats to reserved membership seats as there was a reserved seat waiting list of about 4,000. The general public can buy tickets for these area seats.

There also is the 3,500 standing tickets on the hill which is for GA members or the public can buy GA tickets for the hill.

When it looks being over 50,000 crowd the club warn GA members to get their early because entrance is subject to capacity and you might not be let in.

We have sold games out, but we have never had a genuine lock out game where they wont let anymore people into the stadium.

The Port home showdown in 2015 a few weeks after Phil Walsh was murdered, there was a massive demand for the tickets and the SMA agreed to the clubs request that as all tickets were sold, to test the ground's capacity and let in as many people as possible. I don't think they officially locked anyone out, but they got close.

The crowd for that game was 53,518. The ground capacity in 2014 when the redeveloped ground reopened, the official capacity was 53,585 which includes standing area, but they made modification to seats with obscured views and realigned some and lost about 150 seats. there have been 2 games since then with marginally more people. 53,698 Port's home showdown in April 2017 and the 2017 crows v geelong Preliminary final 53,817. See

Which makes the crowd figure for the AFLW Grand Final even more of a nonsense.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I imagine the AFL were paying for the stadium on a per head basis. Hence the bigger than expected attendance figure.

As opposed to the counting system they use when they have to pay the tenant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The crowd at the Phil Walsh game would have been close to 60,000. The aisles were packed in like sardines.

The crowd at the Phil Walsh game would have been close to 60,000. The aisles were packed in like sardines.
What are you saying the SMA ripped us off 6k+ crowd for our showdown?

Scurrilous accusation REH.

On FootySA last night they talked about the girls GF and put up a list of the biggest crowds at the redeveloped Adelaide Oval.

For the Phil Walsh showdown they put up the figure 54,468. This is the figure that is reported at the official game day match centre page of the AFL website. See
https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2015/16/port-v-adel

They had a couple of other 54K footy game crowds in that list.

But as we found out in 2015 season the dodgy SMA had been counting staff in the official numbers and it was audited down to 53,518 and is the figure in the 2016 AFL Record Season Guide where it puts the info of every game played in 2015 round by round in the 2015 Results section and at;
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2015/011320150719.html

Given tonight is budget night, I am going to start using an old budget phrase, think it started with Phil Lynch's dodgy budget in the Fraser government years and was used for 15 years or so, to describe the SMA's numbers, past and future - RUBBERY!

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Looks like AO is losing its lusture. Just saw this ad on Big Footy to buy an AO Footy Membership. I assume they are still capped at 8,000.

Or has the SMA become that desperate for money they have lifted the cap??

View attachment 645348
I don't think they have lifted the cap. It certainly appears there has been a drop off in membership. I've been receiving special membership offer emails for months. That "win a $50 food and drink voucher" promo I posted elsewhere was for referring a new member.

It's better to have an AFL GF guaranteed ticket and have your membership count for reals. ...
whynotboth.jpg

... Are they allowed to oversell?
In recent seasons they have further restricted the number of guest passed available due to overcrowding in the Western Stand so they are hardly likely to oversell memberships.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So, I assume the next time a group of intoxicated, unruly Caucasian’s attempt to enter the Stadium the SMA will tell Oval ticket outlet staff to let no more Caucasian people into the ground?......

Thought not.

Depends, can anybody confirm that they've been let into a game after Eddie Dingle has already arrived?

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But as we found out in 2015 season the dodgy SMA had been counting staff in the official numbers and it was audited down to 53,518 and is the figure in the 2016 AFL Record Season Guide where it puts the info of every game played in 2015 round by round in the 2015 Results section and at;
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2015/011320150719.html
I'd call bullshit on that reasoning. On another forum, we had a silly crowd guessing competition when we actually noticed these different numbers.

Crows games were actually having their reported attendances reduced by a lower amount than Port home games. And the games with the biggest reductions in attendance numbers were actually Port home games against opposition with a low draw card. The games where Adelaide Oval doesn't bother opening a lot of the food locations, so they'd clearly have less staff on.

I'd call bullshit on that reasoning. On another forum, we had a silly crowd guessing competition when we actually noticed these different numbers.

Crows games were actually having their reported attendances reduced by a lower amount than Port home games. And the games with the biggest reductions in attendance numbers were actually Port home games against opposition with a low draw card. The games where Adelaide Oval doesn't bother opening a lot of the food locations, so they'd clearly have less staff on.
I first posted that there would have to be adjustments, after some contact with the late statistician Kevin Taylor of Footystats Diary website and Paul from AFL Tables, at this post on May 17th 2015.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ttendance-watch.1095395/page-12#post-38580437

These adjustments at that time were as per the post by Janus a couple of posts later, and I have just added what the game was to his numbers.

884 Rd 1 Adelaide v North Melbourne
768 Rd 2 Port v Sydney
879 Rd 3 Adelaide v Melbourne
844 Rd 4 Port v Hawks
*118 but 892 see below- Adelaide vs Port Adelaide *
873 Rd 6 Port v WCE

The showdown was strange because the crows issued a tweet a few days after the game saying the crowd was more than the official one put up on sreen. The tweet was posted here on May 8th 2015 which says 50,509 when the original official crowd at the ground was 49,735 and the final adjusted figure was 49,617

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...attendance-watch.1095395/page-5#post-38401477

After it was proved that the adjustments were true, I didn't made a full list of further adjustments, but there was another 47 pages after the first one I linked, going to the end of the season.

Edit But the Wookie did on page 56 of 60 of that thread,
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ttendance-watch.1095395/page-56#post-40559755

Last edited:

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wookie's post there has my point.

The Port v Hawthorn game has less removed than the Bulldogs and GWS ones. Versus Hawthorn, all food and bars are open on the Eastern stand, against the Dogs and GWS, most of them are actually closed. And the St Kilda game, maybe they started reporting correctly, but the GWS game is after that one.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
AFL would have paid a rent to hire the ground which would have covered a lot of the costs, but not all.

There would have been pre game functions and all the catering for corporate boxes.

From the info from the SMA's submission to the parliamentary Select Committee and the fact that in 2018 about 1.8m people attended footy and cricket game day events and catering revenue averaged about $12/attendee (net of GST) then the following revenue was probably made.

So given the true figure today was probably 43k not 53k, as smokers and anyone else going outside the stadium were double and triple counted, clicking over the turnstiles coming back in, thats about $500k revenue from the general public and maybe $300k to $500k done at corporate boxes and functions mentioned above.

1552288178878-png.633217

View attachment 633217

When you exit to smoke or whatever you dont use the turnstiles, you get a pass out card and exit/re-enter through the side doors/gates. On the east and south gates they are glass doors on both sides of the turnstiles, and at the north gate they open up the gates and a roller door.

So if they are double counting or more(as most smokers go out at every break), then that is some blatantly desperate dodgy s**t they are pulling now.

The only way i can see that happening is if they let people out/i through the turnstiles which makes it an obvious fraud that could be exposed by time stamps on records/data from the machines, or they are manually adding to the count, or just lying out of their asses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back