AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For anyone who is interested, Hammans is a forward and Hampson/Whap Ferrar rotate between the backline and the midfield. Hammans is also a foundation member of the Suns which is a really cool story! All three of the girls represented the Queensland U18 team last year and will do the same this year. It's very likely at least one of them will be named in the All-Australian team so that should be interesting to follow.

We don't have access to any other U19 girls from our academy until the AFLW draft in mid-October but we are able to sign up to 7 girls from Queensland who are over the age of 19 between now and October. Obviously majority of those players are going to come from either Bond University or Coolangatta and will be signed during/after the 2019 QWAFL season. The QWAFL season begins in April so there's plenty to follow if you're interested in how we're going to shape our inaugural women's team. Fiona McLarty believes we'll be drafting as many as five locals to our list EVERY year, so it's fair to assume our list will be heavily filled with Queenslanders now and going forward. We're very fortunate to be based in a state where the local standard of women's footy is very high.

I'm confident we'll be able to convince Lauren Bella to return to us next year (playing games in her hometown of Mackay is a big factor) and that should mean we'll have a 10+ year ruckwomen on our list. There are a few other Gold Coasters on Brisbane's list who could potentially come home as well but I really hope we are in discussions with Gretel Tippett because she wold be an absolute beast playing full forward for us.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
For anyone who is interested, Hammans is a forward and Hampson/Whap Ferrar rotate between the backline and the midfield. Hammans is also a foundation member of the Suns which is a really cool story! All three of the girls represented the Queensland U18 team last year and will do the same this year. It's very likely at least one of them will be named in the All-Australian team so that should be interesting to follow.

We don't have access to any other U19 girls from our academy until the AFLW draft in mid-October but we are able to sign up to 7 girls from Queensland who are over the age of 19 between now and October. Obviously majority of those players are going to come from either Bond University or Coolangatta and will be signed during/after the 2019 QWAFL season. The QWAFL season begins in April so there's plenty to follow if you're interested in how we're going to shape our inaugural women's team. Fiona McLarty believes we'll be drafting as many as five locals to our list EVERY year, so it's fair to assume our list will be heavily filled with Queenslanders now and going forward. We're very fortunate to be based in a state where the local standard of women's footy is very high.

I'm confident we'll be able to convince Lauren Bella to return to us next year (playing games in her hometown of Mackay is a big factor) and that should mean we'll have a 10+ year ruckwomen on our list. There are a few other Gold Coasters on Brisbane's list who could potentially come home as well but I really hope we are in discussions with Gretel Tippett because she wold be an absolute beast playing full forward for us.
Just on the AFLW draft.

It’s not like the men’s draft, where everyone is in an open pool, apart from F/S and academy kids.

The girls nominate which state/s they wish to play in. We’ve had a few interstate girls nominate QLD over playing in their home state. We’ve also had a couple of QLD girls nominate Vic, so we “lost” them.

Of course QLD will be different when you guys enter next year, in that every girl will either play for the Lions or the Suns academy, so they basically will only go to their academy club, unless they nominate interstate.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Q&A with Lauren Bella in the GC Bulletin today.

Gold Coast have openly said they will be trying to lure former academy members back to the club in 2020 when they enter the AFLW? You may have a big decision to make.
I was part of the Suns academy for three years and Mackay is part of their zone. This year has been a big change for me having to move to a club I have had no experience with. I’ve really enjoyed my time at Brisbane but we all have a big decision to make with that. I will finish the season with the Lions and won’t think about it until the season is over. It will come down to loyalty for me but I feel loyal towards both. I grew up with one club and now I’m part of a team where I experienced my debut and gave me my start in the AFLW.

She later said she will continue playing with Bond University later this year so I'm very convinced Bella will sign for us to be a part of our inaugural women's squad. No doubt us playing AFLW home games in Mackay is a huge carrot for her and her brother being in our academy helps as well.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Inaugural midfield assistant coach David Lake yesterday advised the Club he will enter the race for the Gold Coast Suns AFLW senior coach position.

https://m.lions.com.au/news/2019-02-22/lake-departs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I feel like if Bec Goddard applied then getting her is a no-brainer. Everywhere she goes she brings success and is an experienced AFLW senior Coach.

If our mens team has taught us anything, the first Coach must must MUST be experienced. No gun assistant Coaches. Get someone in that has done it before and knows what it means to get success at this level.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I feel like if Bec Goddard applied then getting her is a no-brainer. Everywhere she goes she brings success and is an experienced AFLW senior Coach.

If our mens team has taught us anything, the first Coach must must MUST be experienced. No gun assistant Coaches. Get someone in that has done it before and knows what it means to get success at this level.

From my understanding Mark Evans and Tony Cochrane head hunted Bec once the license was approved but also having to run an application process.. Carlton also tried to get Bec also I believe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In 2018 she coached Adelaide the a fifth place finish, with three wins for the season. She resigned at season's end, electing to return to Canberra to resume full time work with the Australian Federal Police.[7] In Canberra, she became an assistant coach of the University of Canberra Capitals basketball team.[8] The Capitals went on to win the Women's National Basketball League (WNBL) championship in 2019. Goddard attracted the interest of the Gold Coast Suns, who are scheduled to enter the AFLW competition in 2020, when it expands 14 teams.[9]

This might have something to do with why we couldn't get Goddard.

“David is a highly respected and successful coach and joins the club with established relationships across multiple levels of the Queensland football community.

“The appointment of David brings a new level of experience and expertise to our football program and allow us to move into our next stage of establishment in an extremely strong position.”

His coaching experience:

2006 – 2011 Senior Coach Mt Gravatt AFC – including consecutive finals 06-11, Premiers 2007, AFLQ State League Coach of the Year 2007.

2009 – current National AFL Coach Papua New Guinea.

2010 – 2014 Coach of AFL South Pacific team in National U16’s/18’s carnivals.

2014 – 2015 Senior Coach Morningside AFC – Premiers 2014, AFLQ State League Coach of the Year 2014. Coach of AFLQ 2015 State team.

2016 – 2019 Brisbane Lions AFLW Midfield Coach.

https://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2019-03-05/david-lake-appointed-inaugural-gc-suns-aflw-coach

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
If you ever listen to Bec Goddard commentate, she doesn’t have a positive thing to say about the Lions AFLW team, or Queensland in general. Will actively barrack for the other side during commentary.

Now, I know this may not necessarily be a negative for some/many of you.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
We’ve had so much luck with South Australians-let’s just RAID the Adelaide Crows Women’s List in preparation for next year. Bring in half a dozen players.
You can't do that. It's actually against the rules. Unless it's from Brisbane or Fremantle. B@st@rds at AFL house.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
How many players can we recruit then? After all we currently have a blank cheque book.
It's not about how many players you can recruit, it's about how many players other teams can lose. The AFL has said the Vic, SA and NSW teams can lose a maximum of 4 players combined to the new expansion clubs. But Fremantle and Brisbane can lose 8 players to expansion teams. We've already lost Sabrina Fredrick-Taub (SFT) to Richmond. So 1 does and 7 to go.

So you can't sign half a dozen players from one team, unless it's Brisbane.

Next is player contracts. They don't get paid enough to move states unless you line up a job for them. SFT (from WA) and Lauren Arnell (from Vic), who we picked up from Carlton, were both employed by AFLQ up here. We've had others working for the club or jobs we lined up. We still have a couple of TAS and WA girls on our list, so you have to believe southern and western clubs will be coming for them.

The top two players of each team will earn about $25,000 for the season, and then $10,000 for high profile players, and $5,000 for everyone else. That's $5,000 for an eight-week preseason and eight-week season. The players will train about nine hours per week, plus pre-season. This pay scale is set by the AFL, not the clubs.

Next is the draft. Because the pay is cr@p, the girls nominate what state they want to get drafted to. So we effectively can't draft girls from interstate, unless they nominate QLD. So Gold Coast will draft from their academy and Brisbane will draft from our academy from here on out, and both teams will be bottom of the ladder for the next 5 years at least.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's not about how many players you can recruit, it's about how many players other teams can lose. The AFL has said the Vic, SA and NSW teams can lose a maximum of 4 players combined to the new expansion clubs. But Fremantle and Brisbane can lose 8 players to expansion teams. We've already lost Sabrina Fredrick-Taub (SFT) to Richmond. So 1 does and 7 to go.

So you can't sign half a dozen players from one team, unless it's Brisbane.

Next is player contracts. They don't get paid enough to move states unless you line up a job for them. SFT (from WA) and Lauren Arnell (from Vic), who we picked up from Carlton, were both employed by AFLQ up here. We've had others working for the club or jobs we lined up. We still have a couple of TAS and WA girls on our list, so you have to believe southern and western clubs will be coming for them.

The top two players of each team will earn about $25,000 for the season, and then $10,000 for high profile players, and $5,000 for everyone else. That's $5,000 for an eight-week preseason and eight-week season. The players will train about nine hours per week, plus pre-season. This pay scale is set by the AFL, not the clubs.

Next is the draft. Because the pay is cr@p, the girls nominate what state they want to get drafted to. So we effectively can't draft girls from interstate, unless they nominate QLD. So Gold Coast will draft from their academy and Brisbane will draft from our academy from here on out, and both teams will be bottom of the ladder for the next 5 years at least.

Thanks...pretty depressing for sure but given what you outlined we should go and get 4 Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back