Review Round 2, 2019 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Scott appearing on 360 tonight, might make for interesting watching.

Great disposal. Better than Rich IMO, though I'd give Witherden another year or so to choose the best option each time. Rich gives brilliant straight bullet passes but Witherden can do those as well as having a bigger bag of tricks.

Yep... and Rich is still a bit like Robbo where they are very quick to blast the ball onto the boot at times with little regard of target when it comes to big clearing kicks. Rich played well no question but I actually think Witho in the long run will be a more impactful player.

Apart from Lachie I really struggled to pick another 4 standouts this week - but that's no bad thing I don't think.

There were a few flashes of brilliance from the usual suspects but it just seemed to be a game we ground out with all of our players standing up at different times... which is what good teams have to do.

For too long it's been really easy to single out a few players as the standouts. Now we have a group who's individual mistakes are outweighed by the stuff they do right. On replay I'll bet we could point out some seemingly costly errors by most guys at times during that game, only to find them make up for them moments later. Bez turned it over badly at one point only to hunt the ball down, tackle the player and force a turnover himself for example. O with the goals then the turnover is another.

To me this game was truly a team effort. Not flashy. No great brilliance or show piece. Just guts. And teamwork. And belief. Justifiable belief.

It would be just as hard to nominate 5 bad players as it was to nominate 5 good ones... and that's a great step forward.

Late to the party but North was good - it really was a quality win for us. We're so systematic in how we play, it's unrecognisable from bygone years. To have players that instinctively know where someone's going to be is a real credit to the coaching staff.

Neale's clearances late in the fourth quarter were absolutely nuts. Thought McCluggage lifted in the fourth and Berry was great all-day. Rich looks set for an AA season off HBF too.

Neale will be the recruit of the year but the value for money recruit is Linc - he's a gun. Ambrogio and Noble deserve a raise with what they've added to this group in the last 1-2 years. Absolutely perfect recruits

Yep... and Rich is still a bit like Robbo where they are very quick to blast the ball onto the boot at times with little regard of target when it comes to big clearing kicks. Rich played well no question but I actually think Witho in the long run will be a more impactful player.
Rich is so far removed from Robinson when it comes to disposal it’s not funny.

One of the silliest comparisons I’ve heard

Went with Neale, Cameron, Rich, Martin & Robinson. Couldn't sneak in Berry and Basti who I also thought were good.

I just cast my vote and noticed that Neale was voted by 96.6% of the total votes.
Not too sure what game the other 3.4% were watching.
Coaches votes = 10/10
Certainty to get the 3 Brownlow Votes

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from Lachie I really struggled to pick another 4 standouts this week - but that's no bad thing I don't think.

There were a few flashes of brilliance from the usual suspects but it just seemed to be a game we ground out with all of our players standing up at different times... which is what good teams have to do.

For too long it's been really easy to single out a few players as the standouts. Now we have a group who's individual mistakes are outweighed by the stuff they do right. On replay I'll bet we could point out some seemingly costly errors by most guys at times during that game, only to find them make up for them moments later. Bez turned it over badly at one point only to hunt the ball down, tackle the player and force a turnover himself for example. O with the goals then the turnover is another.

To me this game was truly a team effort. Not flashy. No great brilliance or show piece. Just guts. And teamwork. And belief. Justifiable belief.

It would be just as hard to nominate 5 bad players as it was to nominate 5 good ones... and that's a great step forward.

That was basically it and he even referenced our good injury list hahaha - although to be fair he did give us a fair amount of praise too.

i thought Richy was a standout behind Lachie. His third quarter especially was very influential.

Last edited:
after watching the highlights/all the goals vids a couple of times each... the goal kicking by charles and lincoln is just so refreshing to see. with berry, luggage, rayner, mitch, even zorko (not to mention hippy and mcstay), i never feel comfortable when they're lining up just yet.

Both lincoln and charles are terrific in play, but their shots lining up just sail through the center from around the arc and its just awesome to watch.,

Would have posted yesterday but enjoyed some celebratory drinks on the way home at the Napier and wasn’t much use last night.

Some comments largely thugs I haven’t seen others picking up much:
Hipwood- needs to start having shots when 50-60m out again. Eg. 2nd quarter passed to Zorko who missed trying to make the distance himself. Will get him in the game more and stats show having a ping from 50 is more effective then trying to spot up a pass inside 50.
Mccarthy - just doesn’t look like he makes mistakes.
Rich- I think he’s been playing like this defensively last few years, but it’s showing through now we are a half decent team.
Bailey- our defence needs his pace and daring and he’ll make mistakes learning on the job, but he did run himself into trouble many times yesterday and one poor kick (no more pressure than normal) out of 50 led directly to a north goal.
Mcluggage: great he has a left foot but reckon it’s time to save it for an emergency. 3 turnovers inside 50 off the left yesterday.
Berry was awesome. 10 marks and not many of them cheap ones in the switch or alone on a wing.
Lyons assist for Charlie’s first was play of the day for mine.
All the role players played their role (Gardiner, Walker, Bastinac, Mathieson etc.)

Our switching was done with so much more purpose and skill than past years. Very few times I was nervous when we made those passes because we picked the right time t mo so it and the players up the ground moved to make the next options.

Back