Autopsy Hawks fall in a heap against the Dogs - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

That's an excellent point!

There was no clear camera footage, only the umpires view of what he thought he saw and thus awarded the free for thus a strike and a clenched fist so the player should be reported and fined as you say / or suspended.
However they said the O’Meara one was also correct and there was definitely no fist clenched there
Seems the opposite to clarifying what’s allowed if you ask me. How the hell does any player in the league know what’s what with the rules

No definitely not. But going off the standard set by the umps round 1, doesn’t surprise me in the slightest when they pay it
Then explain why the dogs push and shove never got paid. This is where we are frustrated. Yes Jaegar was unnecessary, but the so was all the niggle that the dogs directed towards us which never got paid.

#freekickthrowdogs

Cannot say I was a fan of Wayne Carey before but I sure am now.

Someone finally with the balls to stand up call it for what is was on Sunday an absolute joke and then the AFL not to have the balls and say we got it wrong or overacted with Impey, Sicily and the O'Meara decisions, then where is this game headed? Only said the Worpell one was wrong but you could mention quite a few others for debate.

Imagine just ten years ago if those decisions were made? lol... The game is not AFL anymore but touch-footy which is really sad. Agree 100% about the Lycett one and Cox also as just not a contact sport anymore that made our game so tough and unique.

Really, really sad, as well might as well just go for the Melbourne Storm now as a big fan of Cameron Smith (big Hawks fan) and see some men playing 'the game' for what it is.

Or perhaps we could all follow the women's footy; as seems to be shoved down our throats by the media for whatever reason as rather watch Under 10's play myself unless the women play in their underwear like the USA gridiron as have as much respect for that crap. Sorry not a misogynist but just tell it like it is.
Lyon and Brown said as much on the couch as well. AFL said omearas action was a 'jab' hahaha get ****ed it was a jab

Did the AFL give their approval of the Lycett one?

Re: the Impey/Gowers one. Which ‘hit’ or push is it that gets penalised? The first one? The last one? The first ‘retaliation’ or perhaps just whichever the umpire feels like pulling out of their a**

I cannot believe it. The AFL has completely lost the plot and I’m more pissed off about Lycetts than Sicilys. How in the hell can a supposedly professional organisation treat its product and customers with such contempt and get away with it. There would be riots and sackings in other sporting codes but it just shows the AFL for what it is - a mickey mouse, arrogant and pathetic custodian of our national game.

We need to fight back and make a stand. Reclaim our once great game. Stop watching any game not involving the Hawks. Don’t buy any products endorsed in the AFL’s TV broadcasts. Bombard social media and electronic forums calling out the AFL for its dictatorship. It’s our game. Never forget that.
I agree totally. I had pretty much moved on from Sunday as just one of those things that happen but:

1) The AFL umpiring dept. doubling down and saying the Sicily and O’Meara frees were there; and
2) Seeing the vision of the Lycett free kick

Has made me wonder if it’s even worth engaging with the game at all. Sad future for it when it seems that AFL House has determined that it should combine the worst elements of the NFL for unnecessary razzle-dazzle and soccer for softness on contact. The only thing that will speak to the administration is turnover.

Important point there.
There’s absolutely no doubt that the Bullies were aware, obviously coached, to stir up the Hawthorn players. That’s obvious from looking at the game - Impey, O’Meara and Sicily in particular. And it paid dividends beautifully.

Knock the umpires as much as you like for overreacting - but blame the players as well for being sucked in at critical times. It was a Bulldog tactic and we fell for it. Look at the Sicily incident. The issue isn’t really whether it was an open handed push or whether his opponent started it.

The issue is this - the ball’s in the centre, nowhere near Sicily. Schache involves him in a bit of dialogue - probably quite deliberately - and gives him a push. So Sicily retaliates by shoving him back, in front of the umpire, once, twice and three times. Now who’s the idiot there? You saw by the reaction of Bontempelli - “beautiful, we got you there mate, thanks for the easy goal”
It was written on Sicily’s face too. He knew he’d been sucked in.

Same with O’Meara, a retaliating push reacting to something said to him in front of an umpire. Not one push, but twice and once again. Critical time of the game - sorry Jaeger, that’s really dumb sh*t because there’s only one way that can go. There’s no point in the push shove game - where you gain absolutely nothing - if there’s even a 20% chance of being free kicked.

Blame the umpires for soft decisions - but bloody hell, our guys were totally sucked in.

There’s no doubt that’ll be the message from the coaches this week - the same message given to Sis over the last couple of years.

True, we need a "how to handle the instigator within the rules" playbook. Maybe just smilling back at the oppo or chest bump them.

Yes they got sucked in, but the umpire didn't help them either. Feels like they have no choice and hopeless and don't know how to react. For those of us who's very close to the action, we're that furious that we're ready to jump the fence. Luckily none of us did that, but imagine the player's frustrations.

Anyway hopefully the boys won't be sucked in again next time. Stay focus, concentrate and strong minded especially in the last quarters.

Cannot say I was a fan of Wayne Carey before but I sure am now.

Someone finally with the balls to stand up call it for what is was on Sunday an absolute joke and then the AFL not to have the balls and say we got it wrong or overacted with Impey, Sicily and the O'Meara decisions, then where is this game headed? Only said the Worpell one was wrong but you could mention quite a few others for debate.

Imagine just ten years ago if those decisions were made? lol... The game is not AFL anymore but touch-footy which is really sad. Agree 100% about the Lycett one and Cox also as just not a contact sport anymore that made our game so tough and unique.

Really, really sad, as well might as well just go for the Melbourne Storm now as a big fan of Cameron Smith (big Hawks fan) and see some men playing 'the game' for what it is.

Or perhaps we could all follow the women's footy; as seems to be shoved down our throats by the media for whatever reason as rather watch Under 10's play myself unless the women play in their underwear like the USA gridiron as have as much respect for that crap. Sorry not a misogynist but just tell it like it is.

And at times they seem to hit the contests harder than the blokes. It can ferocious. They don’t seem to get pinged for every slight touch unlike the men. The men’s games is getting ridiculous with almost every contest influenced by an umpiring decision.

Last edited:
I know this is crazy talk, but how many footy fans serious about the state of the game would be willing to boycott one round of football? I mean all club supporters. It would certainly hit the home teams hard with loss of gate takings but would surely get those clowns at AFL Office to take note.

I’d certainly put up my hand.

I cannot believe it. The AFL has completely lost the plot and I’m more pissed off about Lycetts than Sicilys. How in the hell can a supposedly professional organisation treat its product and customers with such contempt and get away with it. There would be riots and sackings in other sporting codes but it just shows the AFL for what it is - a mickey mouse, arrogant and pathetic custodian of our national game.

We need to fight back and make a stand. Reclaim our once great game. Stop watching any game not involving the Hawks. Don’t buy any products endorsed in the AFL’s TV broadcasts. Bombard social media and electronic forums calling out the AFL for its dictatorship. It’s our game. Never forget that.

Problem is, unless someone were to start up a rival competition (which is well nigh on impossible given the AFL* own the trademarks to everything), the AFL* will always be the only game in town. So they don't have to be accountable to anyone. They don't have to give a stuff about the fans. They know we'll always fork out for memberships, and big matches will always get 50k+ crowds (40k+ at Docklands), regardless of what they do to the game. They have a virtual monopoly in the media, and nobody wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

In a nutshell, they know they can always take our loyalty for granted, because we have nowhere else to go during the March-September period (except to the rugby codes, which will only ever be niche entities in Melbourne anyway).

I know this is crazy talk, but how many footy fans serious about the state of the game would be willing to boycott one round of football? I mean all club supporters. It would certainly hit the home teams hard with loss of gate takings but would surely get those clowns at AFL Office to take note.

I know in reality I’m not going to miss a game, and I will as per usual front up on Sunday afternoon, but for the first time in my life, after round 2, felt like I did not want to go to the footy this week. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from what transpired.

I come in peace, but wanted to clear up something.

Can i get confirmation whether that Worpel free kick against is a legitimate rule?
Worpel freekick, is that legitimately a freekick as per the rules?
The two issues that the club needs to take up with the AFL:

1. The free kick against Worpel. It was vindictive and strongly suggests that the umpire is emotionally involved. It was an error by Worpel but in no way was it worth a free kick. Second year player.

From http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/...oach_AFL/2017_Laws_of_Australian_Football.pdf

15.6 FREE KICKS – RELATING TO UMPIRES
15.6.1 A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or Official who:
(a) uses abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene language towards an Umpire;
(b) behaves in an abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene manner towards an Umpire;
(c) intentionally or carelessly makes contact with an Umpire;
(d) enters the Centre Circle when the field Umpire is bouncing or attempting to bounce the football or when the field Umpire is throwing or attempting to throw up the football; or
(e) intentionally or carelessly engages in conduct which affects, interferes with or prevents an Umpire from performing their duties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that’s strange because they’ve come out and said that it shouldn’t have been a free kick:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...nswers-on-umpiring-calls-20190401-p519s8.html
The Age article doesn't explain why it shouldn't have been paid though.

The umpire was clearly implementing rule 15.6.1(d). He had announced he was ready to bounce the ball before Worpel ran through the centre circle.

How do you explain why rule 15.6.1(d) was not broken?

I thought it was a good loss that uncovered a some things we need to work on; mainly building midfield depth & leadership, but also this team needs to learn how to control the tempo of the game under pressure.

We're not as bad as that 4th quarter might suggest.
The third quarter is indicative of how damaging we can be.

Had Shiels and Burgoyne remained fit during the match, we would've won this in a canter.

I thought it was a good loss that uncovered a some things we need to work on; mainly building midfield depth & leadership, but also this team needs to learn how to control the tempo of the game under pressure.

We're not as bad as that 4th quarter might suggest.
The third quarter is indicative of how damaging we can be.

Had Shiels and Burgoyne remained fit during the match, we would've won this in a canter.
Don’t know about “a canter”. They stifled us in that 2nd quarter with our full team.

I have been watching the Hawks since I was 8yo (Yes I am an old fart now) and without a doubt this was the worst one sided umpiring I have ever witnessed (including when the umpires tried to drag the Handbaggers over the line in the 2008 GF).
For me there is 3 that stand out over my life time Goldspink,The Dogs Final and this one

There are a few keys to this game.

It was painful to do, but I took another detailed look at the game and went deep into what it was that got the doggies on top of us and have outlined where we need to improve.

Through the middle of the ground, we weren't considered with our ball movement. There were very few attempts to hit up the short target or fire the ball out to a player in a better position or with a better skill set. Love Worpel, but he goes the kick pretty quickly and I'm sure the club would rather he look for a player to dish off to unless he has an obvious target.

O'Meara is similarly a kick first sort of player, which is great if there's a target, but we are evidently not a team where you can bomb it forward and expect results - he was running at 50% efficiency which is not at all ideal. Simply put 11 intercepts to Crozier and 10 to Suckling is not acceptable.

Not only did we suffer from interchange limitations through losing Burgoyne and Shiels (55% and 53% game time respectively) we also had Ceglar on limited game time (66%) and Scully (76%, more than we would have liked heading in). This meant the rest of our players were on the field for 80% or more, and the dogs on the other hand were able to rotate more evenly.

Here's my bit of whinging too - I'm not sure how we're supposed to win in a clearance situation when Tom Liberatore literally just throws the ball. Not even kidding, I was continuously watching his handballs and slowed them down and it's the same every time. Jump forward, throw. Jump forward, throw. He never gets pinged and it absolutely does my head in.

The Age article doesn't explain why it shouldn't have been paid though.

The umpire was clearly implementing rule 15.6.1(d). He had announced he was ready to bounce the ball before Worpel ran through the centre circle.

How do you explain why rule 15.6.1(d) was not broken?
Not that it made a difference to the result, but the rule is clearly in place to prevent anyone impeding the bounce. The umpire hadn’t even started his motion - clearly an act of gross over-officiating, as evidenced by the fact that the AFL themselves agree. Common sense should have prevailed, as has happened in every single other case where a free could have been awarded for a similar infringement. I’ll do you a deal; if you can find me ONE other example where a free kick has been paid in the same circumstances over the last 50 years, I’ll agree it was a reasonable decision.

I'd be in a boycott. I'm f**kin sick of it. The game is being manipulate and we're being treated with contempt.

Here's my bit of whinging too - I'm not sure how we're supposed to win in a clearance situation when Tom Liberatore literally just throws the ball. Not even kidding, I was continuously watching his handballs and slowed them down and it's the same every time. Jump forward, throw. Jump forward, throw. He never gets pinged and it absolutely does my head in.
This has been highlighted on football shows(360 or On the Couch???) in the year they won their flag and yet the umpires dont crack down on it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back