Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

I agree except for the wording of your last line. The AFL will not be the ones giving out the punishment. This is very different to the Essendon saga, where I don't believe there were any individual positive tests (which would've been dealt with automatically by ASADA) but the exposure of team-wide doping with a very likely (99%) banned substance, and the coverups by the club (+/- AFL) that followed. It only escalated because ASADA/WADA were not happy with how the AFL dealt with it.

Murray's result goes straight to ASADA, and they will be the ones handing down the punishment - which they AFL will very likely have to comply with. AFAIK, the AFL are not really supposed to have involvement in the actual process, but it's very likely that they will be scheming to get the best outcome for the AFL. (which could be try to push for soft sentence, which would go along with their shitty illicit drugs policy, and appease the AFLPA, or less likely, try and push for a harder sentence, if they want to make an example out of this case) - ultimately though, ASADA decide.

Incorrect, refer to my post 1367 with the screenshot from ASADA’s website describing the process of a doping violation. It is the applicable sporting body’s tribunal that determines and hands out the penalty, so it is definitely the AFL here. If ASADA disagrees with the finding and/or penalty then they can appeal to CAS, as they did in the case of the AFL’s decision in regards to Essendon’s team wide doping program. The whole process is clearly detailed on ASADA’s website.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Like seriously how long can it take to achieve a result from a secondary sample. It's been over 7 months since he initially tested positive!

Shouldn't be that hard, it's either 2 years or 4 years.

I think you've kinda answered your own question.

Firstly, it will not be reported until a decision is made - not just when the B sample comes in (which must have already happened). The AFL (via Barrett, on afl.com.au) had no legal right to publish the initial result when they did, and it would not surprise me if Murray's lawyers have also raised this in whatever discussions are happening right now.

But the fact that there has been no finding yet, IMO, suggests that ASADA has been quite open to, or is at least willing to listen to, the complicating factors that Murray's team will be arguing: that he admits willingly taking Cocaine, but will argue it was 3-4 days before the game, and they will try to argue that it would not have performance enhancing effects 3-4 days later, even though the newer test may now be able to detect it then. The one thing in their favour is that if tested on a non-gameday sample, ASADA would not care about a positive test for cocaine (as opposed to most other PED's, or masking agents) - and the AFL's own drug policy would treat it as a "1st strike". It will come down to how well his team can argue that, what level of science they can use to back it up, and how much ASADA are willing to consider it as an argument.
I would suggest that the longer this takes, and the more time there is for these arguments, the more likely Murray does not face the maximum 4-year suspension, but probably some sort of comprimise like 2 years.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Incorrect, refer to my post 1367 with the screenshot from ASADA’s website describing the process of a doping violation. It is the applicable sporting body’s tribunal that determines and hands out the penalty, so it is definitely the AFL here. If ASADA disagrees with the finding and/or penalty then they can appeal to CAS, as they did in the case of the AFL’s decision in regards to Essendon’s team wide doping program. The whole process is clearly detailed on ASADA’s website.
my bad

The AFL leaks like a sieve, so it's surprising we haven't heard what delay is. Maybe there's legal action or threats stopping leaks?
There's only so many possible reasons for the delay though:
  • ASDA is still putting together it's case. Murray may have extenuating circumstances? Perhaps the matter has gotten bigger/more complicated than the initial leak suggested?
  • It's been through the AFL tribunal and is now waiting on an appeal (Murray or ASDA) to CAS

In terms of his footy our game plan has shifted since his recruitment. Would a line breaker with somewhat erratic kicking fit into the pinpoint keepings off style?

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL leaks like a sieve, so it's surprising we haven't heard what delay is. Maybe there's legal action or threats stopping leaks?
There's only so many possible reasons for the delay though:
  • ASDA is still putting together it's case. Murray may have extenuating circumstances? Perhaps the matter has gotten bigger/more complicated than the initial leak suggested?
  • It's been through the AFL tribunal and is now waiting on an appeal (Murray or ASDA) to CAS

In terms of his footy our game plan has shifted since his recruitment. Would a line breaker with somewhat erratic kicking fit into the pinpoint keepings off style?

If he improves his kicking he'd suit our style perfectly. Given his career is only approx 10 games old I'd be happy to give him the chance to improve his kicking should his ban end up being short. I'm sure you can agree that players can improve in this department, given time and experience. I can name 3-4 2010 premiership players for a start!!!

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
My mail is that ASADA have just taken their time dealing with it and it’s of no concern to them that he and everyone else wants a result quickly. An AFL Player doesn’t get special treatment. It’s apparently a massive frustration for the family who are hoping for a shorter sentence than what’s been reported as possible.

Do you reckon that style is going to be ongoing, or is it just for select teams?
Was gonna say this, I’ve seen no evidence that the style from Thursday is planned as a consistent thing.

I think we need to be flexible in how we approach different sides. Makes us a lot more fluent translating to a plan B if we do.

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
So what happens if the b comes back with a lower level
Or
If the bs been contaminated , not secure or varies

Something's going on

Hope Sam gets barretts new mustang

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or

Something's going on

:p

1554162274937.png

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or

Something's going on

The B sample would be back and long tested.

If in anyway the B sample was different to A sample, the case would be dismissed and thrown out. That is the simple part.

What is likely happening now is the legal manoeuvring to have a verdict reached and agreed upon as to circumstances.

My mail is that ASADA have just taken their time dealing with it and it’s of no concern to them that he and everyone else wants a result quickly. An AFL Player doesn’t get special treatment. It’s apparently a massive frustration for the family who are hoping for a shorter sentence than what’s been reported as possible.

No wonder the AFL think they are a Joke

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or

Something's going on

I think its more likely that I am Barrett's new mustang than anything like this is going on.*

*For the record, I am not. If anyone is riding anyone, its me riding Barrett. Wait, that sounds worse...

* me I think I need some cocaine now.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think its more likely that I am Barrett's new mustang than anything like this is going on.*

*For the record, I am not. If anyone is riding anyone, its me riding Barrett. Wait, that sounds worse...

**** me I think I need some cocaine now.
You went through the purple patch their horse.

Any which way riding purple is never a good thing.

Do you reckon that style is going to be ongoing, or is it just for select teams?
Likely we’ll switch depending on the opposition, and potentially across games. Ideally we need all players capable of playing all styles in case we switch during games and to minimise changes from game to game.

As seen with Thomas players can come back from lengthy bans, but it will take time and there’s the chance someone might take the spot.

Likely we’ll switch depending on the opposition, and potentially across games. Ideally we need all players capable of playing all styles in case we switch during games and to minimise changes from game to game.
Having a “brand” of football you impose on the opposition is old school/stick in the mud/bring your mouthguards to training/done a cartilage/189cm ruckman stuff.

Find out what your opponent doesn’t do well and exploit it to the best of your ability.

IT's ridiculous, used to be innocent until proven guilty, but here he is unofficially banned for months until they deign to actually process his case.
Its a real can of worms to have someone with a positive test continuing to compete.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
IT's ridiculous, used to be innocent until proven guilty, but here he is unofficially banned for months until they deign to actually process his case.
Though he may have also chosen to agree to step aside so it’s part of any penalty proscribed.

Back