Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's Monopoly Times is totally vomit worthy.

If those running the PAFC do not see why they should have gone 1000% for a women's team today's paper should give them a good idea. The PAFC has dropped the ball imo as they are more interested in a warm and fuzzy community profile than concentrating on what should be our core business- football.
I would like to have an AFLW team, but in 2015 the first talk was that it might happen by 2020, and then in 2016 as it got more serious, SA wasn't going to get a team, as it was going to start with a 6 team comp not 8, because the talent pool in SA wasn't good enough, given SA played in Div 2 at the national championships and wasn't anything special in there and couldn't even push to get in Div 1.

There was always going to be a team in Qld and WA and 3 or 4 teams in Victoria as they were the Div 1 teams and had huge pool of players compared to SA and the AFL loved the idea of a team in Sydney.

Gotta give it to Fagan for stitching up the NT women's as part of the crows. They have picked up players from there as part of their initial squad and got corporate $$$ from there as well.

Of course getting Erin Phillips, the best player in the comp, as a marquee/international sports pick has also made a bloody big difference. Chelsa Randall from the strong WA women's comp was also a very smart marquee signing.

Last edited:
You can argue the toss whichever way you like as to whether we dropped the ball by not going hard for an AFLW team or whether we were never going to get one anyway. All I know is that by not having one, we've copped yet another handicap in terms of the way we're represented by the media and seen by potential sponsors and potential supporters compared to our cross town rivals.
You are correct. Human beings, being the higher animal they are, remember events the way it suits them at any particular time.
The crux of the choice in early 2016 of AFLW or no AFLW versus China brought with it a number of realities:
1) We had no chance of securing in 2016 a second SA AFLW licence; KT told me so at our lunch in the FCC when he came through HK after signing the first deal with Gui in Shanghai; he was left with China as lone cab at the rank;
2) This notwithstanding, KT only asked me one question on the complex project of China and working with Gui - one question only ... and I’ve detailed my bemusement in the relevant scene in Episode 5 of the Docudrama thread;
3) Whereas KT had the personal ability and experience to lead the Club into AFLW in 2016 which was closed in any case, he had insufficient ability and experience to lead the Club into China which was open;
4) Looking back, the wrong decision was taken, by KT, but he had no choice, something on which memories are today cutting him no slack;
5) By having no choice which fork in the road to take, KT consequently had no choice but to be seen to make China into the sort of success he should be pointing his finger at today and answering our memories with: “See! I made the very best out of the no-choice situation I was facing in 2016.”
6) He can’t say that because he has not made a success out of China, not success enough by far ... because he was not, and still isn’t, personally equipped to do so.
7) 2020 can’t come and go quickly enough, and this particular Catch 22 - we have oodles - with it.

This is how the RAA Travel promotes the Port v St Kilda game in Shaghai...

1554143749765.png

For a short but sweet stay, this 3 star package gets you a ticket to the highly-anticipated St Kilda match against Port Adelaide in Shanghai on the 2nd of June 2019.

Maybe it is nit picking on my part but as the RAA is a South Australian organisation and a sponsor of AFL in SA why do they use a Victorian club as a promotional vehicle? Why not a photo of Port Players celebrating a victory? It is the RAA's prerogative to promote this game any way they like but it is also a Port supporters prerogative to book travel arrangements through any travel agency they like. Surely the RAA runs their promotional material past someone at the PAFC before they promote a Port game to Port supporters ?

This strikes me as a crazy and non supportive way to promote a game in the South Australian market place. Particularly as the RAA have high profile advertising at every AO game.

Last edited:

We were never going to get the first W team.
Not sure since Fremantle did ahead of West Coast.

What is clear is that we didn't prioritise it given the resources needed to focus on China so we left the field to the Crows.

I don't want to blame the club with the benefit of hindsight. At the time it seemed a good decision as most misread the popularity the women's comp would achieve and the strength of the argument it would make for government funding.

Not sure since Fremantle did ahead of West Coast.

What is clear is that we didn't prioritise it given the resources needed to focus on China so we left the field to the Crows.

I don't want to blame the club with the benefit of hindsight. At the time it seemed a good decision as most misread the popularity the women's comp would achieve and the strength of the argument it would make for government funding.

Still is a good decision.

The women’s comp isn’t popular at all - ratings are down everywhere except the GF.

The reason why Adelaide got the team was because the demographic of Adelaide fans who would turn up to games no matter what. They’ve never had a game under 20k in their existence. Neither has Fremantle.

Port Adelaide has, so I guess the question isn’t AFLW or China...but Football Park or Adelaide Oval.

I believe with Erin as our inaugral captain, with the history of this club, we would have turned up in droves.
Especially if we did as well as the current AFLW Crows team and especially with free access to games.
We missed a massive opportunity. Seems to be the way we roll.
What’s the bet when we join the AFLW we will all have to pay for access from the get go.

There's every chance Port people would have rocked up in droves. The critical difference is that the die is effectively cast in SA with AFL allegiances, so crowd numbers and memberships are not the issue. You could make the argument that it opens the club up to different sponsors. However we have that already in a large part due to the outstanding work of Power Community, an area we absolutely shade the guys across town on.

Don't sweat it.

The photo of Greg Phillips wearing Crows gear on the front page of today's Monopoly Times is really hard to take.

No criticism of Kutchie as he is in a difficult position but I am not sure I would want to be seen decked out in Crow's gear on the front page of the daily rag.

Hopefully our Club will have a women's team in the AFL sooner rather than later and Erin can get back to her roots. To Erin's credit, earlier this week she made it abundantly clear that if Port Adelaide had a women's team that is where she would be playing.
If your son or daughter turns out for an AFL GF, you're gonna wear the polo regardless, or you are a verifiably s**t dad.

yeah it seems like a big deal because little old Adelaide has made a big deal about the AFLW GF this week, but in 5 years time we'll have a huge imprint in China (if we get our act together by all accounts) AND an AFLW side, organically put together from our own youth levels. hopefully coached by E. Phillips because surely we'd get her back right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe with Erin as our inaugral captain, with the history of this club, we would have turned up in droves.
Especially if we did as well as the current AFLW Crows team and especially with free access to games.
We missed a massive opportunity. Seems to be the way we roll.
What’s the bet when we join the AFLW we will all have to pay for access from the get go.
Thats nonsense OGC ... I am going to keep calling out posters who repeat this!

An "opportunity" implies a possibility afforded to do something - There was ZERO possibility for us get a AFLW licence - ZERO. WE were told so at the time by the AFL, and so the club quit proceeding with its licence application, with the public statement that we were 'focusing on China.' We had no choice to make, so stop putting the blame on the club.

Last edited:
It's a bit of an incomplete story to say Port dropped the ball by not having an AFLW team.

Quite apart from the observations already about whether we would have been granted a licence anyway and trying not to split our focus on China, you have to take into account all the other caveats of the competition.

If Port had an AFLW team, and if Port's AFLW team was playing for its second premiership in three years, and if Port's AFLW team totally dominated the competition in its third year making a home grand final and premiership a formality, well then yes there was a missed opportunity.

53,000 (or however many really) South Australians went to that game because that is the nature of South Australians. We are so irrelevant on the national stage that when SA'ns are sure they are more than likely to make some sort of splash, they turn out in droves.

I'm sure there were lots of crow supporters, I'm sure there were lots of women's footy followers and I'm sure there were lots of theatre goers who wanted to be there when SA won something. Nobody expected that crowd because they only looked at it from a football point of view, not a sociological perspective.

If Port had an AFLW team that finished mid-table, all the talk would why did we waste our time on this and not concentrate on China.

It's a bit of an incomplete story to say Port dropped the ball by not having an AFLW team.

Quite apart from the observations already about whether we would have been granted a licence anyway and trying not to split our focus on China, you have to take into account all the other caveats of the competition.

If Port had an AFLW team, and if Port's AFLW team was playing for its second premiership in three years, and if Port's AFLW team totally dominated the competition in its third year making a home grand final and premiership a formality, well then yes there was a missed opportunity.

53,000 (or however many really) South Australians went to that game because that is the nature of South Australians. We are so irrelevant on the national stage that when SA'ns are sure they are more than likely to make some sort of splash, they turn out in droves.

I'm sure there were lots of crow supporters, I'm sure there were lots of women's footy followers and I'm sure there were lots of theatre goers who wanted to be there when SA won something. Nobody expected that crowd because they only looked at it from a football point of view, not a sociological perspective.

If Port had an AFLW team that finished mid-table, all the talk would why did we waste our time on this and not concentrate on China.

I think Damian Barrett summed it up best.

If... Port had been granted an AFLW license
Then... they would have a team but they weren’t so they don’t.

I think Damian Barrett summed it up best.

If... Port had been granted an AFLW license
Then... they would have a team but they weren’t so they don’t.

No one slides doors like The Warrior.

WTF!

Mark Bickley on the radio talking about Dusty:

“I’ve no sympathy for someone who elbows someone in the head 100m off the ball”

So when they’ve just disposed of the ball is ok then?

f516c74b7c127f47675ffc5b036f1819.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back