List Mgmt. Part 3- And on it goes: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the way they framed the Tim Kelly question to Chris Scott on Talking Footy.
'How close were you to rolling over in regards to the Tim Kelly trade'? * me, it would have been the Eagles rolling over.

The club is in a rare position of power at the minute both Kelly and Cogs are OOC which gives us two elite players to target without either being a need. Along with holding picks 14-18 26ish and 35ish with ample cap room to attract one player on decent coin. Let it play out we have the strongest hand here

Love the way they framed the Tim Kelly question to Chris Scott on Talking Footy.
'How close were you to rolling over in regards to the Tim Kelly trade'? **** me, it would have been the Eagles rolling over.

Geelong might have gone the right option though in hindsight ....Geelong have become a contender with Constable going great , Dalhais and Rohan . Keeping Kelly gives them a chance of a flag ....three second round picks would have been handy in a few years time though .
Not a Geelong fan though , they can suck lemons for all i care .

Last edited:

Geelong might have gone the right option though in hindsight ....Geelong have become a contender with Constable going great , Dalhais and Rohan . Keeping Kelly gives them a chance of a flag ....three second round picks would have been handy in a few years time though .
Don't get too seduced with the handbaggers yet. Unfortunately they will probably finish top 4 if they keep this form up, but their track record in finals is shocking. I don't think recruiting Gary rohan is going to help when times get hard in a do or die final.

a player of Kelly's ilk on a first contract minimum base salary is too good to trade. He's significantly undervalued because they pay him peanuts and he's max production.

I will enjoy the Geelong tears when they don't get close to two early first rounders.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The club is in a rare position of power at the minute both Kelly and Cogs are OOC which gives us two elite players to target without either being a need. Along with holding picks 14-18 26ish and 35ish with ample cap room to attract one player on decent coin. Let it play out we have the strongest hand here
Trust me we need a mid.'it's just which one we can get maybe even jack martin.A great backline and forward line makes the midfield seem better then it really is.

Between Freo and West Coast outbidding each other somehow they are going to turn Tim Kelly into Josh Kelly.

Just as long as Coniglio doesn't end up at Freo I'm happy.

Freo have got a few ex/teammates of Coniglio so that could be a attraction for him ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I will enjoy the Geelong tears when they don't get close to two early first rounders.

Not sure where they think we will get the picks from.

We only have so many players worth top 10 picks on their own, and we only get one first round pick ourselves.

Pick 13-18 + a best 22 player might get you pick 10, and then trading Yeo or McGovern might get you a pick inside 10. Yeah, let's do that. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The general consensus on the Geelong board isn't connected to reality, though.

Going by Chris Scott's comments on Talking Footy last night, the Geelong board's 'general consensus' doesn't seem too far fetched from what the coach thinks either...

He says we would have got "an absolutely outstanding deal" last year.

Going by Chris Scott's comments on Talking Footy last night, the Geelong board's 'general consensus' doesn't seem too far fetched from what the coach thinks either...

Kelly's value is potentially higher to them because they believe their window is open, albeit closing imminently. Had they picked up Kelly a year or two into a rebuild (unlikely they would have given his mature age) what we offered probably would've been very enticing.

We being WC or Geelong?

They wanted an exceptional deal, so it seems unlikely that they would get that and we would get an outstanding one at the same time.

Kelly's value is potentially higher to them because they believe their window is open, albeit closing imminently. Had they picked up Kelly a year or two into a rebuild (unlikely they would have given his mature age) what we offered probably would've been very enticing.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the practicalities and constraints of trade week.

You want Jeremy McGovern? Two top 5 picks, no ifs no buts. Contracted, hasn't asked to leave, isn't up for trade.

Kelly requested a trade under contract and will probably request a trade again. He's a good player, but he's not so good that a club outside WA would burn a top 10 draft pick on him after he had to enter the draft after leaving a club he actually likes because he wants to return to WA. If he won't entertain a trade to Freo I doubt they would either.

Collingwood and St Kilda couldn't agree to terms on Luke Ball and he went into the draft at age 25. Collingwood traded their first pick (14) and took him at pick 30. Melbourne had 1, 2, 11, 18 and said they'd maybe use pick 34 or otherwise 50. Clubs just don't invest early picks in established players trying to get elsewhere.

Eh I mean who exactly are we going to drop from our midfield to fit Kelly in?

Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed are set in stone.

Redden and Hutchings play completely different roles that are critical to team balance.

We always play two rucks.

Our defence is set (7 defenders with 1 rotating): Mcgovern, Barrass, Hurn, Jetta, Sheppard, Cole, Duggan.

The only place he may play is in the forward line (7 forwards with 1 rotating): Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Rioli, Cripps auto picked. He would be competing with the like of Brander, Venables and Allen who we want to get games into.

Eh I mean who exactly are we going to drop from our midfield to fit Kelly in?

Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed are set in stone.

Redden and Hutchings play completely different roles that are critical to team balance.

We always play two rucks.

Our defence is set (7 defenders with 1 rotating): Mcgovern, Barrass, Hurn, Jetta, Sheppard, Cole, Duggan.

The only place he may play is in the forward line (7 forwards with 1 rotating): Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Rioli, Cripps auto picked. He would be competing with the like of Brander, Venables and Allen who we want to get games into.

Hutchings, Masten and Redden - I'd select Kelly over all three.

A starting midfield of Naitanui, Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Gaff and Kelly is not going to be relying too much on a tagger. Roles and gameplan will change based on what our squad looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back