Autopsy Hawks fall in a heap against the Dogs - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the Henderson comment as concur his best 4 quarter game for the club to date.

Are the AFL and lovely umpires going to pay a free kick against Dustin Martin when he gets the ball and pushes his opponent away with force in the play which all the media seem to applaud?

Or because its our beloved rugged Dusty it is deemed okay and play on?

Either you can or cannot push a player in the chest whilst stationary or in the play I would have thought? What is the difference as the action itself should be deemed the same? Or is it okay to forcibly push an opponent away as in the act of play?

I would say NO now now AFL. If any player pushes a player with an open hand to the chest whether he be stationary or in the act of play the offending player should immediately pay a free kick to the opposition player who was on the receiving end of this humiliation and brutality!If not why? It is the same forceful action is it not?

A side note on that; have you noticed a few opposition clubs / players being taught to grab his offending arm and dragging him down which is having a huge impact on dulling his influence on games.
You have opened a can of worms that I had not considered. The don’t argue; that we all love, is a forceful hit to the chest... certainly more forceful than O’Meara gave that resulted in a reverse free kick.
If the AFL apply their stupid rules then there can be no more hits to the chest = no more Don’t Argues 🙀

Last edited:
The AFL does quite a bit of fluffy family friendly marketing. That's great. But it completely ignores and/or avoids the bigger issues. As was evidenced during the Essendon drug saga the AFL was more concerned with protecting it's brand than finding the truth or at least showing some transparency during the WADA investigation. A call (alleged?) to Essendon FC to inform them that WADA was on their case somehow seemed the right approach to the AFL. Says everything. They ditched Demetriou because he was damaged goods but replaced him with McLachlan to protect themselves because he knows where all the bodies are buried. Massive cultural issues that needed a complete overhaul after the Essendon case and appointing McLachlan rather than an outsider (which would have been the best thing to do) is proof of what a closed shop the AFL is. Is McLachlan even qualified or capable? Is Hocking with all his "great" ideas qualified or capable? It is one thing to be an ideas person but completely different to be someone that can actually implement them. New ideas done the same way they have always been done doesn't cut it no matter what business one is in.
I cannot respond to most of your post. You say so much.
But, I like the many of changes to the game that have been brought in. Even after our loss.
Hocking has done well.

You have opened a can of worms that I had not considered. The don’t argue; that we all love, is a forceful hit to the chest... certainly more forceful than O’Meara gave that resulted in a reverse free kick.
If the AFL apply their stupid rules then there can be no more hits to the chest = no more Don’t Argues 🙀

Exactly right!

One may argue that a player running at another with great speed putting his arm out to the chest or face; is far more forceful than two players putting their hands out pushing one another in a stationary position with a bit of silly gamesmanship.

Exactly right!

One may argue that a player running at another with great speed putting his arm out to the chest or face; is far more forceful than two players putting their hands out pushing one another in a stationary position with a bit of silly gamesmanship.
Buddy may as well give up the game. He often hits smaller people in the chest... then runs off and kicks a goal.

Consider the rule: Buddy hits an opposition in the chest with more force than O’Meara did.... runs on and kicks the goal. Then is brought back and a free kick against him.

Ludicrous: but if the rules are applied... Buddy is far#ed, and the game is lost

Last edited:
Listening

I cant even get SEN on the radio down here as building a house in Ventnor but went online and called up but basically they said it wont be an issue in a few weeks and we copped it...doesn't make it right though..lol Hope I didn't sound too pissed.. as had a few wines..

If you do get on, be succinct.
If a forceful shove, like the one O’Meara did, then every Don’t Argue is against the rules

I was trying to make that point but the guy kept talking and was like I was on mute after my initial point....got my BurnsideProductions plug in anyway...lol..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, now we know that those 2 decisions were correct we now submit the 873 times that they didn't pay free kicks for the same stuff.

When Sicily gave away the free kick why weren't the bulldog pushes on Sicily at the same time paid? Why didn't the players in our forward line that got pushed in the same fashion on the bounce 3 plays earlier?

This should put the free kick Hawthorn thing to rest:
View attachment 647099

For me it explains it. I knew it was nonsense at the time, but these figures confirm that during the #FreeKickHawthorn era, we received a higher ratio that we otherwise did. Coupled with our deliberate tactic to generate turnovers through holding the ball decisions (which was quietly changed via rule interpretations in 2016).

So people just look at the snapshot differential and see it's positive at that time, and confirmation bias kicks in. #FreeKickHawthorn

Have a look at the last two seasons numbers for Richmond :eek:

Umpiring decisions aside I felt we went to sleep for the last 15 minutes.

Clarkson was 110% right - we weren't the better team - we played one good quarter and were pretty putrid the rest. He didn't sook it up like many here are because he knows we should have done better.

Need to regroup and get back to basic footy.

Not sure why this 'not the better team' thing gets so much air time like it excuses the impact the umpiring had. Of course we could have played better. A lot better. And I'm sure Clarko will have plenty to address with the players. Doesn't in any way mean we shouldn't be livid about game altering umpiring decisions.

It's actually a good sign (or a sign of a good team) that despite not playing well that we had absorbed their pressure and looked like winning until the game was flipped on it's head.

I have been watching the Hawks since I was 8yo (Yes I am an old fart now) and without a doubt this was the worst one sided umpiring I have ever witnessed (including when the umpires tried to drag the Handbaggers over the line in the 2008 GF).

Can empathise. It’s hard to have started watching footy in the early 80s and reconcile that with a game where you literally can’t touch the other player.

I cannot respond to most of your post. You say so much.
But, I like the many of changes to the game that have been brought in. Even after our loss.
Hocking has done well.

Yeah, difficult to unpack in hindsight. A rant. I haven't had much time for football in the past couple of years other than to watch the occasional game. Sunday tipped me over the edge so I may just stick to watching from afar. Having seen the Cox one match ban (I know it was overturned) last night has clinched it for me. Got better things to do. Bottom line is I have very little regard for the people running the AFL and that makes it very difficult to get involved, spend ones money etc.

so is there a better way, what could be the solution regarding the judgement being held by the umpires on force of contact, punches etc? is it possible to take some of this out of their hands and leave it adjudicated by the players? I am talking about all the push and shove, gut punches etc.
for example, an umpire can only award a free kick if the player goes to ground. the hit is either hard enough for the player to go to ground (and hence is free kick worthy), or the player themself deems it worthy of going to ground (which is the player essentially messaging the ump 'I should receive a free kick' - this is the player self-adjudication component as I doubt players would want the reputation etc.). could this work?

so is there a better way, what could be the solution regarding the judgement being held by the umpires on force of contact, punches etc? is it possible to take some of this out of their hands and leave it adjudicated by the players? I am talking about all the push and shove, gut punches etc.
for example, an umpire can only award a free kick if the player goes to ground. the hit is either hard enough for the player to go to ground (and hence is free kick worthy), or the player themself deems it worthy of going to ground (which is the player essentially messaging the ump 'I should receive a free kick' - this is the player self-adjudication component as I doubt players would want the reputation etc.). could this work?

There is no solution that would work for AFL. NBA referees consult the tape these days which seems to work decently well, but we don't have the game that will allow for that amount of stoppage just to evaluate frees.

Wednesday afternoon, surely time to move on....unless someone has a DeLorean with a flux capacitor.

Totally agree with the comment...

The umpiring was deplorable. But..... no amount of whining will reverse the decisions (unfortunately)

Honestly speaking, we were lucky to be in the game at half time.... very lucky.

There were some great signs... Hendo, Worpedo, Scrimmers and JOM were great I thought.

What we needed was Hodgey and Silk out there in the last quarter marshaling the troops.

For me, the part that was most annoying was the ease with which Suckers and Duryea picked up possessions.

Time to move on to the Kangas.... and the unveiling of the Winged God.

Last edited:
I know there was a heap of rubbish cheating calls in our game. But Scott Lycett gave away the softest free kick in the history of the game. If that gets paid consistently and Rucks no longer find touch on their opponent we will be playing netball.

I know there was a heap of rubbish cheating calls in our game. But Scott Lycett gave away the softest free kick in the history of the game. If that gets paid consistently and Rucks no longer find touch on their opponent we will be playing netball.
It was definitely up there with Sicily's! Both were absolutely atrocious decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back