Eddie McGuire

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
He is entertaining, hence I listen to the MMM Melbourne podcast most days from good old Adelaide.

Whilst he is the main stumbling block to my club the jumper I watched my heroes wearing as a kid, I don't begrudge him his right to fight for his alternative opinion.
Do you believe one day Port will be black and white and Collingwood wont be?

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
I don't mind Eddie, I'd rather have him there than not.

I'd noticed the wonky coin toss and when he made his comment I replied out loud 'She's got a bloody walking stick mate!'

Clearly he didn't notice, but I think your comment hits the nail on the head, why have a dig at some old duck, or anyone for that matter, just because they're a bit iffy on their toss. It's a bit of a thing for these people and so why take the shine off it by mocking them.

In the modern vernacular there's the idea of punching up and punching down. If a well connected and powerful media personality mocks a pleb then that's punching down...bad thing boo!...if a pleb let's fire at Eddie that's punching up and it's tolerable.

He should probably understand that a bit better, I think he genuinely lacks self awareness; there's a touch of the David Brents about him.

On SM-J330G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Terrific post. He obviously didn't go out to offend, he obviously wouldn't have made the remarks had he known the woman's situation and was (seemingly) genuinely remorseful. But why even comment on the coin toss in the first place?

I must admit I'm over the ex-AFL player gravy train re: TV commentary. Genuinely great commentators like Tony Leonard and Peter Donegan slave away in radio purgatory while seemingly anyone connected with a club can walk into a plumb commentary gig without any skill. Eddie is better than most but he's still part of the whole boofhead commentary culture.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Terrific post. He obviously didn't go out to offend, he obviously wouldn't have made the remarks had he known the woman's situation and was (seemingly) genuinely remorseful. But why even comment on the coin toss in the first place?

I must admit I'm over the ex-AFL player gravy train re: TV commentary. Genuinely great commentators like Tony Leonard and Peter Donegan slave away in radio purgatory while seemingly anyone connected with a club can walk into a plumb commentary gig without any skill. Eddie is better than most but he's still part of the whole boofhead commentary culture.

Generally good when he plays it straight. And that's with everything. Radio, TV and AFL commentary. He's good at what he does... until he tries to be funny. Nearly always lame and cringe worthy or at other times completely tone deaf and inappropriate.

Last edited:
Back