Who are the top 10 midfielders in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

They’re just convinced he’s the worst kick in the league I think.

His disposal efficiency is 73% so far this season which isn’t amazing but not horrendous.

Only 2 game sample size but:
Oliver - 72%
Dangerfield - 66%
Sloane - 70%
Congilio - 57%
Dusty - 65%
Cotchin - 49%
Well I think there's a bit of competition for our best midfielder but my apparently unpopular opinion is that Sidebottom is not in the conversation. He's clever and he finds it with ease but he has nowhere near the damage and prowess of Treloar, Beams and Pendlebury. It's good that opposition supporters want to rate Collingwood players highly but I reckon Sidebottom is genuinely overrated, as much as I love him.

Well I think there's a bit of competition for our best midfielder but my apparently unpopular opinion is that Sidebottom is not in the conversation. He's clever and he finds it with ease but he has nowhere near the damage and prowess of Treloar, Beams and Pendlebury. It's good that opposition supporters want to rate Collingwood players highly but I reckon Sidebottom is genuinely overrated, as much as I love him.
really? i support a team that saw chris judd win a brownlow and i remember a clearance from sidebottom to de goey in last years prelim that might just be one the best clearances i've ever seen.

it's unbelievable you don't consider him damaging. i mean you'd know better than me so i'm not disputing it but it's certainly an interesting opinion. he was the one that west coast decided to tag in the grand final last year.

really? i support a team that saw chris judd win a brownlow and i remember a clearance from sidebottom to de goey in last years prelim that might just be one the best clearances i've ever seen.

it's unbelievable you don't consider him damaging. i mean you'd know better than me so i'm not disputing it but it's certainly an interesting opinion. he was the one that west coast decided to tag in the grand final last year.

I’m not saying he’s not damaging, he has some unreal tricks and he’s always a reliable user but he’s not always the amazing game changer that others see him as. Particularly given the amount of ball he gets on average, he doesn’t always hurt the opposition and he can sometimes get a lot of ball and you don’t really notice him at all. His finals series was fantastic and I don’t blame others for putting him up with the best because of his run on form, but ultimately week to week across a whole season, he gets a bit too much credit for my liking, when others outperform him.

They’re just convinced he’s the worst kick in the league I think.

His disposal efficiency is 73% so far this season which isn’t amazing but not horrendous.

Only 2 game sample size but:
Oliver - 72%
Dangerfield - 66%
Sloane - 70%
Congilio - 57%
Dusty - 65%
Cotchin - 49%
Pendles always underrated, going at a lazy 84% disposal efficiency this season

DE% is a wank stat, only quoted by know-nothings.

It doesn't tell you whether a player kicks more than they handball.
It doesn't tell you how much pressure a player is usually under when they dispose of the ball.
It doesn't tell you what type of disposals they attempt; do they attemp longer, riskier kicks? Or do they kick backwards or sideways a lot?

People need to stop quoting DE%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crippa has already surpassed Dusty. I really rate the Bont, but he hasn’t done enough to get a mention as yet. He has shown enough, but hasn’t done enough.

At a glance:

Two best and fairests
One All Australian
34 goals
49 career Brownlow votes

V

Two best and fairests
One All Australian
101 career goals
65 career Brownlow votes

One “hasn’t done enough to get a mention”. Is it the first player, or the second?

Last edited:
Pendlebury is going better than Sidebottom this year. Mitchell is out for the season just quietly. Cotchin got the 10 coaches votes over Cripps in the opening round, always underrated.
I reckon Cotchin is underrated too. I would have done straight swap Neale for Cotchin while he was here

DE% is a wank stat, only quoted by know-nothings.

It doesn't tell you whether a player kicks more than they handball.
It doesn't tell you how much pressure a player is usually under when they dispose of the ball.
It doesn't tell you what type of disposals they attempt; do they attemp longer, riskier kicks? Or do they kick backwards or sideways a lot?

People need to stop quoting DE%.

Most stats are better when combined with others e.g. contested possessions, kicks vs handballs and DE.

If you are getting low contested possessions with a high ratio of handballs to kicks and your DE is still low, I think that tells you something...

1. Patrick Cripps
2. Shane Edwards
3. Ben Cunnington
4. Scott Pendlebury
5. Tim Kelly
6. Nat Fyfe
7. Angus Brayshaw
8. Rory Sloane
9. Jack Macrae
10. Lachie Neale

On current form it’s debatable whether Dusty would break a top 50 list. His absolute best, which exists in an entirely different dimension to where he’s at now, is still the league’s best imo.

On current form it’s debatable whether Dusty would break a top 50 list. His absolute best, which exists in an entirely different dimension to where he’s at now, is still the league’s best imo.

If Dusty is no.1 at his best, then what about Fyfe at his best? They're hard to split for me. But I'd have them both above Dangerfields best.

If Dusty is no.1 at his best, then what about Fyfe at his best? They're hard to split for me. But I'd have them both above Dangerfields best.
It’s a tough one. I’d still say Dusty but I’m obviously biased to a certain extent so not the most qualified person to split them. Agree that both are ahead of Danger, in fact I’d have a couple others ahead of him.

The Bont should be in the top10 on every list.

By simple fact that his coach uses him where needed does not subtract away from the fact that when Bontempelli plays purely midfield he is one of the most impactful/inspiring users of the football going around as far as quality midfielders go.

Lachie Neale is also underrated and is leaving Fyfe's shadow behind this year.

Pendles always underrated, going at a lazy 84% disposal efficiency this season
For some reason champions are marked hard. Selwood is in a similar boat, Cotchin is same.
Pendelbury was a class above anyone against Richmond. Every time I watch them play they influences contests and games. Cotchin was our best against Collingwood, and best on ground against Carlton but nothing. Like Selwood and Dangerfield in particular, he does things that some of the prettier mids never do.

Last edited:
For some reason champions are marked hard.

The Bont is an example of being marked hard. We’re told Bont “hasn’t done enough” - he’s an AA, dual best and fairest with one of those in a premiership year, and has kicked more than 100 goals despite playing predominately as a midfielder.

For some reason champions are marked hard. Selwood is in a similar boat, Cotchin is same.
Pendelbury was a class above anyone against Richmond. Every time I watch them play they influences contests and games. Cotchin was our best against Collingwood, and best on ground against Carlton but nothing. Like Selwood and Dangerfield in particular, he does things that some of the prettier mids never do.
C'mon mate. Cotchin is playing well for him, but he doesn't belong in this conversation.

no particular order

fyfe
dusty
danger
cripps
cotchin
neale
Mitchell
gaff
Oliver
Selwood

pretty difficult, as there are others who could easily be considered top 10