2018 Grand Finalists - West Coast vs Collingwood ##Optus Stadium Friday 12th July## Round 17, 2019 ( Edited page 15 current discussion )

Who wins the rematch of the 2018 Grand Final between the Black and White Army and the Eagles

• Collingwood - They'll be too hungry with an added chip on their shoulder - Blowout Victory

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • West Coast - Dom Sheed will have a blinder and break their hearts at the death again

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Pies in a close one

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Eagles to roll at the G winning comprehensively

Votes: 38 19.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So West Coast beat Collingwood 3 times late last year including twice at the MCG. West Coast get back 2 of their best players in Shepherd and Gaff and the 2 teams have had similar early year form (disappointing round 1 and excellent round 2). Yet WC are now rank outsiders for this game? Seems strange to me.

So West Coast beat Collingwood 3 times late last year including twice at the MCG. West Coast get back 2 of their best players in Shepherd and Gaff and the 2 teams have had similar early year form (disappointing round 1 and excellent round 2). Yet WC are now rank outsiders for this game? Seems strange to me.

"Can't win at the MCG" :)

We had a slow start to the season in Rd 1. Sheppard back in but Gaff and Naitanui yet to feature. LeCras gone, Cripps and Rioli injured, Kennedy injured Rd 1 so forward line inexperienced as a unit. We looked a lot better in Rd 2 though. We are OUT: Lycett, Schofield, LeCras, Cripps, Rioli, IN: Hickey, Petruccelle, Sheppard, Allen, Smith pending changes for Rd 3.

In Collingwood's favour they have Roughead (200cm, 100kg) and Moore (203cm, 100kg) in defence. In the finals the biggest defender they could muster was Tyson Goldsack coming off no H&A games at all. They've also added Beams and have Elliott back so those 4 ins for Goldsack, Sier, Hoskin-Elliott, Adams is a pretty good result.

Rank outsiders seems skewed, though. $1.60 to $2.90 is pretty strong favouritism, I'd have thought the Pies would be more like $1.80-1.90.

No real excuses from our end this weekend, near full strength, not travelling, and had an extra day and a half rest.

I'm guessing the gf was a 65-70% pro Collingwood crowd, it'll be closer to 95% this week and a genuine advantage

Well the mcc is expecting 58,000 to the game. I personally think they will get 60,000. West Coast normally draw 5,000 of their own supporters to the mcg so let’s hope that 55,000 Collingwood fans get them over the line

I'm guessing the gf was a 65-70% pro Collingwood crowd, it'll be closer to 95% this week and a genuine advantage
I am not so sure what home advantage there will be this time. Crowd might be a bit quiet. I usually reserve my feralness for the likes of Richmond, Carlton and Essendon.

Before I give any comment on this game or on the Grand Final I just wanted to say that the WC supporters in this thread are cool as s**t. I thought there'd be WAY more s**t-talking, baiting and silliness from both supporters sides here, but the vibe in here is great which is really refreshing on this site.

Not trying to earn points here, but I just wanted to make mention of some anecdotal evidence of how cool WC supporters are; My Dad went on a cruise with his wife in early December and said there were this group of WC supporters on the cruise, wearing their jerseys, scarfs etc... and my Dad approached them to talk about the Grand Final and he said that they were all very nice, humble supporters and they had a great convo about the game, how each side did in 2018, the streak the Pies had over them at the G etc... He said he had a great long talk with all of them and that none of them were the least bit cocky or arrogant.

I watched the game with the old man at the pub and of course, we were bitterly disappointed at the time, but we've talked about it heaps since and neither of us went into any great depression or whinged and complained about (to any great degree). We both thought it was a great game and that the better team won. We both had injuries throughout the year and a few going into the Grand Final, but at the end of the day the Eagles were the best team all year and clearly the best team on the day. We got the jump early and hung in there until the end, but it was clear from even before the first quarter ended that the Eagles were the better team that day. Alright, I'll admit I'm still a little annoyed at some of the holding and pushing under the ball that Barrass got away with, but he still played a good game, took some great marks and rebounded well so I can hardly claim the only reason Cox couldn't have any impact in the first half was due to the umpires. Still, I hope Cox gets a bit more of a fair shake this time around. It annoys me that everyone claims he had such a bad game when he came right into the game in the 2nd half and recorded his 3rd best stats for the year. Sure, he didn't have as much impact as Darling did in the 3rd qtr, but no-one says he had an all-round terrible game even though he was as un-impactful as Cox was in the first half. But I digress. Both players ended up having a decent game.

As for this game, obviously I feel that we're carrying a ton of momentum into this game which is great because we s**t the bed badly last week against Geelong, the the turn-around against Richmond (who in all fairness were missing Rance Houli and Jack for 3 qtrs of the game) was just awesome and I feel we're in just about the best possible position going into this game. West Coast also had a great turn-around in Round 2 and even though I agree with others that the game would've been more interesting had it been later in the season, I still feel this should be a great game and that we're both coming into the game at near full-strength and with a ton of momentum from big wins in Round 2.

One last thing. I was pretty unfamiliar with West Coast's side a couple of years ago, especially their younger players and predicted them to do very poorly in 2017 and beyond, but that belief obviously dissipated in 2018 and I really enjoyed watching their games throughout the year and seeing some of the young guys coming through and guys like Sheed and Redden really stepping up and becoming such good dependable players. Redden had probably been underrated for a while and Sheed has definitely announced himself as a seriously good player. That clutch-goal in the Grand Final is one of those awesome career making moments and I hope he continues the form he's in and has a great career. Such a good player to watch.

Hope it's a great game! Our last 2 games were good close games and I hope we have another barn-burner this weekend!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh boy this will be a ripper, but I think the Pies will pip us this time... 9 day break, at home, midfield at full strength..
I'd be more confident if we had Rioli, he had a great pre seaon, looked super fit, gutted that we may be without him for possibly the next 5 weeks.
Anyway, all the best to the Pies, geez a draw would be epic, can you imagine the build up to the rematch in round 17 (for which i have already secured awesome seats)

Before I give any comment on this game or on the Grand Final I just wanted to say that the WC supporters in this thread are cool as s**t. I thought there'd be WAY more s**t-talking, baiting and silliness from both supporters sides here, but the vibe in here is great which is really refreshing on this site.

Not trying to earn points here, but I just wanted to make mention of some anecdotal evidence of how cool WC supporters are; My Dad went on a cruise with his wife in early December and said there were this group of WC supporters on the cruise, wearing their jerseys, scarfs etc... and my Dad approached them to talk about the Grand Final and he said that they were all very nice, humble supporters and they had a great convo about the game, how each side did in 2018, the streak the Pies had over them at the G etc... He said he had a great long talk with all of them and that none of them were the least bit cocky or arrogant.

I watched the game with the old man at the pub and of course, we were bitterly disappointed at the time, but we've talked about it heaps since and neither of us went into any great depression or whinged and complained about (to any great degree). We both thought it was a great game and that the better team won. We both had injuries throughout the year and a few going into the Grand Final, but at the end of the day the Eagles were the best team all year and clearly the best team on the day. We got the jump early and hung in there until the end, but it was clear from even before the first quarter ended that the Eagles were the better team that day. Alright, I'll admit I'm still a little annoyed at some of the holding and pushing under the ball that Barrass got away with, but he still played a good game, took some great marks and rebounded well so I can hardly claim the only reason Cox couldn't have any impact in the first half was due to the umpires. Still, I hope Cox gets a bit more of a fair shake this time around. It annoys me that everyone claims he had such a bad game when he came right into the game in the 2nd half and recorded his 3rd best stats for the year. Sure, he didn't have as much impact as Darling did in the 3rd qtr, but no-one says he had an all-round terrible game even though he was as un-impactful as Cox was in the first half. But I digress. Both players ended up having a decent game.

As for this game, obviously I feel that we're carrying a ton of momentum into this game which is great because we s**t the bed badly last week against Geelong, the the turn-around against Richmond (who in all fairness were missing Rance Houli and Jack for 3 qtrs of the game) was just awesome and I feel we're in just about the best possible position going into this game. West Coast also had a great turn-around in Round 2 and even though I agree with others that the game would've been more interesting had it been later in the season, I still feel this should be a great game and that we're both coming into the game at near full-strength and with a ton of momentum from big wins in Round 2.

One last thing. I was pretty unfamiliar with West Coast's side a couple of years ago, especially their younger players and predicted them to do very poorly in 2017 and beyond, but that belief obviously dissipated in 2018 and I really enjoyed watching their games throughout the year and seeing some of the young guys coming through and guys like Sheed and Redden really stepping up and becoming such good dependable players. Redden had probably been underrated for a while and Sheed has definitely announced himself as a seriously good player. That clutch-goal in the Grand Final is one of those awesome career making moments and I hope he continues the form he's in and has a great career. Such a good player to watch.

Hope it's a great game! Our last 2 games were good close games and I hope we have another barn-burner this weekend!
Awesome post. Pies fans have been terrific. You won’t find any malice here apart from a bit of banter.

Eagles by 7 trillion.

Last edited:

Well said mate.

We needed to get better in midfield, and have more height in defence to beat the Eagles. We have recruited to do both.

Either way this weekend's game won't burn either team. It's how you are playing at the pointy end that matters.

Similar to WC v Sydney back in the day I think. A few classic games but not much spite and historically there's no real reason for the clubs to hate each other. Plus we won the GF so it's very easy for us to be a bit smug and condescending/magnanimous about the whole thing :cool:

Similar to WC v Sydney back in the day I think. A few classic games but not much spite and historically there's no real reason for the clubs to hate each other. Plus we won the GF so it's very easy for us to be a bit smug and condescending/magnanimous about the whole thing :cool:

I think the site as a whole needed a breather after the Richmond Collingwood BS.

The real reason the pies fans can't hate the eagles is you don't rub things in our face like every other Vic fan, the swans (due to Ed) or Bris.

The only worry is if pies fans don't hate you, we don't particularly care about you. 😉😉

Pies never had a healthy list available until now, including both games last year with players injured mid game. #pieshadinjuries

Not that I fully subscribe to that as its a little insulting to the Eagles. That's the rhetoric though

Back