List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have Gold Coast Suns unearthed the next Charlie Cameron?
COULD the Gold Coast have the next Charlie Cameron waiting to make his mark in the AFL?

Fitzroy Greenwool is one of the most exciting talents coming through the Suns system and someone former Gold Coast academy coach Beau Zorko has likened to high-flying Brisbane talent Cameron for his raw skills and flair.

Both indigenous players hail from the Gulf of Carpentaria, Cameron from the Mornington Island and Greenwool from Kowanyama, and both seem to share a brand of football that can turn games.

“We would do depth tests and line up bins from 10m, 20m and 30m and he would put them in straight away,” former Suns academy coach Beau Zorko said of the small forward.

“It was remarkable. Others might get it one to three times but Fitzroy could do it up to five.

“He isn’t dissimilar to Charlie (Cameron). He has a good leap on him and you know anything could happen when the ball is in their area.

“He could snap a goal over his shoulder and think nothing of it. Those types of players are unpredictable but you’re more than happy to kick them the ball because they can bamboozle opponents more often than not.”

Greenwool, who stand at 172cm and weighs 58kg, joined Gold Coast’s academy in 2018 and Zorko has the chance to coach him again after becoming head coach of the Broadbeach Cats who the Suns player is aligned with.

What are the chances of us picking up Fitzroy Greenwool in the mid-season draft? Would be great to have some representation from the Gulf of Carpentaria at our club because right now it's just Charlie Cameron and those kids from north-west QLD are probably growing up wanting to play for the Lions because of Charlie. It's an untapped area and a part of our zone so I'd really like to see us take advantage of that. Plus, the closer you get to the NT border, the more likely it is that kids are playing Aussie rules instead of rugby league.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Kowanyama is an interesting place.
People may have heard of the tragedy that happened up there in 2016.
I imagine the community is very tight knight.
He has been around the GC for a few years - wonder his likelihood of sticking around if he doesn't get picked up early. Pull to go back home could be strong.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Kowanyama is an interesting place.
People may have heard of the tragedy that happened up there in 2016.
I imagine the community is very tight knight.
He has been around the GC for a few years - wonder his likelihood of sticking around if he doesn't get picked up early. Pull to go back home could be strong.
I don't know anything about it but I assume it's similar to most remote indigenous communities in north QLD where family is of the utmost importance to the residents. Having said that, I think Greenwool may have moved to Cairns at a pretty young age in order to join the AFL Cape York House program so he may not have as much of an issue living away from home as the article suggests. Either way, I'd like to see us finally tap into the pool of talented indigenous players who live in our academy zone and Fitzroy might just be the first one we draft.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Should Sam Day be worried about not getting an extension with Burgess and Corbett now being recruited and then add Ben king
He really needs to push for a spot. At most I can see him maybe only getting a 1 year extension as cover on not much coin. However, there may be a team that may offer him overs, for 2 or 3 years.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Should Sam Day be worried about not getting an extension with Burgess and Corbett now being recruited and then add Ben king
I don't think so , I would offer him 3 years deal if he is injuries free until end of the season , Graham , Ballard , lukosius , Ben King just not ready to play a full AFL season until they are 22 years old .

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I would take two mature age midfield /utility players in mid season draft.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Kwabye Boakye playing for Suns neafl this week , maybe he will be picked up as he is no longer Academy
Depend on ladder position , I prefer to take Burgess , Collins , Corbett type to give a bit of protection to kids like Graham , Ben king , geez McLennan playing in NEAFL .

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
P67 .. I was wondering how have Murdoch and GHS settled in.. do you see the benefit of these type in the side in front of some others.. like Brodie for example?
Sadly Murdoch and GHS not playing Brodie position . Brodie competition ( Florini, Miller , Swallow , miles ,Bowes , Ainsworth, Jack Martin,Rankine , McPherson, Holman, Young ) . GHS - Joyce , jeez mclennan ,Nutting ,Dawson , Murdoch - Ah Chee ,Weller , Powell ,heron

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Sadly Murdoch and GHS not playing Brodie position . Brodie competition ( Florini, Miller , Swallow , miles ,Bowes , Ainsworth, Jack Martin,Holman, Young ) . GHS - Joyce , jeez mclennan ,Nutting ,Dawson , Murdoch - Ah Chee ,Weller , Powell .

I was not specifically thinking Brodie alone.. I just saw you would like another couple of mature mids Ps ..and was wondering how guys like the ex Gee. players and Miles etc. how they had settled in contributed to club and team.. and how thats affected anyone else missing games.. (I see Brodie is almost back in this week)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was not specifically thinking Brodie alone.. I just saw you would like another couple of mature mids Ps ..and was wondering how guys like the ex Gee. players and Miles etc. how they had settled in contributed to club and team.. and how thats affected anyone else missing games.. (I see Brodie is almost back in this week)
For me they are just ideal replacement for Lyons , Hall ,Barlow, M Rischitelli, scrimshaw , KK.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think Horlin-Smith has had a great effect behind the scenes with the lads, already being in the elected to the leadership team by his peers, and would have played last week if not for a tight back.

Murdoch looks good when he runs and goes long. His short disposal seems suspect, but he has been serviceable. Will probably play majority of games this year.

Miles will probably play 22 games for us in the guts this year. Hard body who cracks in, happy we have ended up with him.

Hombsch another who has been vital with Thompson going down with a knee. Plays a role and has played well IMO.

Overall, I think these older lads have defiantly had a positive impact. Even if we only go on to win 5 games this season.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Keep Sam, give him two years on $250-300k. Someone else would snap him up if we didn't want him and he is great back up + a lovely bloke.

The average wage in the AFL is above that..
To keep a 200cm swingman like Day will cost more then that.

Someone like Saints or North might throw 400-500 at him

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

Front loaded the first two years and 200k for third years.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

Are we talking the average wage for a best 22 player or a NEAFL player?

$200k-$250k or he can leave for a better deal

On CPH1725 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Are we talking the average wage for a best 22 player or a NEAFL player?

$200k-$250k or he can leave for a better deal

On CPH1725 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sam stayed when others bailed, pay him fairly and make him a one club player. He deserves it, what sort of club do we want to be

Back