2018 Grand Finalists - West Coast vs Collingwood ##Optus Stadium Friday 12th July## Round 17, 2019 ( Edited page 15 current discussion )

Who wins the rematch of the 2018 Grand Final between the Black and White Army and the Eagles

• Collingwood - They'll be too hungry with an added chip on their shoulder - Blowout Victory

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • West Coast - Dom Sheed will have a blinder and break their hearts at the death again

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Pies in a close one

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Eagles to roll at the G winning comprehensively

Votes: 38 19.7%

• Total voters
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Pies never had a healthy list available until now, including both games last year with players injured mid game. #pieshadinjuries

Not that I fully subscribe to that as its a little insulting to the Eagles. That's the rhetoric though
Didn't WC lose Sheppard in the QF in the first quarter? Who did Collingwood lose that game and still got run over in 4th qtr?

Interesting that Varcoe has been dropped, he loves a big goal against us
Disappointing as I think Varcs has so much to offer with his style of play, but when you consider Adams' surprise entry I think what we have is the best possible team we could run out with.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Disappointing as I think Varcs has so much to offer with his style of play, but when you consider Adams' surprise entry I think what we have is the best possible team we could run out with.
Somebody had to get the flick. If it were up to me it would have been Aish but Varcoe was probably next in line.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Pies never had a healthy list available until now, including both games last year with players injured mid game. #pieshadinjuries

Not that I fully subscribe to that as its a little insulting to the Eagles. That's the rhetoric though
Yeah well gaff and nic nat, were season enders for us apparently - two aa’s

and shep is seriously the most underrated backman in the league.

I look at who you guys have coming back in this week - easy a top 3 backman - and with rance out you can say top two without an argument from many.

God i £¥(|<||\|6 love footy

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't believe how many people in the media are tipping us, especially in the Herald Sun "expert" tipping.

I reckon if WCE can move the ball the way they moved it in the second half against GWS, we're in trouble. We can't handle Kennedy on the lead at the best of times let alone when it's coming in that quick.

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't believe how many people in the media are tipping us, especially in the Herald Sun "expert" tipping.

I reckon if WCE can move the ball the way they moved it in the second half against GWS, we're in trouble. We can't handle Kennedy on the lead at the best of times let alone when it's coming in that quick.
And you can get up to $3 on eagles winning.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
All the indicators are Pies win. They probably need to, if they don't it will be 4 straight losses against West Coast including 3 at the G, which is heading into hoodoo territory.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
In 1990 in a game that would take the winner directly into the Grand Final Peter Sumich had a chance to win it for the Eagles with a shot after the siren.

Sumich missed the resulting kick and the game ended a tie. There was a replay the following week and West Coast lost the game by 10 goals.

In 1994 the WCE topped the ladder and faced Collingwood in the first week of the finals who finished the season in 8th place. WCE led by 24 points at 3qtr time but faced a last term onslaught led by Gavin Brown who kicked 4 last quarter goals. On the siren, Mick McGuane had the ball on his chest with a chance to win the game for the Maggies. He didn't complete the mark and the opportunity was lost. WCE survived by 2 points, had a week off with a home prelim and went on to become Premiers.

The next final was a 2007 semi where the Eagles lost narrowly the week before away to Port where they had injuries to Ben Cousins and Chris Judd. They would go into the game also missing Daniel Kerr who was a prominent player for the Big Birds. Collingwood bundled out Sydney who made the 2 previous Grand Finals winning one and losing one against WCE. The game went to extra time and the Eagles went goalless and lost by 19 points. Collingwood had eliminated the last two premiers of the comp and went on to face a rampant Geelong where they gave them an almighty shake. Fell short by 5 points.

2011 and the reigning champs Collingwood finished top of the table hosting WCE in the 1st qualifying final. The Eagles against expectations finished the season in 4th place after claiming their first ever wooden spoon in 2010. WCE fought gallantly but Collingwood led with a little cameo performance from Alex Fasolo held sway and came away with the win. The Pies would lose the Grand Final to Geelong after eclipsing the Hawks in a prelim thriller.

2012 and Collingwood hosted West Coast for the second successive season in an MCG final after losing the opening week to the Hawks. WCE thumped North at Subiaco by 16 goals and went into the game confident after falling short by under a kick in their regular season meeting at the G. The Eagles started the game brightly kicking the first 4 goals of the game and led at half time by 11 points. The Pies eventually clawed their way back into the contest and it was all to play for in the last. WCE had the lead and the ball but a costly error by Andrew Embley proved decisive as WCE had Collingwood on the counter. They coughed up the ball, and a goal, and eventually the game. Collingwood came away with a hard fought 13 point win setting up a prelim showdown at ANZ against Sydney.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
There's been a lot of absolute crackers between these two. I just want what I'm unlikely to have - an easy win for the pies.
Agreed. Some home and away games have been absolute beauties, not just the finals.

1992 - Pies win by a point in the wet at Subi coming from 31 points down. Either Troy Lehman or Paul Williams kicked the winning point with seconds to spare.
1994 - Unknown Tranquilli's 6 goals at the G
1995 - Jason Ball kicks the winner for the eagles at the death. 20 seconds to spare, Eagles erased a 20 point 3qtr time deficit.
2002 - Brodie Holland's 8 goals. Pies by a point.
2003 - Eagles kick 5 goals in as many minutes to start the game. Pies hit back to lead in the last, but lost.
2005 - Eagles 8-0 top pf the ladder to bottom placed Pies at the G. Maggies get up.
2006 - Ripper on a Saturday Night Subi Showdown.
2007 - Refer above.
2012 - Eagles choke
2014 - Eagles choke
2017 - Eagles choke

zhoung

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2009
vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
2005 - Eagles 8-0 top pf the ladder to bottom placed Pies at the G. Maggies get up.

I thought we were tanking in 2005 WTF!

upnsmoke

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Easiest way to limit the pain of a losing gf is to place a big bet on the other team pregame, wipe my tears away with some cash
yup win win

I would probably do that and bet 2 grand, I would not care much to lose that money if Pies win a flag... but if they lose... Atleast I double up or close to it money wise in my pocket

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pies were never going to lose the 2012 final, pretty sure it was just after John McCarthy's passing. They were on a mission that night and were emotionally spent the next week

Back