The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the same argument people come up with as to why music is so s**t now - “oh it’s just the mainstream you have to look for the good s**t yourself” etc etc. I don’t really buy it. Even if we take that argument as gospel, when did the mainstream in music and movies become so s**t? It never used to be that way...

$$$

Early congratulations buddy, sounds like an epic trip planned. Best of luck.
Thanks mate, appreciate the wishes.

Only been to NYC so everything else is gonna be great.

Helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon already booked, a trip to Muir woods, the Napa Valley and Alcatraz so far.

Going to be amazing.

Helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon already booked, a trip to Muir woods, the Napa Valley and Alcatraz so far.

Going to be amazing.

Sounds like a well planned trip, enjoy.

Alcatraz is always a highlight, makes me want to see The Rock again. Great movie.

Alcatraz is always a highlight, makes me want to see The Rock again. Great movie.
We were tossing up between day or night but ultimately went day. People said night adds to the atmosphere, but it's harder to see things and is ******* freezing even more so.

Going to be amazing.

Did the helicopter tour, you'll love it. You have to stand there while they weigh you so the helicopter is balanced correctly. I underestimated my weight by 10kg lol.

What do you make of those letters going around claiming to be from escapees? Sounds like bs to me.

San Fran is great, so much better than LA which is a bit of a dump Santa Monica / Beverley Hills aside.

We were tossing up between day or night but ultimately went day. People said night adds to the atmosphere, but it's harder to see things and is ******* freezing even more so.

Everyone goes on the top deck of the ferry on the way over.

Everyone goes on the inside on the way back ;)

When is that Loons and where?

Big weekend for me.

Wedding is Saturday and we fly out on our honeymoon Sunday. New chapter in life, not much will essentially change, but can't wait.

Land in San Fran, then Vegas, Chicago, Niagara, Boston, NYC for 3.5 weeks

Going to be amazing.
Congrats. It’s been a dream of mine to get to the US so I’m pretty envious reading that little snippet. Must be loving life at the mo mate

What do you make of those letters going around claiming to be from escapees? Sounds like bs to me.

San Fran is great, so much better than LA which is a bit of a dump Santa Monica / Beverley Hills aside.

Fun fact, I once stayed in Compton for 8 days. Now that was some serious s**t. Not a fan of LA otherwise however San Francisco is glorious. Beautiful city.

I’m not familiar though with these letters you refer to re: Alcatraz. What’s that about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun fact, I once stayed in Compton for 8 days. Now that was some serious s**t. Not a fan of LA otherwise however San Francisco is glorious. Beautiful city.

I’m not familiar though with these letters you refer to re: Alcatraz. What’s that about?

I think he’s referring to the 3 escapees, assumed to have drowned. There were letters claiming to be one or two of them who had survived

It’s always been about cash though. I think it’s more to do with society being dumbed down. There’s no way that what passes as the mainstream today would have gained mass acceptance 25+ years ago

I think he’s referring to the 3 escapees, assumed to have drowned. There were letters claiming to be one or two of them who had survived

Ok thank you, I haven’t read up about the letters. But it’s difficult to believe how someone could survive the swim to either San Fran or the Bay Area from Alcatraz (not saying it’s impossible, but very unlikely).

It’s always been about cash though. I think it’s more to do with society being dumbed down. There’s no way that what passes as the mainstream today would have gained mass acceptance 25+ years ago

Take a look at the early Beatles records..

Take a look at the early Beatles records..
Rock and Roll was in its infancy when the Beatles arrived on the scene. It wasn’t considered an art form but disposable music that would be forgotten about within months if not weeks. The artistic growth of the Beatles and other artists during the 60’s changed that outlook though.

Rock and Roll was in its infancy when the Beatles arrived on the scene. It wasn’t considered an art form but disposable music that would be forgotten about within months if not weeks. The artistic growth of the Beatles and other artists during the 60’s changed that outlook though.

Of course, just countering your suggestion that shallow lyrical quality and musical ability was still accepted by the mainstream. Yes they matured and developed, but some of their early tracks were pretty basic.

Of course, just countering your suggestion that shallow lyrical quality and musical ability was still accepted by the mainstream. Yes they matured and developed, but some of their early tracks were pretty basic.
Basic as in girl/boy stuff, but it was new so therefore exciting and that’s what carried it. The point is it grew into something that had a cultural impact which changed society. Popular music stopped having that potency a long time ago

Basic as in girl/boy stuff, but it was new so therefore exciting and that’s what carried it. The point is it grew into something that had a cultural impact which changed society. Popular music stopped having that potency a long time ago

In your opinion.

Tends to be the opinion of most people once they reach a certain age. The belief that the music or artistic influences that struck them as a child are the authority.

I've already said I agree that art is reaching a threshold, but that's not to say that things are not able to be created that challenge the soul.

In your opinion.

Tends to be the opinion of most people once they reach a certain age. The belief that the music or artistic influences that struck them as a child are the authority.

I've already said I agree that art is reaching a threshold, but that's not to say that things are not able to be created that challenge the soul.

A bit like everyone younger thinks older people are lame and they are cutting edge, as they re-hash styles of years gone by with a minimal twist. Everything is subjective and relative to the time around it.

In your opinion.

Not really, the music of my generation was the 80’s and 90’s not the 60’s, and the potency of it, particularly the 90’s was much less so. But yeah there is a bit of truth in what you say. I guess your time for absorbing and being shaped by the world around you was the early to mid 00’s? So what influences from that era do you now see as the golden standard?

I love 'Super hero' movies and hope they keep pumping them out.

I like a well made one, but do broadly agree that it’s a very saturated genre and at times I do get superhero movie fatigue.

The hard part is looking mostly just the trailer and trying decide if this one will be too good to miss or if it’ll just be alright.

A bit like everyone younger thinks older people are lame and they are cutting edge, as they re-hash styles of years gone by with a minimal twist. Everything is subjective and relative to the time around it.

Of course it is, that's my entire point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back