Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

How many times have you witnessed car drivers doing something illegal? And how many times have you taken down a numberplate and reported it to police? And if police do get such information, they tend to dismiss it without concrete evidence to back it up, The argument for putting numberplates on bicycles is basically non-existent and the cost is prohibitive.

How many times have you witnessed car drivers doing something illegal? And how many times have you taken down a numberplate and reported it to police? And if police do get such information, they tend to dismiss it without concrete evidence to back it up, The argument for putting numberplates on bicycles is basically non-existent and the cost is prohibitive.
* me. If someone smashes off a side mirror you don’t think the driver of the car that’s been damaged wouldn’t grab the rego details if the bike riders had one on their bike?

Sounds like you didn’t even watch the video.

**** me. If someone smashes off a side mirror you don’t think the driver of the car that’s been damaged wouldn’t grab the rego details if the bike riders had one on their bike?

Sounds like you didn’t even watch the video.
I did watch the video. That cyclist was a campaigner. But it's not even likely the driver would have been able to see a numberplate, let alone write down the details. Numberplates on bikes are not practical and just a reactionary response to seeing one incident. Funnily enough, if I post a picture of a s**t driver (and there's a lot more of them) and suggest some draconian measurement, you would argue that motorist doesn't represent you in any way,

I did watch the video. That cyclist was a campaigner. But it's not even likely the driver would have been able to see a numberplate, let alone write down the details. Numberplates on bikes are not practical and just a reactionary response to seeing one incident. Funnily enough, if I post a picture of a s**t driver (and there's a lot more of them) and suggest some draconian measurement, you would argue that motorist doesn't represent you in any way,
That’s the thing, drivers can be identified and traced back through registration. Bike riders should have to pay rego and have some form of identification for scenarios like this. What do you mean that they aren’t practical? Stick them on the front/back or both, it’s not hard.

That’s the thing, drivers can be identified and traced back through registration. Bike riders should have to pay rego and have some form of identification for scenarios like this. What do you mean that they aren’t practical? Stick them on the front/back or both, it’s not hard.

You're talking about 2 different things here.

The notion of cyclists paying rego is ridiculous - their impact on the roads we use is negligible, most already pay rego with their cars, and we should be encouraging active transport to take pressure off the roads.

Finding a good way for them to be identifiable is a much more reasonable discussion to be had. Whether such an indication method is available is probably the crux of the issue though - if there was a good way, there'd be a city in the world that already uses it. As far as I'm aware there isn't.

You're talking about 2 different things here.

The notion of cyclists paying rego is ridiculous - their impact on the roads we use is negligible, most already pay rego with their cars, and we should be encouraging active transport to take pressure off the roads.

Finding a good way for them to be identifiable is a much more reasonable discussion to be had. Whether such an indication method is available is probably the crux of the issue though - if there was a good way, there'd be a city in the world that already uses it. As far as I'm aware there isn't.
I’m on a roll because I quite frankly hate the road toads. If they are going to ride two abreast on the road and hold traffic up while moving at considerable amounts under the speed limit, the least they can do is pay rego.

Also it’s really not rocket science to make them identifiable. Put a number plate on the back of the bike, make a bracket up that comes off the seat, it’s really not hard.

I’m on a roll because I quite frankly hate the road toads. If they are going to ride two abreast on the road and hold traffic up while moving at considerable amounts under the speed limit, the least they can do is pay rego.

Also it’s really not rocket science to make them identifiable. Put a number plate on the back of the bike, make a bracket up that comes off the seat, it’s really not hard.
Registration of bicycles is genuinely idiotic and has been discussed previously. The cost of implementing it would be substantially more than the money raised. It would be a waste of taxpayer dollars in the tens or hundreds of millions. Are you going to register Little Johnny’s tricycle? Likewise, the cost of implementing a number plate system (effectively registration) for no practical benefits would be ridiculous. A more worthwhile use of the money would be educating ignorant motorists not to treat them like they are anything less than a valid road user.

Registration of bicycles is genuinely idiotic and has been discussed previously. The cost of implementing it would be substantially more than the money raised. It would be a waste of taxpayer dollars in the tens or hundreds of millions. Are you going to register Little Johnny’s tricycle? Likewise, the cost of implementing a number plate system (effectively registration) for no practical benefits would be ridiculous. A more worthwhile use of the money would be educating ignorant motorists not to treat them like they are anything less than a valid road user.
They aren’t a valid road user, they can’t do anywhere near the ******* speed limit.

* me, I’m going to stop here before I get myself suspended, it’s like talking to a brick wall.

They aren’t a valid road user, they can’t do anywhere near the ******* speed limit.

**** me, I’m going to stop here before I get myself suspended, it’s like talking to a brick wall.
You might want to read up on the road rules. Bikes have every right to be on the roads. If they didn’t, cops would be picking them up left and right. If you want to know the cause of most issues between motorists and cyclists, you might wanna check your sense of entitlement to the roads. They are not yours alone.

You might want to read up on the road rules. Bikes have every right to be in the roads. If they didn’t, cops would be picking them up left and right. If you want to know the cause of most issues between motorists and cyclists, you might wanna check your sense of entitlement to the roads. They are not yours alone.
I know the road rules and it’s ******* stupid that 2 ‘non motorised vehicles’ sitting 2 abreast can legally be compared to a vehicle and do 20km in a 60+ zone and hold up traffic. Motorised vehicle drivers can get fined for sitting under the speed limit, so fine the pushbikes, oh wait you can’t because they aren’t ******* registered.

The best part is when they bitch and whinge that people are overtaking too close to them, well heres an idea - get your slow piece of s**t bicycle off the road and that won’t be a drama!

Pay rego is thrown about a lot by anti cyclists. Even if it was introduced, the anti cyclist brigade will find a way to berate cyclists. Rego is just a throw away thing to say In argument against cyclists. It’s like someone came up with the idea (pay rego) and everyone nods like a bunch of seals.

Like when Neil Mitchell said people hate adam goodes because he tells people what to do. A convenient reason that people used against Adam, hiding other reasons

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the road rules and it’s ******* stupid that 2 ‘non motorised vehicles’ sitting 2 abreast can legally be compared to a vehicle and do 20km in a 60+ zone and hold up traffic. Motorised vehicle drivers can get fined for sitting under the speed limit, so fine the pushbikes, oh wait you can’t because they aren’t ******* registered.

The best part is when they bitch and whinge that people are overtaking too close to them, well heres an idea - get your slow piece of s**t bicycle off the road and that won’t be a drama!

Where do you propose they ride?

I understand your position. But posting on an Internet forum isn’t stopping cyclists. The only way is to side swipe them when you see them.

Where do you propose they ride?

I understand your position. But posting on an Internet forum isn’t stopping cyclists. The only way is to side swipe them when you see them.
Allows me to vent my anger, the only other slight satisfaction I get is when I get around them and leave a soot cloud in their direction. If the *ers actually rode to the left hand side of the lane so that people could get past them I’d have no drama, it’s when the twits literally have 20+ cars behind them and they continue to pedal their hearts out at 40km+ under the limit.

Pay rego is thrown about a lot by anti cyclists. Even if it was introduced, the anti cyclist brigade will find a way to berate cyclists. Rego is just a throw away thing to say In argument against cyclists. It’s like someone came up with the idea (pay rego) and everyone nods like a bunch of seals.

Like when Neil Mitchell said people hate adam goodes because he tells people what to do. A convenient reason that people used against Adam, hiding other reasons

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Vehicle registration is based on cylinder groups and vehicle weight. If one were to actually try to charge rego for bikes, the cost of building and maintaining the database for millions of bicycles would dwarf any money coming in. If someone proposes this argument, it’s a fair sign they don’t understand the situation at all.

Motorists complaining about cyclists slowing them down, particularly in the city, had to be the most idiotic argument ever. Each cyclist is one less vehicle on the road. Take them off the road and congestion gets worse and everyone gets slowed down, guaranteed. The 10 seconds it takes to safely pass a cyclist doesn’t change that calculation at all.

I wish the loudest critics were just honest. They see a cyclist slip through some lights while they are stuck and get furious. Never mind their journey probably took longer. Never mind if they were in a car, it would simply delay them further. They are suffering and they want others to suffer equally. It’s a really base emotion.

Allows me to vent my anger, the only other slight satisfaction I get is when I get around them and leave a soot cloud in their direction. If the ******s actually rode to the left hand side of the lane so that people could get past them I’d have no drama, it’s when the twits literally have 20+ cars behind them and they continue to pedal their hearts out at 40km+ under the limit.

Fair enough, forums are a good place to rant. If it helps then all the better. I do still call upon angry motorists to not really assault cyclists, but if they kinda swerve across a cyclist who then falls over, well it’s one less to worry about.

When they do over 60kms in a 60 zone they are berated. However when a motorist does the same it’s a simple shrug of the shoulders.

I think it’s worthwhile that all motorists ride a bike for a week including weekends. It puts things into perspective.

Fair enough, forums are a good place to rant. If it helps then all the better. I do still call upon angry motorists to not really assault cyclists, but if they kinda swerve across a cyclist who then falls over, well it’s one less to worry about.

When they do over 60kms in a 60 zone they are berated. However when a motorist does the same it’s a simple shrug of the shoulders.

I think it’s worthwhile that all motorists ride a bike for a week including weekends. It puts things into perspective.
It’s their choice to ride a bike on the roads though, it’s their choice to block up the roads and cause traffic, it’s their choice to not obey the road rules while not paying rego or the like. I don’t ride a bike for the pure sake that in my opinion it’s not an adequate form of transport on our roads. If there was a bike lane on every single road that keeps them out of the way of motorists then go for gold, but that isn’t the case. The argument doesn’t work for ‘they pay rego with their car though’ as having two cars doesn’t mean you pay one rego, both require it. If you’re going to share the road then you should be made accountable for any road rule breakages that you make (ignoring traffic lights, severely undershooting speed limits, etc).

On the motorists speeding side of things I don’t agree, as many know I drive to the conditions I’m comfortable with (I.e generally speeding) - if I get caught though I’ll be held accountable due to having registration to identify me and putting myself in that situation. Road toads have nothing like that to even consider because they get away with it all.

It’s their choice to ride a bike on the roads though, it’s their choice to block up the roads and cause traffic, it’s their choice to not obey the road rules while not paying rego or the like. I don’t ride a bike for the pure sake that in my opinion it’s not an adequate form of transport on our roads. If there was a bike lane on every single road that keeps them out of the way of motorists then go for gold, but that isn’t the case. The argument doesn’t work for ‘they pay rego with their car though’ as having two cars doesn’t mean you pay one rego, both require it. If you’re going to share the road then you should be made accountable for any road rule breakages that you make (ignoring traffic lights, severely undershooting speed limits, etc).

On the motorists speeding side of things I don’t agree, as many know I drive to the conditions I’m comfortable with (I.e generally speeding) - if I get caught though I’ll be held accountable due to having registration to identify me and putting myself in that situation. Road toads have nothing like that to even consider because they get away with it all.

Bike lanes are interesting. It keeps bikes and cars separated however some motorists still complain. So bike lanes are not the answer.

Bike lanes are interesting. It keeps bikes and cars separated however some motorists still complain. So bike lanes are not the answer.
I’m yet to see someone complain about a bike lane situation unless the rider is ignoring road rules at the set of lights it’s leading into.

I’m yet to see someone complain about a bike lane situation unless the rider is ignoring road rules at the set of lights it’s leading into.

Plenty have. The common theme is that it takes up space that could be used for us drivers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back