Rumour Local club denying Rowe clearance to Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Jezza_21

Debutant
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The rumour I've heard today is a suburban footy club is denying a clearance for Sam Rowe to play for St Kilda unless the Saints pay $100K as compensation for Rowe not being able to play local footy. The whisper is Saints hierarchy has even called the club trying to get the clearance through and was met with blunt resistance.

Rowe hasn't been named for Sandringham's Round 1 match tonight and he's not listed on the Saints' official injury list.

The rumour I've heard today is a suburban footy club is denying a clearance for Sam Rowe to play for St Kilda unless the Saints pay $100K as compensation for Rowe not being able to play local footy. The whisper is Saints hierarchy has even called the club trying to get the clearance through and was met with blunt resistance.

Rowe hasn't been named for Sandringham's Round 1 match tonight and he's not listed on the Saints' official injury list.
Gee whiz, does St Kilda even have a spare $100,000?

President was on SEN a couple of weeks ago. Wanted 200k compensation. Apparently Rowe promised them he was going to kick 100 goals..

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wonder how Sam Rowe feels about this?

Would he even get a game for the Saints this year? Plus he's probably earning close to as much as he'll earn for the saints playing amateur footy and it's not like he hasn't experienced playing AFL.

Isn't there standardised rules about the fee AFL clubs pay for drafted players anyway?

Isn't there standardised rules about the fee AFL clubs pay for drafted players anyway?

there was but its not clear

for example the WAFL clubs lost that money to the WAFC. so it sounds like it's not strictly adhered too. plus rowe didnt exactly play a game for them did he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there was but its not clear

for example the WAFL clubs lost that money to the WAFC. so it sounds like it's not strictly adhered too. plus rowe didnt exactly play a game for them did he?

The WAFC funds all WAFL colts footy under the new system, so that's why they get the money now.

I presume for mature age recruits the money still goes to the WAFL clubs though?

The WAFC funds all WAFL colts footy under the new system, so that's why they get the money now.

I presume for mature age recruits the money still goes to the WAFL clubs though?

i don't think they did, when the clubs were whinging about it. apparently the cash was redirected into the WAFL marketing budget

Their president is an absolute flog at Doncaster East!
Have met the ED president a few times and seems like a good guy. Why shouldn't Saints pay up? The club has been disadvantaged greatly by this. If they don't wanna pay, then find someone else

Wonder how Rowe feels about it though

Have met the ED president a few times and seems like a good guy. Why shouldn't Saints pay up? The club has been disadvantaged greatly by this. If they don't wanna pay, then find someone else

Wonder how Rowe feels about it though
Do you honestly think it's right for a club to hold a player's job hostage like this? This isn't even a match payment issue across the same league, its a contracted job they are denying and could land in court over.

Do you honestly think it's right for a club to hold a player's job hostage like this? This isn't even a match payment issue across the same league, its a contracted job they are denying and could land in court over.
The last thing the AFL would want is to have the whole player transfer system see the inside of a court room.

It's bizarre that a local club has any sway in this matter whatsoever.

You'd be an idiot as a delisted AFL player to ever go play at Doncaster East now, wouldn't you?

Player who has had a couple of shots at AFL level and been delisted, puts himself up for the draft and gets no interest, and they're offering the best money...why wouldn't you?

We're not talking some draftee here...St Kilda tapped him late in the process for injury cover, long after clubs would have settled their lists and thus a replacement would be near impossible to get at that point. Losing their big money star would probably ruin their season.

Sucks for the player to be refused like that, but if I was part of the club, I'd be looking for some serious compensation for that.

i don't think they did, when the clubs were whinging about it. apparently the cash was redirected into the WAFL marketing budget

This post is a bit ambiguous. Are you implying the WAFC don't pay for the colts system now or that WAFL clubs don't receive AFL money for mature age draftees?

Exactly. The player has a contract with the local club. In order to break said contract, he needs the club to agree, and they want to be compensated for the loss.

Exactly. The player has a contract with the local club. In order to break said contract, he needs the club to agree, and they want to be compensated for the loss.
It’s unreasonable. They’re a second division local club that is by far the best team within their comp. If they are really preventing Rowe a chance at the highest level over some money, it’s a blatant cash grab to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back