Commentators who don't know the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Every week we get commentators on national television blurting out their own incorrect interpretation of rules.

It feeds misinformation to the public and doesn't serve the game.

I can imagine that commentators are invited to rule change seminars and the like, or have some type of PD sessions run for them in house but I can also equally imagine that BT, Lingy and co are absent from those sessions or otherwise balls deep in each other throughout.

Its a disgrace. How many years jail for each offence ?

Every week we get commentators on national television blurting out their own incorrect interpretation of rules.

It feeds misinformation to the public and doesn't serve the game.

I can imagine that commentators are invited to rule change seminars and the like, or have some type of PD sessions run for them in house but I can also equally imagine that BT, Lingy and co are absent from those sessions or otherwise balls deep in each other throughout.

Its a disgrace. How many years jail for each offence ?
Couldn’t give a s**t about the thread. Just gave you a like for the balls deep comment.

Would love each broadcast team to have an "umpire liaison" in the back of the box but the concern would be his willingness to say when an ump got it wrong. Perhaps a former umpire who is up with the rules still as opposed to one on the umpiring department's payroll.
They sit in back and the commentators can check if he thinks a rule was applied correctly instead of deciding themselves depending on what will cause the most outcry. Perhaps even just for JLT to give the commentators a refresher but that won't help the muppets on 7.

Would love each broadcast team to have an "umpire liaison" in the back of the box but the concern would be his willingness to say when an ump got it wrong. Perhaps a former umpire who is up with the rules still as opposed to one on the umpiring department's payroll.
They sit in back and the commentators can check if he thinks a rule was applied correctly instead of deciding themselves depending on what will cause the most outcry. Perhaps even just for JLT to give the commentators a refresher but that won't help the muppets on 7.

It needs to be an umpire who is shut out from the game, ostracized... maybe due to a serious particular incident. A guy with a chip on his shoulder and a drinking problem. A guy willing to put the boot into the umpiring fraternity that he once loved but which rejected him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back