Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Tom McCartin.jpg

Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
He's the kind of player you have to find a place for in your 22 I think. Whether as a forward or defender, he gives such consistent and strong effort in the air and on the ground as a really young player and he should only get better as he ages and gets stronger.

Very encouraging display.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
He's the kind of player you have to find a place for in your 22 I think. Whether as a forward or defender, he gives such consistent and strong effort in the air and on the ground as a really young player and he should only get better as he ages and gets stronger.

Very encouraging display.
I totally agree 120, kid tries his guts out and impacts play.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought he was pretty reasonable today..however its dangerous him playing down back. He is extremely slow to make a decision with the ball and that is dangerous for a defender. Of coarse that will come with age and experience but just where is at this stage of his career

Thought he was pretty reasonable today..however its dangerous him playing down back. He is extremely slow to make a decision with the ball and that is dangerous for a defender. Of coarse that will come with age and experience but just where is at this stage of his career
Can't say as I agree there SS, I thought he took to his new position brilliantly, he really is a natural footballer.
Say what you like about Beetson and our lack of success with high draft picks but boy, can he nail the speculative ones! I'm certain if McCartin had waited the year to nominate for last season's draft he would have gone too high for us to have been able to nab him.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Can't say as I agree there SS, I thought he took to his new position brilliantly, he really is a natural footballer.
Say what you like about Beetson and our lack of success with high draft picks but boy, can he nail the speculative ones! I'm certain if McCartin had waited the year to nominate for last season's draft he would have gone too high for us to have been able to nab him.
Agree he played an excellent game..but i think there are some issues may get exploited if he plays defence against a good team.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Hurley is no slouch either and he beat him convincingly

Hurley had 21 disposals (100%!), 11 Marks, 9 rebounds. Tommy had 7 disposals, 5 Marks and kicked 1.1.

Not sure I would call that a convincing win to Tom, no disrespect to him intended, not say he didn’t play well, he did...

Huge fan of this kid, seems to impact each contest he is a part of.

Certainly though if Reid puts in a similar performance people are far less kind... comes with being a kid I suppose and having less expectation...

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Hurley had 21 disposals (100%!), 11 Marks, 9 rebounds. Tommy had 7 disposals, 5 Marks and kicked 1.1.

Not sure I would call that a convincing win to Tom, no disrespect to him intended, not say he didn’t play well, he did...

Certainly though if Reid puts in a similar performance people are far less kind... comes with being a kid I suppose and having less expectation...
That's because Tmac has played ~ 20 and Reid has played well over 100. Tmac seems to be improving every week while Reid has stagnated if not gone backwards the last 3-4 years

In the Air I meant

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
That's because Tmac has played ~ 20 and Reid has played well over 100. Tmac seems to be improving every week while Reid has stagnated if not gone backwards the last 3-4 years

Of course I understand that. He is extremely promising, I am a big big fan. Kid is a gun.

He was impactful and I was impressed.

What you’re suggesting though is that his performance, if experienced like Reid, wouldn’t have been good enough. See I don’t necessarily agree with that either. Not everything is measured in statistics and both he and Reid were impactful for us last night whilst both still had fairly low stats.

Reid started off getting this kind of kudos and then didn’t meet the ceiling many thought he had and therefore he isn’t measured against his performance imo but what people expected him to become (and his frustrating body!!).

Back