2018 Grand Finalists - West Coast vs Collingwood ##Optus Stadium Friday 12th July## Round 17, 2019 ( Edited page 15 current discussion )

Who wins the rematch of the 2018 Grand Final between the Black and White Army and the Eagles

• Collingwood - They'll be too hungry with an added chip on their shoulder - Blowout Victory

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • West Coast - Dom Sheed will have a blinder and break their hearts at the death again

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Pies in a close one

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Eagles to roll at the G winning comprehensively

Votes: 38 19.7%

• Total voters

Art OF war

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast's strengths counter every one of our strengths and that's why we're 0/4 in the last 15 or 20 games against you. We've very good in the air across the ground, but West Coast are better in the air. We play slow, patient footy and wait out our opposition, but West Coast close space and apply the pressure needed to force a turn over. Our forwards are potent in one-on-one contests, but West Coast's defenders are the best at one-on-one contests. Like Geelong, West Coast just strangle us by closing in on space whenever Collingwood have the footy. What we're better at than West Coast is running and quick transition, but if the Eagles close out our space going forward, we're forced to resort to kick to kick where the Eagles dominate aerially. Simply put if Collingwood are to put in a bid for the premiership, they're going to have to waddle around West Coast because I can't see things changing.

There's no getting around that back line. I don't know how Brisbane did it but I bet if the two sides played again, they wouldn't go that well next time around.

I consider West Coast's forward line not vulnerable, but beatable. Our defenders let Kennedy, Darling and Allen kick a combined five goals, and the resting Hickey slotted one too. It was Cripps and Sheed who murdered us. Cripps took Maynard, who has uncharacteristically struggled to contain his man this season, to the cleaners and Sheed's influence up forward was a result of our midfielders being lazy and refusing to get back and man up.

The midfields probably had an even battle last night. Collingwood's midfielders need to learn to get their hands dirty and quickly or else we're in big trouble. We're crying out for an in and under midfielder like Sier to combine with Adams and Treloar to provide the ball to Beams, Sidebottom and co. Watching so many talented midfielders concede so many centre clearances is a nightmare.

Our forwards are good in one-on-one contests but are all useless in pack situations, which Beams and a few others are yet to pick up on because frequently they kick long and high and it never gets marked. De Goey is the only forward doing what is required right now, the others are struggling with the delivery (Mihocek, Cox), with beating their men who don't give space (Elliott), or are completely lost with their changed roles (Thomas, Stephenson).
That’s great insight.

Eaglespur

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Lol

I firmly believe why west coast beat pies

Our big backline is better than pies
Our forwards are better too

The midfields are very evenly matched but west coast bookends are much better

Degoey is 6ft ....he cant lead up the ground like Kennedy or darling does
Not that I really care, but Degoey is 6ft2

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
West Coast's strengths counter every one of our strengths and that's why we're 0/4 in the last 15 or 20 games against you. We've very good in the air across the ground, but West Coast are better in the air. We play slow, patient footy and wait out our opposition, but West Coast close space and apply the pressure needed to force a turn over. Our forwards are potent in one-on-one contests, but West Coast's defenders are the best at one-on-one contests. Like Geelong, West Coast just strangle us by closing in on space whenever Collingwood have the footy. What we're better at than West Coast is running and quick transition, but if the Eagles close out our space going forward, we're forced to resort to kick to kick where the Eagles dominate aerially. Simply put if Collingwood are to put in a bid for the premiership, they're going to have to waddle around West Coast because I can't see things changing.

There's no getting around that back line. I don't know how Brisbane did it but I bet if the two sides played again, they wouldn't go that well next time around.

I consider West Coast's forward line not vulnerable, but beatable. Our defenders let Kennedy, Darling and Allen kick a combined five goals, and the resting Hickey slotted one too. It was Cripps and Sheed who murdered us. Cripps took Maynard, who has uncharacteristically struggled to contain his man this season, to the cleaners and Sheed's influence up forward was a result of our midfielders being lazy and refusing to get back and man up.

The midfields probably had an even battle last night. Collingwood's midfielders need to learn to get their hands dirty and quickly or else we're in big trouble. We're crying out for an in and under midfielder like Sier to combine with Adams and Treloar to provide the ball to Beams, Sidebottom and co. Watching so many talented midfielders concede so many centre clearances is a nightmare.

Our forwards are good in one-on-one contests but are all useless in pack situations, which Beams and a few others are yet to pick up on because frequently they kick long and high and it never gets marked. De Goey is the only forward doing what is required right now, the others are struggling with the delivery (Mihocek, Cox), with beating their men who don't give space (Elliott), or are completely lost with their changed roles (Thomas, Stephenson).
Good summary.

West coasts 2 key forwards in Kennedy and Darling are more dangerous than mihocek and Cox though Pies have the sharper support to their big men in DeGoey and Elliott.

Defence wise west coasts back 6 is settled and is excellent. Its the difference.

Another further advantage is that eagles have a genuine stopper in Hutchins- did a job Coniglio last week and Pendles last night. Greenwood is someone who can play that role but not as good as Hutchins

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Eagles Back line tremendous. Barrass, Duggan, Cole, Sheppard as well as the Captain and Super-Gov, one of the best back lines around for years.

Big Boy Darling did go missing last night again though. He couldn't get near it.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Poor collingwood seem to always get this one team they can't seem to beat when they are playing well. Just like Brisbane in 2002/03. West Coast just have too many great players and play so good as team. Imo only injuries are going to stop them going back to back. If they host their finals I can't see anyone else beating them.
I still find we are bit sloppy in decision making, some of the players are yet to gel. Also a few new faces Oscar Allen, Jack Petrcellue etc.

Kept saying throughout the game, if we simply just laid smothers, bumps and blocked off most of the cheap crumbing exits from contests (and actually been front and centre or at the fall of the ball) would've easily stopped 6 goals. Didn't see much of it necessarily in the GF but this especially pissed me off in the QF.

Anyway, ships still sailing and it's a long season ahead. Great to have two cracks at playing West Coast to see how we're tracking throughout the season.

mehow2g

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we look better than 2018. Or maybe im just biased.
Nope, this side didn't peak last year, this is the strongest team I've seen since Hawks premiership run, if they keep their heads screwed on there will be more flags.

Like all the great teams they know they can do whatever ever they want at the moment, some players are only now just realising how good they can be, Cripps, Sheppard and Shuey free playing their best right now.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagles Back line tremendous. Barrass, Duggan, Cole, Sheppard as well as the Captain and Super-Gov, one of the best back lines around for years.

Big Boy Darling did go missing last night again though. He couldn't get near it.
Darling was not the best, but he will get better, yes the back 6 is incredible they read the play so well.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Not that I really care, but Degoey is 6ft2

Ok 👌 and he’s awesome but not many teams will win a flag with your key forward only being that height

Cox will improve I’m sure but he’s easy to move off the ball .....cannot really chase and if ten ball hits the deck he’s not that useful ...Shep and Barras were able to get to the top of his hands and lunch the ball too ....so despite being 7 foot he’s beatable

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast

Good post and analysis
My concern for you guys is your forward line is based on degoey

He’s 6ft 2 ...Miohcek is handy but not going to be a star

I agree with your coach he simply said west coast outgrunted pies ....

Shuey, yep and even gaff win a lot of contested ball ...even sheed wins some contested ball

I think our backline is bloody good.....and it will beat Pies Forward’s 8 times outa 10 as it’s stands right now

I would like to see Buckley occsionallyntry something different ...throw Darcy Moore forward or Howe ...both can play forward at times. It was a ripping game of footy to watch ....finals like

Good luck next week v dogs 🐶

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Great game but sheesh, umpiring has been pretty average this year.

For mine blame the Rule makers ...we keep changing the rules ...leave the game alone

However I’m a fan of 6-6-6

No hands in the back to now allowing contact ....change I wasn’t a fan of because you had to leap last year now you can use your body more ...means less high marks

But geez why are we talking about Ryan’s tap back darling and goal

Sheeds three goals and 24 touches.....there is so much good stuff in footy why do we focus on the one or two negatives

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
21 scoring shots from 42 inside 50s.

Yeah, nah.
scoring wasn’t a problem but you could of used somebody to bring the ball to ground imo. As well contained JD,JK and Allen where they still clunked marks and brought the ball to ground to our smalls

Takes place in round 3, Saturday night at the G. The mighty Magpies host the West Coast Eagles in a rematch of the epic encounter produced on that famous final Saturday in September last year. Footy season hasn't even started yet. Hell, pre-season or AFL X hasn't even started yet. But I know this much, Collingwood will come out guns blazing and will be gunning for blood. Like a hungry, ferocious Lion roaming the jungle the Pies will be looking to make a statement and a statement they'll make indeed. West Coast will have no answer for the Magpies who will be roaring to go after marking down this fixture on their AFL calendar, keen to make amends for that bitter defeat as the Eagles snatched the Cup from their grasp.

West Coast will get torched. Book mark it. This will be one of many warnings the Black and White's dish out to their opponents in season 2019.

Collingwood will win the Premiership.
West Coast I take my hat off to you. Gutsy win. ******* tough as nails. Not easy facing a team who was hell bent on revenge. After another shaky start, Collingwood had no answer to the Eagles and Adam Simpson's multiple game plan.

Brilliant.

More short sighted than Stevie Wonder.

I wonder what you gain from your constant flip-flopping. When we next have a heavy loss I bet you will post a new thread writing us off as premiership threats.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pies do lack a key forward

Degoey is awesome but he’s 6ft 1 at best
We’ve got a very good forward line. That ain’t the issue. As mentioned, we scored 50% of the time we took it inside 50, that’s a very good conversion, especially against one of the best, if not the best, defence in the league.

What’s the use of a key forward if the midfield isn’t going to beat the other team’s midfield and deliver inside 50 more?

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
scoring wasn’t a problem but you could of used somebody to bring the ball to ground imo. As well contained JD,JK and Allen where they still clunked marks and brought the ball to ground to our smalls
In our defence, they were plucking the 50/50 marks yesterday. It was all down to the Collingwood midfield not working as hard/wanting it as much as the WCE midfield ala the GF.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
In our defence, they were plucking the 50/50 marks yesterday. It was all down to the Collingwood midfield not working as hard/wanting it as much as the WCE midfield ala the GF.
Agreed there your midfield is awesome they just need to work on there stoppage setups and defensive side. Once that clicks properly I reckon you will be very hard to beat

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
More short sighted than Stevie Wonder.

I wonder what you gain from your constant flip-flopping. When we next have a heavy loss I bet you will post a new thread writing us off as premiership threats.

Whooo. He was cocky and confident before the game and then said well played after the game.

That's not flip flopping, its supporting your team and then after the game being a good sport and saying well done you played better than us.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Pretty good analysis - dad and i were discussing the game and came to similar conclusions.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
We’ve got a very good forward line. That ain’t the issue. As mentioned, we scored 50% of the time we took it inside 50, that’s a very good conversion, especially against one of the best, if not the best, defence in the league.

What’s the use of a key forward if the midfield isn’t going to beat the other team’s midfield and deliver inside 50 more?

It’s small ..your forward line is too short ...a lot of your goals came from individual bits of brilliance not from simple team footy

....and it gets monstered by Barras gov ...Shep was outstanding on degoey ....

As good as degoey is he’s a one man band ....cox is a liability if the ball hits the ground

I still think you lack a key big forward.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
It’s small ..your forward line is too short ...a lot of your goals came from individual bits of brilliance not from simple team footy

....and it gets monstered by Barras gov ...Shep was outstanding on degoey ....

As good as degoey is he’s a one man band ....cox is a liability if the ball hits the ground

I still think you lack a key big forward.
Pies kept having to rob peter to pay paul with degoey up the ground

F#%^ hes good but - just love him to bits - sooooo good to watch. That game he had against tiges last year was absolutely hair raising - spent the whole week absolutely shitting our pants about what he was going to do to us without shep.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Pies kept having to rob peter to pay paul with degoey up the ground

F#%^ hes good but - just love him to bits - sooooo good to watch. That game he had against tiges last year was absolutely hair raising - spent the whole week absolutely shitting our pants about what he was going to do to us without shep.

I agree ...he’s so good but he makes the other pies forwards look second rate

I was too

Hey mate I haven’t been on big footy for about 5 months ...by choice ...life stuff happened to family and went into complelete shut down mode ...it’s good to be back discussing footy

Degoey is brilliant but geez if he got injured where would they be?

Shep did pretty well on him last night

Whooo. He was cocky and confident before the game and then said well played after the game.

That's not lip flopping, its supporting your team and then after the game being a good sport and saying well done you played better than us.

This is not a once off. He created dozens of threads like this last year too.

Back