Review Lackluster Dogs Lose To The Suns, Rd 3, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we got close, but we didn't deserve the win one bit.

Only positives were Macrae, Naughton, Daniel and Smith in parts. Everyone else was utterly abysmal.

English has an absolute shocker, completely and utterly useless in tapouts and around the ground work today. Everyone who insulted me for saying Trengove should be our #1 ruck can get stuffed and suck it.
Hunter - Whenever he's kicking inside 50, you just know he won't hit a target.
Dunkley - Does a lot of things well, but is it too much to ask for his kicking to be above auskick level?
Easton Wood - He is finished. No player from our Premiership team has gone backwards more than Wood. Once one of the best interceptors in the game, now fumbles everything, misses easy tackles and has the turning circle of a bus.
Richards - Second year blues. Not having an impact this year.
Bontempelli - Gone from one of the best kicks at goal to Levi Casboult tier. I don't want to bag him too much because his around the ground work was mostly good, but it's beyond frustrating seeing a once super reliable shot wasting so many opportunities.
Schache - Missing.
Gowers, Lloyd and Dickson - Putrid today. Gowers took some nice marks, but he just doesn't have the killer instinct in open play.

Wow that was hard to watch. Turning back the clock to last year with the poor forward entries and terrible goal kicking

Forget Billy. Bont needs to do some f@#$%ng set shot pracitse.
Yep he's getting 0 Ching votes from me

Butchered it all day, he kicks straight we probably win

First quarter won the game for Gold Coast in the end and their ability to respond to the challenge every time aside from at the end when they were hanging on.

Cannot simply chase all day every week, we need to start games better and whenever they get a roll on, simply slow the game down. Poor goalkicking finally costs us a game, it was coming.

Not good enough

Now to a 5 day break and an angry Pies side awaits. Will get absolutely thumped if we don't fix up skills and decision making.

4 dropped points and potentially very very costly late in the season

2015-16 we lost round 3 also, can we actually bank it one of these years to start 3-0?

The trend of our 4th quarters goes a bit both ways. They're clearly confident and it doesn't take much to spark momentum for us in the 4th. Really just one or two goals and we're up and about believing we can win. And I think other teams are going to get a bit nervous in 4th quarters against us.

On the other hand it just means we're being too poor early. Turnovers still killing us. Almost did us in last week and did us in this time. Our stacked midfield lets us do well from clearances - and the 6-6-6 helps us there - but when that rule isn't in play, and the game gets congested, we have a couple of players who get a bit too keen to whack it on the boot with no thoughts paid to where the ball's going. Then we get burned going the other way. Also had a couple of really poor efforts where turnovers even in or near our goalsquare became end to end goals for the Suns.

Anyway, Caleb keeps up his efforts and he probably gets the b&f this season. Been our best across 3 games so far. Did everything he possibly could in the 4th to try and get us the win.

Name five blokes who can hold their heads high after that mess?
I can think of three, Daniel, Smith and Libba. That’s it.

Poor goal kicking, fumbles, slow start and sheer idiocy on the field and at the selection committee.

Fully expecting 1 change next week for a potentially injured Bont.

i disagree a bit with the thread title. we definitely weren't "on" and didn't have things rolling, but GC deserved a win where for the most part, we were working our butts off. Credit to them. They played a low turnover style where they really made us earn everything. For a while they had the edge on us in the contest and they capitalised better.

Stacks of positives despite the loss.

Jacko, Libba and Bont did eventually take control of the physical contest and we looked to hold sway for the majority of the final term.

The switch of Daniel up field was a good move by Bevo. Just got him into a game where he was struggling to have his influence. I've said it here before, he is going to draw a lot of attention because he's critical to our style.

Suckling was brilliant i thought.

Lewis Young settled into the game very nicely as a high ball protector and wasn't too clever with the ball and hasn't been the last two weeks either. Just taking the easy option which makes him a solid KPD.

Naughton's marking gave us a chance in that game. He didn't have an easy one out there but he built a solid performance.

The two biggest reasons we lost were ... 1, Our ground ball connectivity in the forward line is a work in progress. I think the right blokes are there but it didn't work and credit to gold coast they put on great physical pressure and inferred pressure by spreading so quickly. 2, the couple contested marks we conceded in the first quarter before we settled into the contests were poor concessions in my opinion.

I don't want to dwell too much on the negative, not why i watch footy, but I thought Sam Lloyd's contest was very poor. I thought Crozier started last year a bit soft too so that could build with the year. It all looked a bit much for him in today's game. The other thing was i think despite his nice goal, Dunkley simply didn't play his instrument today. I don't care about his meaningless easy touches. He's 190cm and can run all day. He should be physically imposing himself on the contest or make way for a better ball user.

It's almost like we arrived at Midnight Mass on Christmas late and couldn't get a seat until the last hymn was started. Or something like that.

Was waiting for this old chestnut.
After quarter time - where Bev can actually enact a lot of changes, he coached in a way to get us back into the game.

We played like s**t and wasted opportunities. Bev was not "out coached"

Lol if you think that you have no idea how to watch footy

Tell me why we continued to bomb the ball long into a taller team that had a plus two all day? They locked onto their man and allowed a team mate to float across all day.

If you couldn’t see that then sorry you have no idea

Flashbacks to 2018 today. Long bombs to fwd line with too many intercept marks and lack of forwards that can crumb. Need to make a contest in the air and ground a lot better.
One of the most frustrating games we’ve had in a while

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game was lost before the first bounce the attitude was putrid gave a 4 goal head start let them get their tails up and we plodded around all game chasing ass.

We tried the same crap over and over again, constantly bombing into the forward 50. Never tried sending Naughton back and going small and forcing the players to lower their eyes, we were just way too accepting of what was happening.

The need for a ruckman is massive, English will get there but it won’t be this year and Trengove won’t win us more hit outs so either way we are screwed in that department.

Richards does not do enough, didn’t do enough late last year and hasn’t done anything this year so far, Lloyd had a horrible game.

Not going to get any easier Friday night.

English has an absolute shocker, completely and utterly useless in tapouts and around the ground work today. Everyone who insulted me for saying Trengove should be our #1 ruck can get stuffed and suck it.
Pretty hard to be number 1 ruck when you are out with an injury

Right now English is the 3rd ruck on the list but the 1st at the moment

How quick people are to drop players

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What do you mean!!?

They should have been dropped LAST week!!!

Lloyd and Richards gone for a start.
Duryea, Gowers and sadly our Captain (who fumbled more than most) should be on notice.

Pathetic effort and soundly outplayed destipe the final margin.

There was so many bad parts to our game today. But the lack of speed in our forward line to either A. Crumb the footy. Or B. Tackle and keep the ball inside 50 with pressure was just so painful to watch. Not having Cavarra fit is hurting us. I pray we go after either Butler or Costagna at the end of the season as well.

Lol if you think that you have no idea how to watch footy

Tell me why we continued to bomb the ball long into a taller team that had a plus two all day? They locked onto their man and allowed a team mate to float across all day.

If you couldn’t see that then sorry you have no idea
There is no need to personalise this conversation Matt. Stop insulting other posters or take a holiday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back