Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

He can't kick a set shot?

His kicking at goal has been a liability for years and has only got worse. Those two misses in the third quarter today were absolutely crushing.

He seems to be the only one that can get into enough space and take a mark to even have a chance at goal.

The alternative? Keep watching Brown and Campbell run into each other trying to get the same ball.

Missed a 'captain's goal' shot today. Not for the first time.

Is captaincy weighing him down? Used to be a terrific set shot.

Lol at the first kick of the match today. Ziebell starts in the square.

Plays on advantage from a teammate's free kick. Hack's it forward. Marked by opposition.

Is this 2019? Feels and looks like 2013 sometimes.

I'm so disappointed that such a great Shinboner has not become smart enough to iron out the negative aspects of his game after about a decade at the highest level.

And also so disappointed that he's not a captain who can go up a level in game, do inspirational things and drag us back into a game we're losing.

Just an average footballer who if he honed his craft could become elite
They never addressed the composure issue and stoppage positioning so it became ingrained in him. Old dog won't learn new tricks now. Forward line is the only option for him. His coach doesnt think so but he hasn't got a *en clue.

Love his effort and his obvious love for the club. I also thought that outside his two missed set shots (which makes two pivotal negative moments for him in as many weeks after not giving to Polec last week), he had a decent game.

But looking at his career as a whole, he'll almost certainly end it without a single Syd Barker to his name and not a single AA squad selection, let alone the team proper. You'd be staggered if someone told you that at the start of his career.

Did I just dream it or didn’t Brad Scott say last year (or the year before) that he’d love to play Jack forward more but do to lack of midfielders we had to play him there?

Now the tune has changed where the master coach sees his best position as a midfielder?

Should have traded while he still had currency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness to Jack he's not nearly fit after an interrupted pre-season, least of our problems.

I disagree. Maybe his fitness is the issue but considering our new game style he doesn't work hard enough off the ball or think hard enough about what he is doing with the ball.

It stood out yesterday that our uncontested game fell down after he failed to implement it properly and others followed his onfield example. It was disappointing imo. He could have won the game for us too. I find myself thinking that more and more lately, so far this year and in the last half of last year.

(OOps forgot the quote.)

I disagree. Maybe his fitness is the issue but considering our new game style he doesn't work hard enough off the ball or think hard enough about what he is doing with the ball.

It stood out yesterday that our uncontested game fell down after he failed to implement it properly and others followed his onfield example. It was disappointing imo. He could have won the game for us too. I find myself thinking that more and more lately, so far this year and in the last half of last year.

(OOps forgot the quote.)
he looked spent in the 2nd qtr. Hands on knees stuff.

he looked spent in the 2nd qtr. Hands on knees stuff.

I don't mind that if players have a very quick recovery time and run their absolute guts out. I know he's missed alot of footy (so putting him in the middle is foolish or desperate) as well. But then he can't be active in that set we were using cos he's not up to it yet. To me he doesn't seem to have the composure he should right now. He probably needs to work with a sports psychologist. So he can play with the sense/feeling he has time.

Outside of his kicking for goal he's been relatively fine up forward (for the opportunities) given a very limited pre season. Just keep him there. Moving him up the ground while moving someone like LDU into the forward line is just for the pits. This coaching team needs to take a good hard look at themselves. Their arrogance and continuing obsession with doubling down on gambles that have proven to be ineffective is infuriating.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back