Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Good stuff Tef.

Yep #1 was obvious at the time. But I was happy for the commentary team who collectively ejaculated over each other at that point that it was paid.

#2 was a bit dodgy but if I'm honest I'm mainly angry that none of our cretins bother to do this properly for our spearhead.

#3 exactly as you say. Key forwards occasionally, you know, take marks against your defenders.

If you look at #1 he had both hands on the ball when BMac interferes with him and it falls out. If that happened to Brown and he didn't get a mark or free I'd be upset.

#2 is exactly what i thought, same for 3. Hopefully he'll learn from that first goal.

Some perspective for the inexperienced.

This was NOT a mark:

This was taken against Tarrant and was basically unstoppable once Robinson had blocked Tarrant:

This was just flat out unstoppable. The bloke is 204cm & 107kgs after all (12 kgs heavier than McKay):

Polly got sucked in in that second one. No one got in the hole in front of Big O.

Yeah maybe. I hope as time progresses Thommo's niggle and "dirty tricks" rub off on him. Seems to be something the slightly undersized players learn to get good at. If he can be the monster who's big enough to play the ball when he can, but also play the man when he can't he'll have a long and successful career.

Some perspective for the inexperienced.

This was NOT a mark:

This was taken against Tarrant and was basically unstoppable once Robinson had blocked Tarrant:

This was just flat out unstoppable. The bloke is 204cm & 107kgs after all (12 kgs heavier than McKay):

That first one hurts the most. Not only did he never control the thing, looking at the score at the time it happened makes it even more painful. Arghhh...

2 proper games in and a few practice games of shaking off the cobwebs this guy is already beginning to show signs of a strong foundation we can build on. I think with the consistent run of games, proper tutoring under Thommo & Taz and development he can become a very important backman for us and we're gonna need it for when Thommo & Taz eventually retire.

Get games into him now, or we're seriously going to suffer for it later, theres a potential diamond in the rough we got goin' here.

The guy had a shake round 1, and a shaky pre season, but that's to be expected of a young key position player after only playing 1 game in 2 seasons prior to this. He showed signs of his potential last week. We need to persist with him. By the end of the season I think he could be a mainstay in our defence if the coaches show patience in a promising prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0 worries. Has strengths and flaws but the flaws (foot skills mainly) will remain the same under the current set up where they are not addressed.
There are concerns with Ben. So saying “0 worries” is not right.
Sure, he needs time to develop and improve, but gee, I have seen several areas I am concerned about. We gave up a pretty high draft pick for this guy. Let’s not forget that either.

Whatever. Positioning is fine. The hands will come naturally thank goodness. Offensive decision making will need to developed so put a fork in that.

Once again, not going to even think about a sub-game 5 KPD in terms of our overall performance let one stuck in our disorganised lineup.

And yet again it's hard not to be a broken record. What were our 2017 and 2018 seasons about? We could've had 15-20 extra games into him by now rather than some leaving him in the VFL the whole time while the team sailed off in some meaningless direction that was neither rebuild or all out for finals.

Once again, not going to even think about a sub-game 5 KPD in terms of our overall performance let one stuck in our disorganised lineup.

And yet again it's hard not to be a broken record. What were our 2017 and 2018 seasons about? We could've had 15-20 extra games into him by now rather than some leaving him in the VFL the whole time while the team sailed off in some meaningless direction that was neither rebuild or all out for finals.

His indicators are all tracking well.

Just look at how his twin brother is starting to turn the corner at the 20 game mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back