Society/Culture Psuedoscientific nonsense

Remove this Banner Ad

So an American friend has come to my Taiwanese city to visit me and says he won't drink bubble tea because it contains octopus eggs.

Given what I know about bubble rea and what I have drank here I call bullshit. He reads a lot of hysterical vegan nonsense due to having a few vegan friends. It's not healthy.

Great article by Wendy Tuohy in the Fairfax press on one of the great contemporary charlatans, Pete Evans:

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle...e-toxic-parenting-advice-20190314-p51498.html

attention-grabbing efforts – such as his suggestion online to an osteoporosis sufferer to cease consuming dairy because “calcium from dairy can remove the calcium from your bones ... most doctors don't know this information”

included a recipe for bone broth for infants which contained such massive amounts of vitamin A that his paleo diet for children cookbook was pulled.

Yesterday it was revealed he endorsed an anti-vaccination podcast, titled Vaccines: life, disability or death?, to 1.5 million people on his public Facebook page, calling it "one of the most important podcasts to listen to".

Whether it be poisoning from vitamin A or a bout of avoidable pertussis; why is it, Pete, that you are so hell bent on killing babies?

Some good news for a change, can't believe this wasn't more prominent.

It seems now that in an effort to curtail rising health insurance premiums, the government has finally cracked down on rebates being paid for certain forms of quackery:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/m...-removing-coverage-for-some-natural-therapies

• From 1 April 2019 the following natural therapies will be excluded from the definition of private health insurance general treatment and will no longer receive the private health insurance rebate as part of a general treatment policy: Alexander technique, aromatherapy, Bowen therapy, Buteyko, Feldenkrais, Western herbalism, homeopathy, iridology, kinesiology, naturopathy, Pilates, reflexology, Rolfing, shiatsu, tai chi, and yoga.

It seems now that in an effort to curtail rising health insurance premiums, the government has finally cracked down on rebates being paid for certain forms of quackery:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/m...-removing-coverage-for-some-natural-therapies
Unfortunately we have an extremely spineless government atm:
Natural therapies cut from private health insurance cover could be reinstated as early as next year after the Morrison government bowed to growing pressure to review its new rebate ban.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ate-ban-spurs-new-review-20190407-p51br2.html
How pathetic is the Morrison Government?

The steaming pile of s**t the Liberal party allege is an NBN is Psuedoscientific nonsense.

The Libs should first get a handle on what the * they are even talking about before they lie to the Australian Public and fraudulently claim they can do better than a slug let alone the Labor party.
Every member of the Liberal Party should be forced to pay the rest of Australia compensation for the gigantic cluster * these inbred simpletons have squeezed out of their collect sphincters on this country.

The steaming pile of s**t the Liberal party allege is an NBN is Psuedoscientific nonsense.

The Libs should first get a handle on what the **** they are even talking about before they lie to the Australian Public and fraudulently claim they can do better than a slug let alone the Labor party.
Every member of the Liberal Party should be forced to pay the rest of Australia compensation for the gigantic cluster **** these inbred simpletons have squeezed out of their collect sphincters on this country.
We have a whole subforum dedicated to melts over the LNP m8, the Aus politics forum. No need to drag other threads off topic.

36431871_2058358057516037_765691981958479872_n.jpg
Bovine growth hormone referred to in your post has been banned in Australia and Europe. Not sure the reliability of the rest.

'Alternative medicine by definition has either not been proved to work, or has been proved not to work.

Do you know what they call alternative medicine that has been proved to work? Medicine.'

Medicine is medicine. Alternative just means anything other than mainstream pharmaceuticals.

I agree that alot of it is bullshit and probably works as a placebo would. However the placebo effect is a real phenomenon and should be studied. If it is going to work then I'll take the placebo over drugs any day.

Medicine is medicine. Alternative just means anything other than mainstream pharmaceuticals.

I agree that alot of it is bullshit and probably works as a placebo would. However the placebo effect is a real phenomenon and should be studied. If it is going to work then I'll take the placebo over drugs any day.

Nope.

Mainstream pharmaceuticals have to be subjected to clinical trials etc. This is not equivalent to being recommended by David Avocado Wolfe.

Overprescription and drug dependency is a problem but let's not pretend it's all a big conspiracy.

Nope.

Mainstream pharmaceuticals have to be subjected to clinical trials etc. This is not equivalent to being recommended by David Avocado Wolfe.

Overprescription and drug dependency is a problem but let's not pretend it's all a big conspiracy.

I am not sure what you're trying to say. I have already said there is alot of bullshit out there. However not everyone in alternative medicine is as bad as wolfe. Some in the field have an excellent understanding of physiology, diet, nutrition, minerals, which you would expect GPs would, but the reality is that not all GPs do. Western medicine treats symptoms and many people want a proper cure that doesn't include removing and replacing vital organs.

Also you're either deliberately playing down corruption in medical trials and publications or naive to the problems with them.

People need to take more responsibility for their health rather than relying on western medicine for symptom relief or life support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a whole subforum dedicated to melts over the LNP m8, the Aus politics forum. No need to drag other threads off topic.
In light of the thread title, my post is a perfect fit.

I wonder how far this anti-scientific claptrap can spread?

Thank God for the BBC

A VIDEO produced by the BBC for school children has said there are 100 or more gender identities - despite GPs recognising six

Dr Heying cutting through the bullshit.

Again.

Thank God for the BBC

A VIDEO produced by the BBC for school children has said there are 100 or more gender identities - despite GPs recognising six

I do work with a company which recognises over 600.

There are so many they have to group them:
Male, Female, Other.

So being labelled "other" is the better option to answering the question: what sex were you at birth?

N
I do work with a company which recognises over 600.

There are so many they have to group them:
Male, Female, Other.

So being labelled "other" is the better option to answering the question: what sex were you at birth?
Name them. All.
Surely there is a document which list the lot, given 600 is such a specific number.

We have a Bowen therapist that has tried to grab hold a couple of clients (which is dodgy to start)

She claims she can remove scars and cure diseases without touching a person. She’s batshit crazy. Thank god our clients are smarter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back