Autopsy North v Hawthorn post match thread. - Rd 3, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

It is living in mediocrity. As the Bible says, "So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

I must have missed that the last time I read the Bible.

How many of our boys would get a game at West Coast next week. I count 2 north players getting in ben10, and Higgins. Goldie if he gets back into form. Any others?

First Quarter:
Short kicks in the back half until we found an opening.
And when the opening was found, we went fast and direct.
VERY good football.

Rest of the game:
Clarkson made sure to put the pressure on the backs and not let us chip it around as freely. Because of this we either.
A. Went longer down the line.
B. Tried to break the zone with handball.
C. Tried riskier kicks through the middle.

I dislike BS as a coach and I don't think he is the one who can lead us to the promised land.
But to say he doesnt have a plan B is just plain wrong.
The team tried different things. They didnt come off, but there were definitely changes in the way we moved the ball.

Can you name the plan B because it didn't really look like we did anything different. Players took a mark and first thing they did was dart their eyes sideways.

It is one thing to back the players but this group collectively makes him look like a goose year after year because they can't consistently execute what he is asking them to do. If he start taking pot shots at players, he loses the only real asset he has and that is that the players like him because he doesn't hold them to a higher standard. 2019 is effectively shot, our 150th year celebration is dead, there is going to be tumbleweed blowing down the stands next week, he isn't giving anything for supporters to rally around.

Yeah, it's pretty morbid stuff. I found myself numb watching Hawthorn just roll over us. It's like the spirit of the club has drained out, and I can't even get pumped up when Cunners fucs someone up, or Higgins burns 3 blokes and kicks a bomb, or Brown takes an epic high point mark. I just know some fluffer like Dom Tyson or Luke McDonald is minutes away from a clanger. I don't have the same excitement because I know the club doesn't have that shinboner "fight back" in them anymore. Too many new faces without solid leaders to bring them back in. Tarrant and Thommo look nuked too.

So Brad doesn't want to name the under performers, MM nails him saying that if he drops anyone on Thursday he is effectively naming them regardless. Brad can't even get a win in the press conference. :stern look
I think the only under performers in our team right now are Tarrant(underdone), Simpkin and Goldstein(only ruck at the club). The rest are performing to the best of their ability in the role they've been given. There are maybe 2/3 feasible changes that make us better personnel wise right now.

The form is ok, the players are trying. It's a sad state of affairs at arden street.

There it is again.

View attachment 649923

He kept Campbell in the side, then barely used him up forward whilst Brown was taking on 3 blokes.
The selection of Campbell is bewildering. He wont be on list in two years. He's not a forward. Here's an idea. Play Larkey! And run McKay as a floating tall/ back up ruckman. We need to pump games into McKay and Larkey.

I think the only under performers in our team right now are Tarrant(underdone), Simpkin and Goldstein(only ruck at the club). The rest are performing to the best of their ability in the role they've been given. There are maybe 2/3 feasible changes that make us better personnel wise right now.

The form is ok, the players are trying. It's a sad state of affairs at arden street.

There's absolutely no way you can tell me Luke McDonald, Dom Tyson, Tom Campbell, Ben MacKay, LDU, and even JMac are riding a fine line between getting a long stint in the 2's vs hanging onto their spots?

I get it, we're missing some good depth (Anderson, Jacobs, Wood, Williams), but holy crap, is this all we have?

There's absolutely no way you can tell me Luke McDonald, Dom Tyson, Tom Campbell, Ben MacKay, LDU, and even JMac are riding a fine line between getting a long stint in the 2's vs hanging onto their spots?

I get it, we're missing some good depth (Anderson, Jacobs, Wood, Williams), but holy crap, is this all we have?
Dunno how LDU and Mckay ended up being snuck in your doom squad but all of them are playing their role, the role they're not suited to/not up to peforming to the best of their ability.

Dropping any of them will fix nothing. Adding better players like the ones listed will make us marginally better, but won't fix the major problem.

The longest off season in professional sport to get fit, work on skills and game plan, adjust to new rules, etc etc and yet we look like like a bunch of suburban hacks. completely unfit and cannot play out 4 qtrs, skills the worst in comp, a team lacking hunger, spirit and passion, a coach in absolute denial .... things look very bleak, a wasted season coming up if we at least dont pump games into youngsters. Scott and the club simply dont value winning games as they continue to give games to out of form, no impact players and continue to believe in the 'game plan'. Scott even after 10 years continues to be a useless match day tactical coach, an absolute liabilty. Has done nothing innovative nor is prepared to deviate from his ways. We've screwed up countless games during his tenure because of this. I'm so ******* sick of coughing up leads, going to sleep and giving sides a sniff, letting opposition star players completely destroy us, a lack of true leadership when things start to heat up, seeing promising youngsters go backwards but most of all a lack of desire to win games of football. We're an absolute soft touch to play against and have far too many players just comfortable with life as a professional footballer.

Can you name the plan B because it didn't really look like we did anything different. Players took a mark and first thing they did was dart their eyes sideways.

I named 2 different things we tried to get through Hawthorns setup using.
1. Handball 2. Riskier short kicks into the middle. (I dont consider long down the line a "plan").
But thats 3 different ways we moved the ball if you count the first quarter.

The players had plan A. As you said, looking sideways but when that short defensive kick wasnt on.
We DID try other things.
Now. I dont know Whether it was Scotts initiative to try it or the players taking it on themselves. (I assume Scott because he is the head coach)
But our ball movement definitely changed throughout the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno how LDU and Mckay ended up being snuck in your doom squad but all of them are playing their role, the role they're not suited to/not up to peforming to the best of their ability.

Dropping any of them will fix nothing. Adding better players like the ones listed will make us marginally better, but won't fix the major problem.

Ok, maybe LDU and McKay can be forgiven given their low tenure, even McDonald could get a look there, but the others.. I dunno, you don't want coasters, and they look to me like coasters.

The longest off season in professional sport to get fit, work on skills and game plan, adjust to new rules, etc etc and yet we look like like a bunch of suburban hacks. completely unfit and cannot play out 4 qtrs, skills the worst in comp, a team lacking hunger, spirit and passion, a coach in absolute denial .... things look very bleak, a wasted season coming up if we at least dont pump games into youngsters. Scott and the club simply dont value winning games as they continue to give games to out of form, no impact players and continue to believe in the 'game plan'. Scott even after 10 years continues to be a useless match day tactical coach, an absolute liabilty. Has done nothing innovative nor is prepared to deviate from his ways. We've screwed up countless games during his tenure because of this. I'm so ******* sick of coughing up leads, going to sleep and giving sides a sniff, letting opposition star players completely destroy us, a lack of true leadership when things start to heat up, seeing promising youngsters go backwards but most of all a lack of desire to win games of football. We're an absolute soft touch to play against and have far too many players just comfortable with life as a professional footballer.

Breeeeaaathe son, get it out, you'll be alright.

Yeah, it's pretty morbid stuff. I found myself numb watching Hawthorn just roll over us. It's like the spirit of the club has drained out, and I can't even get pumped up when Cunners fucs someone up, or Higgins burns 3 blokes and kicks a bomb, or Brown takes an epic high point mark. I just know some fluffer like Dom Tyson or Luke McDonald is minutes away from a clanger. I don't have the same excitement because I know the club doesn't have that shinboner "fight back" in them anymore. Too many new faces without solid leaders to bring them back in. Tarrant and Thommo look nuked too.

I am sympathetic because I think we would have been a lot better with Jacobs, Anderson and Daw in the side, however, I think it highlights some of the major issues we have in relation to how we prepare for a season and what we spend our time on over the pre-season. Brad was part of the group that came up with the 6-6-6 change and we seem totally unprepared for it.

Now. I dont know Whether it was Scotts initiative to try it or the players taking it on themselves. (I assume Scott because he is the head coach)
But our ball movement definitely changed throughout the game.
You're right but the issue is he's got woeful ball users like Mcdonald and Pittard attempting to make those kicks. It was absolutely worth throwing Polec at half back where he is able to make the risky kicks, or generate handball game, but it didn't come and we were helpless to fix the problem.

I am sympathetic because I think we would have been a lot better with Jacobs, Anderson and Daw in the side, however, I think it highlights some of the major issues we have in relation to how we prepare for a season and what we spend our time on over the pre-season. Brad was part of the group that came up with the 6-6-6 change and we seem totally unprepared for it.

The 6-6-6 thing is beyond mind-boggling.

Brad changes rule.
Rule doesn't work for Brad.
Brad calls out rule changes for being bad.
Bad Brad.

Sorry to intrude but did LDU go off injured? I only watched about 20 minutes in the first quarter and he was in everything showing his class. But I just saw he ended with only 9 touches? I thought he had that many while I was watching? Did he go off injured or just not get near it? I thought it was going to be a bit of a break out game for him.

Sorry to intrude but did LDU go off injured? I only watched about 20 minutes in the first quarter and he was in everything showing his class. But I just saw he ended with only 9 touches? I thought he had that many while I was watching? Did he go off injured or just not get near it? I thought it was going to be a bit of a break out game for him.

I don't remember a mention of any Roos players going off injured tbh, could be wrong though. I think he just got squeezed out when the Hawks upped their pressure inside. He still was OK after Q1.

Our coaching masterminds decided he was better off hiding forward.
We didn’t want his skill level and decision making to humiliate the other boys.

You're right but the issue is he's got woeful ball users like Mcdonald and Pittard attempting to make those kicks. It was absolutely worth throwing Polec at half back where he is able to make the risky kicks, or generate handball game, but it didn't come and we were helpless to fix the problem.
Pittards kicking was very good today.

Did you see Polec cough up a goal because he couldn’t turn outside onto his right? Instead he turned back inside, got smashed in a tackle and the Hawks took the ball way for a goal. Polec would get found out so easily playing across the Hakf Back line, he plays wing/half forward or not at all.

Pittards kicking was very good today.

Did you see Polec cough up a goal because he couldn’t turn outside onto his right? Instead he turned back inside, got smashed in a tackle and the Hawks took the ball way for a goal. Polec would get found out so easily playing across the Hakf Back line, he plays wing/half forward or not at all.
His kicking was good, but that was mostly 20m lateral kicks which weren’t getting us anywhere. We needed someone with precise skills to bust through their set up but no one was willing to try. Tarrant had a crack, Thomas had a crack but it ended up in goals.

Higgins or Polec. Take your pick. Used to be dal santo. Tell me of the good ball user Scott has developed across half back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back