Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, I'm a vegan but I sure as heck wouldn't stand around holding a sign up about it. Not sure what that accomplishes. I get pretty tired of the mercenary vegan activists, to be honest. We had an incident here in Canada last year where a bunch of vegan activists vandalised a privately owned shop that sold only wild game meats. Which to me seemed odd, as that's exactly the way you'd want your meat procured if you care at all about animal welfare and climate change. Humanely kill and eat an animal that spent its life free in the wild, sure. That's the food chain. Not sure why vegans have such a quarrel with that. From an environmental point of view, keeping things local and non-industrialised is also the way to go. Go after factory farming though, absolutely. The way the vast majority of our meat is raised and slaughtered is profoundly inhumane and damaging to the planet. It needs to be changed. But standing around in the middle of rush hour holding up signs and looking self-righteous isn't gonna cut it, it's just going to piss people off. Lift your game vegans.

Now THESE folks I can get behind - they're actually DOING something:

Doha Hanno, Special to CTVNews.ca
Published Wednesday, April 3, 2019 6:25PM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, April 6, 2019 3:19PM EDT

Anti-poverty activists crashed a Toronto pop-up restaurant Friday night that promised luxurious dinners in heated glass domes near the site of a former homeless camp.

For a minimum of $550, guests at “Dinner With A View” enjoy a three-course meal prepared by former “Top Chef Canada” winner Rene Rodriguez, while seated in terrarium-like domes. The event is located in an area under the city’s Gardiner Expressway known as the “Bentway,” close to where city officials removed a large homeless encampment on March 13.

The Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) says it’s opposed to the heated, terrarium-like domes placed for diners near the area where homeless people were evicted after struggling to survive all winter. That’s why activists staged a free counter-event Friday called “Dinner With A View Of The Rich.”

“In our city, homeless people living under the Gardiner with no heat are evicted, meanwhile pop-up restaurants serving luxury dinners in heated domes under that same highway are granted permits. The brazenness in our opinion begs a challenge and we’re happy to oblige,” Yogi Acharya, event organizer and activist with OCAP, said in an interview with CTVNews.ca.

Also, members of OCAP provided free dinners for the homeless as part of their protest.

http://ocap.ca/category/events/

Well, I'm a vegan but I sure as heck wouldn't stand around holding a sign up about it. Not sure what that accomplishes. I get pretty tired of the mercenary vegan activists, to be honest. We had an incident here in Canada last year where a bunch of vegan activists vandalised a privately owned shop that sold only wild game meats. Which to me seemed odd, as that's exactly the way you'd want your meat procured if you care at all about animal welfare and climate change. Humanely kill and eat an animal that spent its life free in the wild, sure. That's the food chain. Not sure why vegans have such a quarrel with that. From an environmental point of view, keeping things local and non-industrialised is also the way to go. Go after factory farming though, absolutely. The way the vast majority of our meat is raised and slaughtered is profoundly inhumane and damaging to the planet. It needs to be changed. But standing around in the middle of rush hour holding up signs and looking self-righteous isn't gonna cut it, it's just going to piss people off. Lift your game vegans.

Now THESE folks I can get behind - they're actually DOING something:

Doha Hanno, Special to CTVNews.ca
Published Wednesday, April 3, 2019 6:25PM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, April 6, 2019 3:19PM EDT

Anti-poverty activists crashed a Toronto pop-up restaurant Friday night that promised luxurious dinners in heated glass domes near the site of a former homeless camp.

For a minimum of $550, guests at “Dinner With A View” enjoy a three-course meal prepared by former “Top Chef Canada” winner Rene Rodriguez, while seated in terrarium-like domes. The event is located in an area under the city’s Gardiner Expressway known as the “Bentway,” close to where city officials removed a large homeless encampment on March 13.

The Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) says it’s opposed to the heated, terrarium-like domes placed for diners near the area where homeless people were evicted after struggling to survive all winter. That’s why activists staged a free counter-event Friday called “Dinner With A View Of The Rich.”

“In our city, homeless people living under the Gardiner with no heat are evicted, meanwhile pop-up restaurants serving luxury dinners in heated domes under that same highway are granted permits. The brazenness in our opinion begs a challenge and we’re happy to oblige,” Yogi Acharya, event organizer and activist with OCAP, said in an interview with CTVNews.ca.

Also, members of OCAP provided free dinners for the homeless as part of their protest.

http://ocap.ca/category/events/

I view them with nothing but contempt

I view them with nothing but contempt

Yeah, I can understand how you would feel that way. I’d say that when it comes to effective advocacy vegans and animal welfare types in general rely too much on force and shock value, and to say it puts people off would be the understatement of the year. There’s always going to be a meat industry because we are an omnivorous species. The act of eating meat is not some terrible sin. We just need to improve the way we go about it, for everyone’s sake. Documenting cruelty is only one aspect, and in reality, animal cruelty has never been too high on the priority lists of those in power. But then, neither has climate change, until recently. The window is now opening for re-evaluating mass meat production from an environmental perspective, and it’s high time someone took the reins on that opportunity. Which means more lobbying politicians to include it in climate change policies, and less standing around in rush hour traffic wearing signs that offer no relevance to the problem.

Test tube meat is where we should be headed anyway. Covers both the cruelty and the environmental issues.

Id love for the vegans to March into some indigenous communities and tell them how cruel it is killing and eating Dugongs, Turtles and wallabies.

Or go even further to the Amazon and explain to the tribes that Sloths are cute and slow and shouldn't be killed for food.

Or eastern Europe and explain to my uncle that slaughtering his piglet and cooking it fresh on a spit whole over coals is not delicious.
Lunatics

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Had some time to watch ‘Dominion’ yesterday to see what the fuss is about...lasted 45 minutes and some things can’t be unseen. Love meat as much as the next meat eater but was totally clueless as to what Industrial Agriculture involves. I don’t know what the answer is but some of those practices are antiquated and in some instances cruel and do require an examination.

The problem with yesterday was that it just alienated most of the world and diverted attention away from the documentary and it’s key points.

Like any good pieces of film it strikes a cord emotionally. It uses footage of the factories reminiscent of aerial footage of Auschwitz; and that’s where the documentary walks a fine line between exploiting the human suffering of Industrial human murder with an overlay of Industrial animal slaughter to draw out a response.

If you can stomach it, it is worth a viewing as to a part of the world I was totally ignorant about.

Yeah, I can understand how you would feel that way. I’d say that when it comes to effective advocacy vegans and animal welfare types in general rely too much on force and shock value, and to say it puts people off would be the understatement of the year. There’s always going to be a meat industry because we are an omnivorous species. The act of eating meat is not some terrible sin. We just need to improve the way we go about it, for everyone’s sake. Documenting cruelty is only one aspect, and in reality, animal cruelty has never been too high on the priority lists of those in power. But then, neither has climate change, until recently. The window is now opening for re-evaluating mass meat production from an environmental perspective, and it’s high time someone took the reins on that opportunity. Which means more lobbying politicians to include it in climate change policies, and less standing around in rush hour traffic wearing signs that offer no relevance to the problem.

Test tube meat is where we should be headed anyway. Covers both the cruelty and the environmental issues.

Test tube meat sounds like an abomination. I don’t care if vegans don’t want to consume animal products, that’s their choice. Just don’t try and make everyone else bend to their want.

I liken yesterday’s protest to a bunch of religious nut cases shutting the city down because the rest of us are living sinful lives.

They should just set up a cult somewhere in the bush and leave the rest of us alone.

Test tube meat sounds like an abomination. I don’t care if vegans don’t want to consume animal products, that’s their choice. Just don’t try and make everyone else bend to their want.

I liken yesterday’s protest to a bunch of religious nut cases shutting the city down because the rest of us are living sinful lives.

They should just set up a cult somewhere in the bush and leave the rest of us alone.

See there’s their problem from yesterday; shut it down or fix it up? The antagonism has mixed up the message. Watching Dominion there are clearly areas for improvement but the ability to shut it down is impossible.

See there’s their problem from yesterday; shut it down or fix it up? The antagonism has mixed up the message. Watching Dominion there are clearly areas for improvement but the ability to shut it down is impossible.

The industry should definitely be cleaned up. Don’t need to be a vegan to know that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The industry should definitely be cleaned up. Don’t need to be a vegan to know that.

You watched it?

It’s not one industry. I watched Pigs and Chickens (eggs/meat) and there are practises there that you think..what? And here’s me, the biggest salesman for KFC on this board..

We had chooks at home as a kid in the 70’s that we slaughtered for Roasts. 40 odd years on the taste and smell of those chooks is not like what you buy today

You watched it?

It’s not one industry. I watched Pigs and Chickens (eggs/meat) and there are practises there that you think..what? And here’s me, the biggest salesman for KFC on this board..

We had chooks at home as a kid in the 70’s that we slaughtered for Roasts. 40 odd years on the taste and smell of those chooks is not like what you buy today

No I didn’t watch it. Don’t need to. There’s been heaps of leaked videos over the years. I remember one where the pigs were in cages so small the couldn’t lay down, forget about turning around. There was dead a piglet under it because it was trampled. Very s**t.

Live exporting. Drag netting. All that stuff is horrible.

I know it’s not one industry. When I say the industry I mean it as a broad statement regarding all industries involving animals.

As long as the meat industry remains just that – an “industry” - it’s going to be pretty difficult to improve conditions. Profit relies on mass production, and mass production entrenches suffering. And still does not address environmental impact. Hence my leaning toward manufacturing meat in labs as a solution. The other thing many people don’t seem to understand yet is that a meat-based diet is not sustainable on this planet at the rate we’re going environmentally.

As for Royal Flush’s comment about hunting, and Indigenous and Amazonian tribes, I guess I didn’t make it clear in my first post that I actually support that as a way of procuring food. I pointed out that that is in fact the food chain. Those animals live their lives free, and not in prolonged suffering until they are killed. It’s also not a contributor to climate change. The two most egregious transgressions involved in the meat industry are prolonged and unnecessary animal suffering and massive environmental impact. I’m talking factory farms, not some indigenous Amazonians just doing their thing to find that day’s dinner.

Good on you for watching that film Gaso. I know those docos are tough slogging. But I also feel that no one should think they’re just entitled to an opinion without making it an educated opinion. Simply saying, yeah I know I know isn’t good enough. Most people who eat meat DON’T know. Educate yourself, then make a decision.

And in theory, anyone who has trouble with the idea of test tube hamburgers might want to ask what the heck is that bag of sawdust that the ground beef gets mixed half and half with at the taco shop. Add it to the ground beef, come out with twice as much ground beef. And to your point Gaso, test tube chicken would probably be healthier than KFC chicken. There’d be no need for growth hormones and antibiotics in test tube meat. There’d also be no swine flu, no mad cow disease, no avian influenza, no fecal contamination. The meat we already produce is far from pristine.

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this, but I have 2 tickets to You Am I at the Corner Hotel tonight and due to unexpected circumstances, I can't use them.

I'm happy to sell them at half price ($25 each instead of $50) for anyone who would like them.

The issue is (like most things) when everyone assumes that a small minority speaks for the entire group. Not all vegans are like that.

I don't eat meat. I don't care what others eat. Just know that if I was forced to choose between cooking you or a pig to survive, you'd be over the fire in about 0.01 seconds.

1554979814342.png

Total for full body = 125,822 calories

If I have a light-moderate physical activity level (even in survival mode I'm still likely to meet the physical activity guidelines because I'm not a slob) I'd need to consume 3148 calories to cover my estimated energy requirement.

125,822/3148 = 39.96 days

A whole pig is ~112,094 calories

112,822/3148 = 35.84 days.

So casting aside emotion, I will survive ~4 days longer eating you over the pig.

Bon Appétit

source.gif

The issue is (like most things) when everyone assumes that a small minority speaks for the entire group. Not all vegans are like that.

I don't eat meat. I don't care what others eat. Just know that if I was forced to choose between cooking you or a pig to survive, you'd be over the fire in about 0.01 seconds.

View attachment 652519

Total for full body = 125,822 calories

If I have a light-moderate physical activity level (even in survival mode I'm still likely to meet the physical activity guidelines because I'm not a slob) I'd need to consume 3148 calories to cover my estimated energy requirement.

125,822/3148 = 39.96 days

A whole pig is ~112,094 calories

112,822/3148 = 35.84 days.

So casting aside emotion, I will survive ~4 days longer eating you over the pig.

Bon Appétit

source.gif

Just promise me you’d use my brain to make lasagna. Brain lasagna is the best. And unless you want to get really wasted stay away from my liver & kidneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back