Review Lackluster Dogs Lose To The Suns, Rd 3, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a comment for those saying it is a good sign that we played badly and only lost by 5 points.

If we played badly against Geelong and lost by only 5 points it is a good sign.

If we played badly against West Coast and lost by only 5 points it is a good sign.

If we played badly against GCS and lost by only 5 points it is not a good sign.

One of those things is not the same as the other two.

Based on recent history this is generally correct

Based on the now - perhaps not

Can someone explain to me what the hell Dickson was doing in the 3rd qtr when he looked right into the eyes of the suns defender who was bearing down on him, and still thought he could turn and run away with it? Does he think he’s still 21 or something?
Yes, he had Naughton in space to handball to him, very selfish

No team that has lost to Gold Coast during the H&A season has gone on to win the Premiership.

Marcus Bontempelli up to 2014-16: 58 goals, 43 behinds
Marcus Bontempelli 2016-present: 43 goals, 51 behinds

#SadStats

There has always gotta be a first.

No team that has lost to Gold Coast during the H&A season has gone on to win the Premiership.

#SadStats
To be fair, Gold Coast have been woeful their entire history. Their best season (10-12) was 2014, and even then they didn't break even. This year is the most competitive they've looked since 2014, so I can definitely see them snagging a few upsets throughout the year. Probably still end up bottom 4, but it's nowhere near as bad to lose to them anymore. Not that I'm tipping us for the premiership this year though haha

Dicko was one of our best last week so probably would not drop him - won’t happen anyway. Really hoping Young does well but seemed to me he was well beaten yesterday - same for most of them though

#SadStats
Once upon a time no team ever won a premiership from 7th place either.

Once upon a time no team ever won a premiership from 7th place either.

The suns will still finish bottom 4.

That was one of Bevs worst losses.

We are not making even 7th playing like that mate in fact if we play like that we may not win another game

Last edited:
Umpire number 20 shielding his eyes to see the play at one stage too (Not blaming umps for our shite performance, just saying)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Was that the same ump who missed the ball going out on the full by about two feet? One of the most blatantly wrong decisions I’ve seen in a while. He was in the perfect spot to see it. Baffling.

We are not making even 7th playing like that mate in fact if we play like three may not win another game
I'd hope this is just a blotch on our season, and not actually indicative of how we're going to be performing for the year. We played like a top 4 side the first two rounds (except the 3rd quarter against the Hawks) but like a bottom 4 side against the Suns.

There were at least 3 instances I can think of where, if the players didn't * up so hard, we'd have won the game
1 - Tory playing on and getting caught when it was an otherwise clean run at goal if he passed.
2 - Richards coming about 2 seconds short of a goal before the siren.
3 - Gowers missing that last shot on goal.

Would've been a disgusting win though. Mindset really seemed like a huge issue, especially in the first quarter. If that was Geelong, West Coast or Collingwood, we'd have been down by 50 at quarter time

I'd hope this is just a blotch on our season, and not actually indicative of how we're going to be performing for the year. We played like a top 4 side the first two rounds (except the 3rd quarter against the Hawks) but like a bottom 4 side against the Suns.

There were at least 3 instances I can think of where, if the players didn't **** up so hard, we'd have won the game
1 - Tory playing on and getting caught when it was an otherwise clean run at goal if he passed.
2 - Richards coming about 2 seconds short of a goal before the siren.
3 - Gowers missing that last shot on goal.

Would've been a disgusting win though. Mindset really seemed like a huge issue, especially in the first quarter. If that was Geelong, West Coast or Collingwood, we'd have been down by 50 at quarter time

Sorry I don’t accept the mindset excuse

Possibly has something to do with it first qrt but I think people forget we have been shite for two years AND we had 3/4 to change the mode once shocked into reality at the end of the first. if our players have a mindset issue they are morons who over rate themselves.

They are all excuses the reality is we were horrible coached, skills were deplorable and we weren’t good enough to overcome a VFL standard footy team with a very simple game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I don’t accept the mindset excuse

Possibly has something to do with it first qrt but I think people forget we have been shite for two years AND we had 3/4 to change the mode once shocked into reality at the end of the first. if our players have a mindset issue they are morons who over rate themselves.

They are all excuses the reality is we were horrible coached, skills were deplorable and we weren’t good enough to overcome a VFL standard footy team with a very simple game plan.
We easily lost the 1st, won the 2nd and 4th are were about even in the 3rd. Discounting the horrific first quarter, we would've walked away with a similar margin win to the first two rounds.

I think mindset was a huge issue at the start because we were completely caught out, and took far too long to react. We don't seem to have a good enough plan B in place, or our on-field leaders are just not doing their job properly to communicate whatever the coaches are wanting.

Completely agree on skills - the kicking especially seemed back to 2018 levels again. Even Caleb Daniel horribly shanked an unpressured kick, which is so uncharacteristic of him. Bont was struggling to make a single effective kick, and most of all I just couldn't believe how many terrible handballs were being thrown around in our forward line. There was even one where Lloyd, who is usually extremely composed and reliable with disposal, somehow managed to do a long distance handball directly to a Suns player (Collins?) who was standing alone, with no Dogs players surrounding him. Suns must have been approaching some sort of intercepting record, and not because of their own performance. The disposal was just amateurish this weekend, especially in the forward half (including the midfielders), and it absolutely killed us

We are not making even 7th playing like that mate in fact if we play like that we may not win another game
We were terrible but the Suns look like they'll be the surprise packet of the year. I don't think they finish bottom four.

We were terrible but the Suns look like they'll be the surprise packet of the year. I don't think they finish bottom four.
Who will they finish above?

It seems a forgone conclusion that Carlton finish bottom 4, with North looking likely too, but who else finishes lower? Saints scraped through with a 1 point win over them, and only managed to beat an atrocious Essendon by about a goal. Not convinced they'll finish much higher than bottom 4.

That leaves an unimproved Melbourne, a garbage-tier Essendon, a tanking Richmond, or even us to finish below them, which just seems unlikely. Gold Coast have so far faced 3 of last year's bottom 6, and not won either of their games convincingly. They have a tough run ahead.

I still think they'll be far more competitive this year, and secure themselves more wins, but in 2018 Fremantle and us finished above the bottom 4 with 8 wins each, so you'd think Gold Coast could reasonably get 8 wins and still be bottom 4. Just not sure who they would realistically finish above, but I guess it's possible to see Carlton, North, Essendon and Saints as the bottom 4, going by current form

can our players play with aggression. they all seem passive soft utensils. especially defenders

also use the side steps guys!!!! our guys just always seem flat footed. apart from caelb we dont have many players who can weave in and out of traffic

why have we got the most players with the slow acceleration

* that loss still stings

They are very young and will run out of legs at about half way

Also other coaches surely won’t be stupid enough to play the way we did on the weekend thy gifted them the game.

I’m not exaggerating when I saw it was one of the worst AFL level coaching performances I’ve ever seen. Bev changed the plan mid stream against the hawks due to the same problem but did zero yesterday. I don’t buy into the players didn’t listen coz they listened before so why not yesterday?

They are very young and will run out of legs at about half way

Also other coaches surely won’t be stupid enough to play the way we did on the weekend thy gifted them the game.

I’m not exaggerating when I saw it was one of the worst AFL level coaching performances I’ve ever seen. Bev changed the plan mid stream against the hawks due to the same problem but did zero yesterday. I don’t buy into the players didn’t listen coz they listened before so why not yesterday?

Complacent and laziness?

Granted we will know more in future weeks with how it plays out in which way.

Well that was awful. Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, other than that historically we've made very few changes after winning games and lucky wins like last week tend to "paper over the cracks", so under-performing players keep their spots and this time we got burnt :(

Whilst talking of umps. I remember a dead set mark to Young that he held, a Sun came over his back and chopped him so he dropped it...no mark paid. But yeah not complaining overall but I do recall that one.

At the ground I thought it was a dead set mark as well. It come up on the screen and he dropped it, there was an effect to spoil but it was a correct call judging by the replay.

I thought the coaches votes were strange last week, this week just bizarre, 1 coach gave Libba 2 votes and the other gave him none, yet both coaches gave Bont a perfect 5

No arguments there.

It was just a very strange decision because there’s no way he couldn’t have seen it was a mile out.

In the first qrt they took a mark a foot over the line and the umps called it a mark. He was exactly o line with it as was I so no idea how he missed it.

These calls happen but some are shockers and so far I think we are a fair way in front

Remove this Banner Ad

Back