Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10957316

Interesting opinion about the decline of sports commentary in Australia.
Made some great points but undermined it a bit with the obvious chip on their shoulder from jocks bullying them in trig class.

I suspect the root cause is the desire to appeal to the lowest common denominator of viewers. Maybe it works? Either way, we can probably blame rex hunt.

Jocks don't take trig, that bit rang false. Not as brilliantly savage as Geoff Lemon's takedown of cricket commentary, but it's nice to see someone in the media finally calling them out.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10957316

Interesting opinion about the decline of sports commentary in Australia.
1 . TBF to eddy it was a s**t toss . You dont need legs to toss a coin . I also think cynthia banham would hate to be treated different becuase of her disability so it was a no win situation .

2 . I really hope they do an article on the decline is journalism. People in glass houses .
This is a much bigger issue than commentary.
We want facts that are checked and confirmed not ******* opinion peices that speculate with no credibility

Titus doing what Titus does:D

Collingwood vs West Coast (MCG) Seven & Fox 7:25pm
I cannot wait for this game, especially after Mason Cox successfully appealed his charge of ‘loitering with intent’.
The Cox decision only highlights that the whole AFL judiciary is just as confused as us fans are.
If there’s one thing we need to fix this mess, it’s more rules and all with lots of gray areas for interpretation by numerous individuals. Luckily, the AFL keep tweaking them constantly like a person with OCD who can’t leave things alone.
No wonder the umpires have such a tough time. Us fans can’t understand the interpretations of the Match Review Panel, and that’s after we’ve seen each incident in slow motion from twenty angles, one hundred times.

Imagine having to make these interpretations in real time. It gives me a fair bit of sympathy for our umpires. Except for Razor Ray because he thinks he’s some sort of pantomime villain we are all go to see and does not deserve our sympathy.
We have to face up to something, a win here and the Pies chances of a premiership increase dramatically.
You have to start thinking about purchasing a property in the country and off the grid if the Pies get up in this. They’re every chance too. They’re a really good side, as much as it pains me to admit it, and it does pain me, like squeezing lemon juice into a gaping wound.
West Coast showed last week they are still in premiership form. It’s a real miracle they are so good given Champion Data rated their list outside the eight. I just hope premiership glory goes some way to make up the disappointment of not being ranked highly by Champion Data.

I’m tipping the Eagles but this could be very close.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Titus O'Reily

Collingwood (76) v West Coast (98)

The Eagles being a Premiership team was not some fluke or fever dream, they’re actually really good.

I guess the irritation of getting no credit for being the best team in the competition can be offset by winning a lot.

Dom Sheed and Liam Ryan again haunted the Magpies, while Andrew Gaff returned with 35 disposals.

It was inspiring to see him make a comeback and with such a great performance. Oh, hang on, he wasn’t the victim, was he? I got confused the way some people were talking about it.

The problem for the Pies is they just can’t stay with the Eagles for an entire game and on the MCG that’s a problem.

When it counts, the Pies just couldn’t find a winner. De Goey started strong but was well held, and when it came to the big moments, it was all the Eagles.

I'm liking Jake Niall's respect for West Coast over the past year or so. I think he appreciates how professional West Coast is as a club, the club's coaching setup etc etc.

On The Age podcast today he was saying how impressive West Coast's travel record is, noting that we haven't lost in Melbourne since 2017. And interestingly he added that in the context of World Sport, the Eagles travel more than almost an other professional sporting team, which I thought was a good fact (he used the Indian Cricket team as one example).

Niall's been one of the few voices in the east who has acknowledged how fundamentally unfair the GF location is for non-Victorian teams. And he has also been consistent with his view that it is much harder to win the flag from outside Victoria and in particular from WA (30%) I believe.

Anyway, there's nothing amazing about any of this, but he's a quality writer, a bit contrarian and it's nice when someone from Victoria states the bleeding obvious!

Last edited:
It seems high-profile Victorian football media types are taking notice of West Coast a little earlier this season.

After the Eagles’ impressive win over Collingwood – and with pre-season flag fancies Richmond and Melbourne imploding – who could blame them?

Demons great Garry Lyon and St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt were among the prominent former players quick to heap praise on Adam Simpson’s side on Monday.

It’s not too late to sign up for tipping and Pick 7 fantasy! There’s great weekly cash prizes and the automatic chance to win a Mazda BT-50...Register to play The Game tipping and fantasy today!

“I’m watching West Coast on Saturday night and I’m thinking, Andrew Gaff walks into that midfield, didn’t play in the grand final, and is best on ground,” Lyon said on SEN.

“Brad Sheppard comes in and plays on Jordan de Goey, he is underrated and didn’t play in the grand final either.

“They introduce a kid called Oscar Allen who has got legitimate star qualities to the point where Brad Johnson said in that draft, he would’ve taken him number one.

“That’s how high Johnson rates him, so he’s going to compliment Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy beautifully."

“And then what you need most in the modern game is leg speed. This kid Jack Petruccelle who comes into the side and he has breathtaking speed.

“What about those four additions to a premiership side?”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back