• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Constantly hearing about Richmond's 'big 4' has got me thinking - whose is best?

We never hear about any other team and their 'big 4', almost as if there isn't any other that exists.

It's actually quite impressive just how good the top 4 players are from each team.

You can definitely understand how difficult a win would be when 2-3 players of your 'Big 4' are injured (see Richmond).

Adelaide: Sloane, Laird, Crouch, Walker
Brisbane: Zorko, Neale, Andrews, Cameron
Carlton: Cripps, Simpson, Murphy, Docherty
Collingwood: Treloar, Pendlebury, De Goey, Grundy
Essendon: Heppell, Shiel, Smith, Merrett
Fremantle: Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Walters
Geelong: Kelly, Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins
Gold Coast: Harbrow, Witts, Swallow, Weller
GWS: Greene, Coniglio, Cameron, Kelly
Hawthorn: Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara, Sicily
Melbourne: Brayshaw, Oliver, Gawn, Viney
North: Ziebell, Higgins, Brown, Cunnington
Port: Gray, Jonas, Dixon, Boak
Richmond: Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt
St Kilda: Steven, Ross, Geary, Carlisle
Sydney: Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Heeney
West Coast: Shuey, Naitanui, McGovern, Yeo
Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, McLean, Macrae

Apologies if I have your teams best players out of whack, it is actually quite hard!

Beams over Pendlebury in our big 4

Constantly hearing about Richmond's 'big 4' has got me thinking - whose is best?

We never hear about any other team and their 'big 4', almost as if there isn't any other that exists.

It's actually quite impressive just how good the top 4 players are from each team.

You can definitely understand how difficult a win would be when 2-3 players of your 'Big 4' are injured (see Richmond).

Adelaide: Sloane, Laird, Crouch, Walker
Brisbane: Zorko, Neale, Andrews, Cameron
Carlton: Cripps, Simpson, Murphy, Docherty
Collingwood: Treloar, Pendlebury, De Goey, Grundy
Essendon: Heppell, Shiel, Smith, Merrett
Fremantle: Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Walters
Geelong: Kelly, Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins
Gold Coast: Harbrow, Witts, Swallow, Weller
GWS: Greene, Coniglio, Cameron, Kelly
Hawthorn: Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara, Sicily
Melbourne: Brayshaw, Oliver, Gawn, Viney
North: Ziebell, Higgins, Brown, Cunnington
Port: Gray, Jonas, Dixon, Boak
Richmond: Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt
St Kilda: Steven, Ross, Geary, Carlisle
Sydney: Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Heeney
West Coast: Shuey, Naitanui, McGovern, Yeo
Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, McLean, Macrae

Apologies if I have your teams best players out of whack, it is actually quite hard!
Not a bad crack at it although Josh Kennedy (WCE) stiff. Has to be in. Have him as the best forward in the comp with J Riewoldt.

If all players were fit and firing, then I think ours is pretty good. 4 premierships, 2 Brownlows, 1 Norm Smith, 2 AFLCAs, 3 Colemans, multiple AAs and BNFs...

Not a bad crack at it although Josh Kennedy (WCE) stiff. Has to be in. Have him as the best forward in the comp with J Riewoldt.

If all players were fit and firing, then I think ours is pretty good. 4 premierships, 2 Brownlows, 1 Norm Smith, 2 AFLCAs, 3 Colemans, multiple AAs and BNFs...
Richmond definitely have a very elite big 4. I have them at the top along with West Coast, Collingwood and GWS.

Kennedy was a hard one and in the end I left him out along with Gaff, who was also AA. It was hard :(

May have to edit some of these choices if enough people think I'm wrong!

That was one of the tough choices! I just went with the fact that Pendlebury has played longer at the elite level, but Beams could easily be argued here.
Right now Beams is the much better player though.

Rewind to 2017/18 and it's the Tigers. Rance was winning consecutive AAs, Reiwoldt was the best forward of 2018 with an AA and Coleman, Dusty was winning AAs and won everything in 2017 and Cotchin was just performing every week.

Fast forward to round 4 2019 and none of them will play this weekend. Probably have to say they have been overtaken in 2019, I would go with either GWS or Collingwood.

Replace Nic Nat and put in JK for the Eagles. McGovern, JK, Shuey and Yeo is right up there too.

Rewind to 2017/18 and it's the Tigers. Rance was winning consecutive AAs, Reiwoldt was the best forward of 2018 with an AA and Coleman, Dusty was winning AAs and won everything in 2017 and Cotchin was just performing every week.

Fast forward to round 4 2019 and none of them will play this weekend. Probably have to say they have been overtaken in 2019, I would go with either GWS or Collingwood.

Replace Nic Nat and put in JK for the Eagles. McGovern, JK, Shuey and Yeo is right up there too.
A horrible run of luck for Richmond early in this season (though Martin's is self inflicted)

One thing I noticed in that list is how poor Melbourne's big 4 is in comparison to the rest of that list.

I mean every player in that list is probably A grade, but theirs and Carlton stand out as a bit below the rest in terms of quality. And Carlton would probably be on top if we were seeing doc in full form this year.

I think you have Brisbane's 4 right as of now, but by mid season I'd expect McLuggage to replace Cameron.

Last edited:
A horrible run of luck for Richmond early in this season (though Martin's is self inflicted)
Not a great start, sucks because they are great players to watch too so it's not as enjoyable right now, watching a lot of real average players run around at the Tigers. At least some kids are getting opportunities and look impressive like Stack.

Hopefully get a few back and can try and realign our season. Dont think we are gonna win a anything but would just be happy to go to another final.

Not a great start, sucks because they are great players to watch too so it's not as enjoyable right now, watching a lot of real average players run around at the Tigers. At least some kids are getting opportunities and look impressive like Stack.

Hopefully get a few back and can try and realign our season. Dont think we are gonna win a anything but would just be happy to go to another final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I noticed in that list is how poor Melbourne's big 4 is in comparison to the rest of that list.

I mean every player in that list is probably A grade, but theirs and Carlton stand out as a bit below the rest in terms of quality. And Carlton would probably be on top if we were seeing doc in full form this year.

I think you have Brisbane's 4 right as of now, but by mid season I'd expect McLuggage to replace Cameron.

Oliver and Gawn are A grade you peanut.
Lever McDonald would be our other big 4 members but ACL and out of form

Yeah you get that. You win a flag and everybody screams back to back .As an Eagles fan i know things change . Remember Hawthorn , Doggies and Richmond ? I,ll keep my mouth shut and my powder dry.Forget about Malthouses whinge about coaches having less control. It,s not about them. The free flowing game is exposing the negating hacks.

Oliver and Gawn are A grade you peanut.
Lever McDonald would be our other big 4 members but ACL and out of form

Hey "Peanut" - If you could read I said the whole list is probably A Grade. I just don't think your top 4 list as a whole is as good as other teams.

Why do you think your 0 - 3 team has a better top 4 than the rest?

Hey "Peanut" - If you could read I said the whole list is probably A Grade. I just don't think your top 4 list as a whole is as good as other teams.

Why do you think your 0 - 3 team has a better top 4 than the rest?

Fair enough I read it as 'everyone has quality except Carlton and Melbourne'

No I agree our top end doesn't sit with the rest of the comp

Get to 7th then do a bulldogs

Hard to go past Richmond's. Also, how is Geary part of St. Kilda's? Gresham clearly in it.

Yeah you get that. You win a flag and everybody screams back to back .As an Eagles fan i know things change . Remember Hawthorn , Doggies and Richmond ? I,ll keep my mouth shut and my powder dry.Forget about Malthouses whinge about coaches having less control. It,s not about them. The free flowing game is exposing the negating hacks.
We were as good a shot as any for B2B. As are the Eagles. The thing is it's hard to do, and no matter how good you are all year, even if you make it to the GF, the season ain't over until the 4th quarter of it.

Back