Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond’s big 4 have been impressive
2 brownlows
1 norm smith
3 colemans
12 all australians

Geelong's big 4 have been impressive. If we're going to do it, we may as well list players that are going to be fit to run out this weekend.

1,053 games
1,313 goals
7 Premierships
3 Brownlows
6 MVP's
4 AFLCA
4 AFLPA Most Courageous
1 AFLPA Best Captain
21 AAs
13 b&f
1 Rising Star

Midnight Oil
Split Enz
Skyhooks
Cold Chisel

Yes
Genesis
Jethro Tull
Pink Floyd

Not in any order.

P.S. Richmond have a fantastic quartet of elite players but it’s also the others that we are missing that hurts the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewind to 2017/18 and it's the Tigers. Rance was winning consecutive AAs, Reiwoldt was the best forward of 2018 with an AA and Coleman, Dusty was winning AAs and won everything in 2017 and Cotchin was just performing every week.

Fast forward to round 4 2019 and none of them will play this weekend. Probably have to say they have been overtaken in 2019, I would go with either GWS or Collingwood.

Replace Nic Nat and put in JK for the Eagles. McGovern, JK, Shuey and Yeo is right up there too.

Probably more proof they are the big 4, Richmond are a toothless tiger without these 4 at their best or unavailable. The other players who seemed good players go back to being very average without these 4 in the side.

Constantly hearing about Richmond's 'big 4' has got me thinking - whose is best?

We never hear about any other team and their 'big 4', almost as if there isn't any other that exists.

It's actually quite impressive just how good the top 4 players are from each team.

You can definitely understand how difficult a win would be when 2-3 players of your 'Big 4' are injured (see Richmond).

Adelaide: Sloane, Laird, Crouch, Walker
Brisbane: Zorko, Neale, Andrews, Cameron
Carlton: Cripps, Simpson, Murphy, Docherty
Collingwood: Treloar, Pendlebury, De Goey, Grundy
Essendon: Heppell, Shiel, Smith, Merrett
Fremantle: Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Walters
Geelong: Kelly, Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins
Gold Coast: Harbrow, Witts, Swallow, Weller
GWS: Greene, Coniglio, Cameron, Kelly
Hawthorn: Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara, Sicily
Melbourne: Brayshaw, Oliver, Gawn, Viney
North: Ziebell, Higgins, Brown, Cunnington
Port: Gray, Jonas, Dixon, Boak
Richmond: Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt
St Kilda: Steven, Ross, Geary, Carlisle
Sydney: Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Heeney
West Coast: Shuey, Naitanui, McGovern, Yeo
Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, McLean, Macrae

Apologies if I have your teams best players out of whack, it is actually quite hard!

give it a year or two and Carlton's will be up there, Cripps, Curnow, Mckay and Walsh

I'm surprised at the lack of love for the GWS 4.
Would take Kelly, Coniglio, Cameron and Greene over all others without question.
Would also take any 3 of the above 4 + Whitfield as well.

The Sheedy medal votes indicate it was Whitfield, Coniglio, Davis and Ward. Somewhat that's Kelly and Greene missing games. It's probably more accurate in terms of value to the team though. The OP is more about talent.

A horrible run of luck for Richmond early in this season (though Martin's is self inflicted)
I feel for any player who has to miss games due to injuries, believe me I do. However if ever a supporter base ever deserved to feel the wrath of a heavily depleted side then it’s Richmond after the tripe their fans peddled out last year

I'm surprised at the lack of love for the GWS 4.
Would take Kelly, Coniglio, Cameron and Greene over all others without question.
Would also take any 3 of the above 4 + Whitfield as well.

Really?

What has this four actually achieved compared to others?

They are still young with their best ahead of them so that I could agree with but ahead of all others is a huge call.

Really need to break this down into players over 25 and those under 25.

Really?

What has this four actually achieved compared to others?

They are still young with their best ahead of them so that I could agree with but ahead of all others is a huge call.

Really need to break this down into players over 25 and those under 25.
Kelly is the only one under 25 this season though.

Richmond definitely have a very elite big 4. I have them at the top along with West Coast, Collingwood and GWS.

Kennedy was a hard one and in the end I left him out along with Gaff, who was also AA. It was hard :(

May have to edit some of these choices if enough people think I'm wrong!

The Eagles dont have a big 4, they are far more even than say the Tiges.

I feel for any player who has to miss games due to injuries, believe me I do. However if ever a supporter base ever deserved to feel the wrath of a heavily depleted side then it’s Richmond after the tripe their fans peddled out last year

Agreed. Some Richmond fans have been over the top in their self adulation and talking down other sides with injuries.

It will be interesting to see just how the Richmond list and team responds to losing some of their top players. Pies and Eagles copped a lot of injuries last season to top line players and the Tigers for the past two seasons have had a dream run.

They are fortunate that Lynch is there to help cover Rewauldt. The other three are not so easily covered.

Back