Preview Changes v pies, Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still not sure Dickson can kick consistently over 35-40m anymore.

The goal he got in the Freo game he was only 40-45m out and it looked like he decided to just barrel it as hard as he could and hope it was straight. He sure didn't take his shots like that in his prime.

He looked very slow and sore against Freo following his heroics against Hawthorn.
The goal he got in the Freo game he was only 40-45m out and it looked like he decided to just barrel it as hard as he could and hope it was straight. He sure didn't take his shots like that in his prime.
Are you in an alternate universe? Are we less s**t there? Can I come?

Richards and JJ stay in the backline, Bont stays forward to marshall our weakest area, Dunkley back into the midfield 70 percent of the time and rotates smith, suckling and Wallis through the middle with Bont only in an emergency. We need to find a way to score and he's mister fix it (if he can learn to kick straight!)

Wood. Cordy . Crozier
JJ. Naughton. Richards
Hunter. Libba. McLean
Dickson. Shache. Lloyd
Wallis. Bont. Gowers

Trengove (or English). Dunkley. Macrae

Daniel. Smith. Suckling. Jong

We could use Jong's toughness if he is ready

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Forward line of.

Gowers, Schache, Dickson
JJ, Naughton, Bont

Most firepower we probably can ever choose and Dunkley/McLean/Wallis to play longer midfield minutes.

Bont sore and JJ underdone a factor as to why I’d play them forward but also to increase forward pressure and kick more goals (if Bont kicks straight).

Schache's effort against GC was insipid in contrast to his very good game against the Hawks. His challenge this year is to be more consistent and attack the ball more often in the air. Hopefully, he will do better on the G with more space to lead into.

Schache's effort against GC was insipid in contrast to his very good game against the Hawks. His challenge this year is to be more consistent and attack the ball more often in the air. Hopefully, he will do better on the G with more space to lead into.

He should have had a free kick for arm chop in nearly every contest. He needs to be stronger but I hope the club is talking to the umpires department at every opportunity about it. Schache and Boyd should be milking these frees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young has impressed me a little, I thought he was pretty solid on the weekend again and didn't make too many mistakes. Saying that, the Pies play a smaller / faster fwd line and there doesn't look like a clear matchup for him. I would bring him out for team balance this week and bring in Bailey Williams for some more run and then JJ in for Richards who has been a bit quiet unfortunately. Lipinski is next in line if they want to make 3 changes and could be rewarded for good VFL form.

JJ and Williams in

Richards and Young out.

Next change in line Lipinski for Dickson (rest, short break) or Lloyd (good so far, but awful on the weekend)

Given the type of player he is, I'd be tempted to take the conservative approach with JJ.

Can't see the point of rushing him back underdone only to risk further injury in the coming months.

Given the type of player he is, I'd be tempted to take the conservative approach with JJ.

Can't see the point of rushing him back underdone only to risk further injury in the coming months.

I don't think he will be coming back underdone, not getting rushed back either as he is in the exact timeline laid out for him when he did the injury. Has been running for a while now and if he plays Friday, there won't be any more risk than if he played VFL IMO. I don't think they are taking any risks with JJ by bringing him back now when he is healthy, could have played last week by all accounts but they have been conservative.

Forward line of.

Gowers, Schache, Dickson
JJ, Naughton, Bont

Most firepower we probably can ever choose and Dunkley/McLean/Wallis to play longer midfield minutes.

Bont sore and JJ underdone a factor as to why I’d play them forward but also to increase forward pressure and kick more goals (if Bont kicks straight).
Why is Bont sore he finished the game and he won the clearance to set up Gowers to level the game.

Why is Bont sore he finished the game and he won the clearance to set up Gowers to level the game.
I think he got a corky. It's not unusual for players to play out the game with one of those but still needs post-match attention.
Or was it a knee? Some sort of knock-induced soreness anyway.

A seven day break would have suited him better but he sounds like a likely starter for Friday.

Dickson had a press conference today about his 100th game, spoke about his kid flying down from QLD on Friday to run through the banner with him. Given this, he'll surely be playing.

He played a Dicko of old game against Hawks. Great game by Dicko. But 7 days later he looked sore and sorry against Gold Diggers Coast and stuggled to stretch his hammies and his back enough to kick the distance from 40 meters out. How is he going to go after a 5 day break this week? This will be a disaster which will hasten his permanent omission from the seniors this season, which is no doubt his last.

I would be giving him a rest and bring in Bailey Dale or even Lipinski or Fergus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back